Should Presidents have absolute immunity for life?

18 members have voted

1. 1. Should Presidents have absolute immunity for life?

• Yes
    • No

5 hours ago, ChiGoose said:

I really would encourage you to read the report where it discusses what evidence they actually have that they can bring to court and why it would ultimately be unsuccessful.

Oh, that's right: because he's senile...

2 hours ago, ChiGoose said:

I cannot help those who are unwilling to help themselves.

Either you cannot read or you are being intentionally ignorant. 

Says the guy who still believes that Joke didn't know he had classified material all over his house.  Or more likely you're hiding behind the "you can't prove it" because you know he's guilty but still have to put up the charade that what he did is no better than Trump, if not worse because he wasn't President and showed it to people unqualified to see it.

There's nothing in the Constitution, and no federal statute that could even be considered for this. It's really ridiculous ANY court even took the case.  No standing whatsoever.  Now, this is what was said in the Appeals court:

Judge Florence Pan asked Sauer whether immunity would cover a sitting president who orders the assassination of a political opponent. Sauer responded that prosecution could only start after a successful impeachment conviction

Again, where does his idea that you have to have an impeachment conviction first come from?  His butthole???  If he meant that you can't prosecute a sitting president(which imo is bs), then fine.  Is Trump president right now??  No, so what's the holdup?  

1 hour ago, Doc said:

Says the guy who still believes that Joke didn't know he had classified material all over his house.  Or more likely you're hiding behind the "you can't prove it" because you know he's guilty but still have to put up the charade that what he did is no better than Trump, if not worse because he wasn't President and showed it to people unqualified to see it.

I’ve said what I continue to say: the reason Biden, Hillary, and Pence were not prosecuted is because their cases differ significantly from Trump’s and would almost certainly lose in court. 

I’m sorry that reality doesn’t match your narrative but that’s just how it works sometimes. 

But to bring it back to the topic of the thread, if Trump is right about presidential election immunity, then Biden can’t be prosecuted anyway even if he decides to just start selling our secrets, so long as the Dems don’t vote to impeach him. 

18 hours ago, ChiGoose said:

I’ve said what I continue to say: the reason Biden, Hillary, and Pence were not prosecuted is because their cases differ significantly from Trump’s and would almost certainly lose in court. 

I’m sorry that reality doesn’t match your narrative but that’s just how it works sometimes. 

But to bring it back to the topic of the thread, if Trump is right about presidential election immunity, then Biden can’t be prosecuted anyway even if he decides to just start selling our secrets, so long as the Dems don’t vote to impeach him. 

I've said numerous times I'm not asking for prosecution for what Joke did because they all take classified material.  And after that devastating  (and incomplete since he didn't hold the ghostwriter's feet to the fire like he should have) Gye report, I'm not even calling for impeachment anymore, which the Repubs could easily justify.  But "he didn't know he had it" was a bull#### excuse from the beginning and even more so after the Hur report.  If you want to continue to believe it (because your psyche won't allow you to believe Joke is as much of a criminal, if not more, than Trump), that says more about you than anything else.

Edited by Doc
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 2/29/2024 at 3:43 PM, billsfan_34 said:

I am not saying your wrong. What I wrestle with is that Presidents, who make 1000’s of executive decisions during their time in office, would be very hesitant if they thought every move could be construed as criminal. I almost guarantee every President on both sides, to date, has “bended the laws” to keep us safe or what they thought was in the best interest of our country. It’s a very slippery slope indeed and could set a precedence that leaves all of us vulnerable.

You have much more faith in them than i do i believe that the majority of the decisions they make are to move their agenda's forward & that comes before anything is for the people .

Most of the things they talk about in the Lame stream media are talking points that make people think they really are looking out for us but the things that worry me are the things that are in the bill that they are not talking or telling us about .

Politicians in general for the most part are lawyers schooled in exactly how to twist words in the law to make it hard for even some of the most educated know exactly what the true interpretation of those words really are .

IMHO if the politicians were really caring about the country & it's people they would have never done away with the gold standard so they could just print as much money as they want, not have kept the country in wars, & never had put the Federal Reserve act into place so that the gov't it self has to pay interest on what use to be the gov't's money but because of that act we or should i say the federal government is now $34 TRILLION in debt to the federal reserve .

And all the BS ing in the US gov't will never make that go away it will just continually grow to a point to where 1 day the US will have to default on all of it & the country will be bankrupt which in truth it already is ...

And it is all thanks to the politicians that we the people voted into place .

• Like (+1) 2

The problem here is with the word "absolute"

Presidents should be protected from lawsuits and prosecution for carrying out their own policies while in office.

Common sense.

But not from breaking actual laws.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Trump is going to jail 

I don’t think he will ever see jail time and that’s fine.

I just want him banned from ever being POTUS again in the future.

Unfit

Corrupt AF

Compromised AF

Nazi

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, BillStime said:

I don’t think he will ever see jail time and that’s fine.

I just want him banned from ever being POTUS again in the future.

Unfit

Corrupt AF

Compromised AF

Nazi

I dunno, the prosecutors are sure trying to get his ass tossed in jail. We shall see. 

On 1/16/2024 at 12:25 PM, BillStime said:

No they shouldn't and that is the exact reason why Joe should be in court right now because of all the lies about not knowing anything about Hunters business deals & why he got paid and he lied about that . It needs to be equal across the board bring as much down n him as they have the orange man then i'll be good with it .

This double standard BS is for the birds everything is treated differently with him, A VP is not allowed to take documents but he did and stored them where a KNOWN cocaine addict that worked directly for a Communist Chinese company but there investigation was little of nothing WTF ??? 

The New American Justice system at it's best !!! 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

Conald was corrupt before his tenure in the White House.

He remained corrupt during his presidency.

And Conald continues to be corrupt today.

Donnie, are you suggesting that after nearly 250 years as a country, presidents require immunity now?

GTFOH 

9 minutes ago, BillStime said:

Justices Sonia Sotomayor and Ketanji Brown Jackson just destroyed Trump's lawyer.

Trump’s lawyers know they are going to lose this battle. Their arguments are ridiculous. 

But they are going to win the war. Their goal isn’t to win the cases, it’s simply to delay them. This hearing has already delayed the case despite the fact that the Special Counsel asked SCOTUS to hear this issue months ago but they declined. 

What Trump’s team is hoping for here is a remand. It’d be pointless because there is no reading of the Constitution or law that makes overturning an election an official act, but it would mean that Chutkin would have to make that ruling. As soon as she does, Trump will appeal, eventually all of the way up to SCOTUS. 

By then, it’ll be too late to have the trial by the election, depriving the public of knowledge as to whether or not Trump is guilty. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, ChiGoose said:

Trump’s lawyers know they are going to lose this battle. Their arguments are ridiculous. 

But they are going to win the war. Their goal isn’t to win the cases, it’s simply to delay them. This hearing has already delayed the case despite the fact that the Special Counsel asked SCOTUS to hear this issue months ago but they declined. 

What Trump’s team is hoping for here is a remand. It’d be pointless because there is no reading of the Constitution or law that makes overturning an election an official act, but it would mean that Chutkin would have to make that ruling. As soon as she does, Trump will appeal, eventually all of the way up to SCOTUS. 

By then, it’ll be too late to have the trial by the election, depriving the public of knowledge as to whether or not Trump is guilty. 

100%

7 minutes ago, ChiGoose said:

Which is why trump will do absolutely anything including fomenting a civil war to get in the white house and pardon himself and/or throw out the cases....He's betting his life on "winning"

• Disagree 1

24 minutes ago, BillStime said:

Justices Sonia Sotomayor and Ketanji Brown Jackson just destroyed Trump's lawyer.

True. Trump's lawyer just conceded enough to make it clear that the case will be sent back to the District (trial) Court to decide what alleged actions constitute "official acts" and which are "private acts."

Makes you wonder why the Supreme Court saw any need to step into the process too early, thereby delaying the trial ...

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Makes you wonder why the Supreme Court

Does it?

I mean, you have the MAGA contingency of the court looking out for one person - and one person only.

History will not be kind to MAGA.

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/25/2024 at 10:33 AM, The Frankish Reich said:

True. Trump's lawyer just conceded enough to make it clear that the case will be sent back to the District (trial) Court to decide what alleged actions constitute "official acts" and which are "private acts."

Makes you wonder why the Supreme Court saw any need to step into the process too early, thereby delaying the trial ...

This SCOTUS believes in states rights unless the state is doing something it doesn't like; originalism unless the original meaning of a law is something it doesn't like; textualism unless the text doesn't say what they want it to say; precedents are things to ignore or overturn; judges are historians, scientists, and medical experts...

Attempts to understand a consistent jurisprudence for this court fails against just thinking about what it is that the GOP would want.

• Like (+1) 1

The fascist are so exited hearing their use of the legal system might work to throw the election.

But like all the other times the same voices said the same things, they will need to come up with a conspiracy of why it didnt work soon.

The whole immunity thing is ridiculous.  So is the pardoning himself thing.  If either were true, a president could do ANYTHING they wanted.  If they don't have immunity, they could just simply pardon themselves before or after they commit the crime.  Complete nonsense, and we have a SCOTUS so corrupt, they're actually hearing it.  Why did Ford pardon Nixon, when he could have just pardoned himself???

14 minutes ago, daz28 said:

The whole immunity thing is ridiculous.  So is the pardoning himself thing.  If either were true, a president could do ANYTHING they wanted.  If they don't have immunity, they could just simply pardon themselves before or after they commit the crime.  Complete nonsense, and we have a SCOTUS so corrupt, they're actually hearing it.  Why did Ford pardon Nixon, when he could have just pardoned himself???

To believe the immunity argument that Trump's lawyers are pushing, you would have to believe that the Founders, having just finished a war against a King, created a president that could have their political opponents killed and threaten or coerce Congress into not impeaching them (which might be successful if they were on a murder spree) and there would be absolutely nothing anybody could do about it.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Tommy Callahan said:

The fascist are so exited hearing their use of the legal system might work to throw the election.

But like all the other times the same voices said the same things, they will need to come up with a conspiracy of why it didnt work soon.

You. are calling the people that DON'T want a president to be above the law "fascists." 

There's a reason you clowns keep losing elections. You are not tethered to reality. You are coo coo, nuts, bonkers 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1