Jan 11. 2017: Sean McDermott is hired to coach the Bills

11 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Man.  Talk about a good decision.  Seven years later, four straight division titles.  Playoffs six times.  

After all those years of failure.  

He is a great REGULAR SEASON coach. Nobody can or will deny that. The playoff failures however still exist. 

11 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Man.  Talk about a good decision.  Seven years later, four straight division titles.  Playoffs six times.  

After all those years of failure.  

He is a great REGULAR SEASON coach. Nobody can or will deny that. The playoff failures however still exist. 

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Gregg said:

I wouldnt exactly call them playoff failure. He is 4-5. Which isnt horrible... especially considering the first 2 years he was in playoffs we were still building. So really since the Josh Allen broke out we have been 4-3. There are teams that havent won a playoff game in years. Ravens have been 1-3 with Jackson as their QB. Dak Prescott has been 2-4.  But i wouldnt consider them failures because we have lost to better teams. Bengals i would say were better last year... especially at end of the season. Chiefs were better both years they beat us.... we almost came away with an upset but they were just better teams with Hill. Texans were a big favorite but we took them to overtime. Jaguars were also a big favorite over us.

I wouldnt call them failures. We have beat the teams we were supposed to beat and lost to the teams we were supposed to lose to. We just havent had any luck and grabbed that upset they we needed for a Superbowl run. The playoffs are supposed to be harder. The level of competition is supposed to be greater. Especially in the AFC... its a much tougher road rn than being an NFC team. And at the end of the day only one team can represent the AFC in the Superbowl. You need to have a little bit of luck on your side to make it. 

And i think if we won that shootout with the Chiefs or the coin flip went out way we would have been holding up a lombardi trophy that year which is why I think a little luck is needed.

• Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Kmart128 said:

I wouldnt exactly call them playoff failure. He is 4-5. Which isnt horrible... especially considering the first 2 years he was in playoffs we were still building. So really since the Josh Allen broke out we have been 4-3. There are teams that havent won a playoff game in years. Ravens have been 1-3 with Jackson as their QB. Dak Prescott has been 2-4.  But i wouldnt consider them failures because we have lost to better teams. Bengals i would say were better last year... especially at end of the season. Chiefs were better both years they beat us.... we almost came away with an upset but they were just better teams with Hill. Texans were a big favorite but we took them to overtime. Jaguars were also a big favorite over us.

I wouldnt call them failures. We have beat the teams we were supposed to beat and lost to the teams we were supposed to lose to. We just havent had any luck and grabbed that upset they we needed for a Superbowl run. The playoffs are supposed to be harder. The level of competition is supposed to be greater. Especially in the AFC... its a much tougher road rn than being an NFC team. And at the end of the day only one team can represent the AFC in the Superbowl. You need to have a little bit of luck on your side to make it. 

And i think if we won that shootout with the Chiefs or the coin flip went out way we would have been holding up a lombardi trophy that year which is why I think a little luck is needed.

Thank you for responding.  I knew my post would generate these negative posts, and I have trouble keeping my cool responding to them. 

If the Bills fired McDermott today, how long would it be before New England hired him?  Seattle?  

It's absurd to demean a guy with his regular season record AND his playoff record, as you point out. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, JÂy RÛßeÒ said:

Right?!?  IIRC he made it through that draft in April and was let go a few days after.

The Sunday after the draft. He was little more than a glorified personnel assistant that spring.

41 minutes ago, Kmart128 said:

Yea he has lost only to teams who were better or, at least on a par with the Bills. He hasn't yet lost a playoff game to a team that is clearly less talented. If he starts doing that I think the "failure in the playoffs line" becomes more appropriate and the scrutiny on his job grows. Just hope the weather isn't too much of a leveller this weekend. 

2 hours ago, Gregg said:

So hiring McDermott was a bad decision?

1 minute ago, Shaw66 said:

So hiring McDermott was a bad decision?

Not at all. Give him all the credit for changing the culture and turning the Bills into winners. But at some point, he has to get them over the hump and deliver a championship or at least get there. The Eagles moved on from Reid and he had more success there than Sean has had here. It would be a shame if the Bills can't win or at least get to a Super Bowl when they have #17. 

13 minutes ago, Gregg said:

Not at all. Give him all the credit for changing the culture and turning the Bills into winners. But at some point, he has to get them over the hump and deliver a championship or at least get there. The Eagles moved on from Reid and he had more success there than Sean has had here. It would be a shame if the Bills can't win or at least get to a Super Bowl when they have #17. 

This is a thread about history, not the future.  The history is simple:  over his tenure, McDermott isnone of the most accomplished coaches in the league.  

I'd say, if you want to talk about the future, start your thread.  

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

This is a thread about history, not the future.  The history is simple:  over his tenure, McDermott isnone of the most accomplished coaches in the league.  

Again, that is regular season success. 

13 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Found an old NFL article ranking them....

1.)  Anthony Lynn

2.)  Sean McVay

3.)  Vance Joseph

4.)  Kyle Shanahan

5.)  Doug Marrone

6.)  Sean McDermott - It's unfair to rank McDermott this low, but someone has to bring up the rear. McDermott is well respected throughout the NFL, but he has the fewest tangible assets and perhaps the most difficult job of the new coaches.  

The Bills have high expectations and a flawed roster. The organization also has an entrenched GM in Doug Whaley who hasn't shown a great aptitude for finding talent. McDermott made his name as a defensive coordinator for the Carolina Panthers under a defensive-minded head coach in Ron Rivera, so it's difficult to tease out what his impact was. The Panthers' defense wasn't exactly a shutdown unit in his tenure, despite being well-coached. McDermott has been a defensive coordinator the last eight seasons between his time in Philadelphia and Carolina. Those defenses ranked in the top 10 in points allowed twice.

McDermott's offensive coordinator will be former Broncos OC Rick Dennison, a coach who was attached at the hip to Gary Kubiak for most of the last two decades. The Bills will likely be breaking in a new quarterback, one of many challenges for Dennison in the role. Perhaps McDermott and Dennison are NFL lifers who just needed this chance to show their value. They will have to be exceptional to excel in Buffalo, where they face an uphill task.

This showed that Rosenthal knew nothing about the Bills situation.  At that point Whaley had been muted by the Pegulas.  Hardly entrenched, as we soon found out as soon as the draft was done.  

15 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

https://www.nfl.com/news/ranking-nfl-coaching-hires-anthony-lynn-at-no-1-0ap3000000778807

Ranking from NFL. Com on all the coaching hires that year. Any guesses who's number 1? Hint: Not McVay OR Shanahan 

So many hilarious quotes from this one:

Washington's offense made Mcvay look good. Will he struggle without their personnel group?

Vance Joseph is a promising coach because of working with Adam gase, gary kubiak, and Marvin Lewis.

Doug Marrone will be a better coach than McDermott. 

Love looking back at these things

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Gregg said:

Again, that is regular season success. 

There are only 5 active coaches with at least as many playoff appearances and a better won loss percentage.  Every other head coach either has been to the playoffs fewer times or won less or both.  

There are more measures of success than winning a Lombardi.  

He was a good hire, both for the regular seasons and the playoffs.  

Every team wants to win the Super Bowl.  Do you really think any team with an opening would not hire McDermott be ause he hasn't won one?  Any team? 

You're being unhappy doesn't mean McDermott hasn't been a success to date.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Don't engage the cretins. 

7 hours ago, Kmart128 said:

Inexcusable not to have a superbowl appearance when your team has a qb and wr as elite as allen and Diggs and a team who's roster is as good as the Bills roster over the last 4 or 5 seasons ...coaches have has failed us time and time again in the playoffs imo

On 1/12/2024 at 4:40 PM, Billever76 said:

Inexcusable not to have a superbowl appearance when your team has a qb and wr as elite as allen and Diggs and a team who's roster is as good as the Bills roster over the last 4 or 5 seasons ...coaches have has failed us time and time again in the playoffs imo

You can see that but the Bengals and Chiefs have just been better teams the past few years. We have been a great team.  But there are other great teams in our conference. I honestly think this year is our best shot with other teams having a down year and us getting hot at the right time. This may be our best chance at a Superbowl even if it hasnt been our best year 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.