The Bills D: How "the Replacements" helped right the ship after devastating injuries

Special K

Back in October, when the Bills lost Tre White, Matt Milano and DaQuan Jones to season ending, or in Jones' case nearly season ending injuries, I along with many of you thought the Bills D was sunk and their playoff and Super Bowl chances took a tremendous hit.

However, as the season has gone along, the Defense has really gotten its groove back, and IMO, they were the primary reason why the Bills have won the last three games. Their success can be directly attributed to a group of players I have affectionately dubbed "The Replacements":

Rasul Douglas: I remember reading a tweet when the Bills traded for Douglas saying that Rasul was the most Buffalo Bills-like player not on the Buffalo Bills, and boy were they right! This guy has done nothing but make plays since he got here....sacks interceptions, big hits, you name it.....plus he brings the nasty attitude the Bills have been lacking since Milano went down. One of the best in-season trades you will ever see.

Tyrel Dodson: Replacing Matt Milano, who I believe to be the heart and soul of this Defense, is not an easy task. Dodson is not the best player on the D, like Collinsworth said last night, and like a healthy Milano would be, but he has held his own, and has gotten better each week, making a lot of plays especially in the run game....he has been a pleasant surprise to me.

Taylor Rapp: With Micah Hyde struggling with injuries all year, Rapp has been forced into a bigger role than I thought he would have, and he has responded well to the increased playing time. This is another guy Beane brought in on the cheap that has really paid off. His good play at safety has also allowed Poyer to move down into the box more and play that hybrid S/LB position that Milano was responsible for on passing downs.

Linval Joseph: Another great in season pickup by Beane. Joseph is as advertised as a space-eating DT that helped replace the loss of Jones in the middle. Getting Jones back along with Joseph should only bolster the Bills strong run D.

Say what you want about McDermott, but he has done a heck of a job keeping this D playing at such a high level despite all the injuries.

Let's keep this hot streak going, and ride it all the way to the Super Bowl!!!!

Go Bills!!!!!

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

Agree except Joseph does not had Daquan Jones’ pass rush capabilities. 

He's been a solid Band-Aid though, also Rapp I don't know he makes some plays I guess, but it never seems like he plays the ball. I swear he's always looking to hit the guy he's never looking for the ball.

1 minute ago, Warcodered said:

He's been a solid Band-Aid though, also Rapp I don't know he makes some plays I guess, but it never seems like he plays the ball. I swear he's always looking to hit the guy he's never looking for the ball.

Unfortunately many times the guy he hits and injures is his own teammate...usually while the opponent player is already in the process of going to the ground while being tackled making me wonder why does he need to come in like a heat seeking missile in those situations?

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Unfortunately many times the guy he hits and injures is his own teammate...usually while the opponent player is already in the process of going to the ground while being tackled making me wonder why does he need to come in like a heat seeking missile in those situations?

Yeah that's bad, but I mean there's been plays where he was in the area and if he'd seen the ball it really feels like he could have made a play on it, at least broken it up.

1 hour ago, Special K said:

Back in October, when the Bills lost Tre White, Matt Milano and DaQuan Jones to season ending, or in Jones' case nearly season ending injuries, I along with many of you thought the Bills D was sunk and their playoff and Super Bowl chances took a tremendous hit.

However, as the season has gone along, the Defense has really gotten its groove back, and IMO, they were the primary reason why the Bills have won the last three games. Their success can be directly attributed to a group of players I have affectionately dubbed "The Replacements":

Rasul Douglas: I remember reading a tweet when the Bills traded for Douglas saying that Rasul was the most Buffalo Bills-like player not on the Buffalo Bills, and boy were they right! This guy has done nothing but make plays since he got here....sacks interceptions, big hits, you name it.....plus he brings the nasty attitude the Bills have been lacking since Milano went down. One of the best in-season trades you will ever see.

Tyrel Dodson: Replacing Matt Milano, who I believe to be the heart and soul of this Defense, is not an easy task. Dodson is not the best player on the D, like Collinsworth said last night, and like a healthy Milano would be, but he has held his own, and has gotten better each week, making a lot of plays especially in the run game....he has been a pleasant surprise to me.

Taylor Rapp: With Micah Hyde struggling with injuries all year, Rapp has been forced into a bigger role than I thought he would have, and he has responded well to the increased playing time. This is another guy Beane brought in on the cheap that has really paid off. His good play at safety has also allowed Poyer to move down into the box more and play that hybrid S/LB position that Milano was responsible for on passing downs.

Linval Joseph: Another great in season pickup by Beane. Joseph is as advertised as a space-eating DT that helped replace the loss of Jones in the middle. Getting Jones back along with Joseph should only bolster the Bills strong run D.

Say what you want about McDermott, but he has done a heck of a job keeping this D playing at such a high level despite all the injuries.

Let's keep this hot streak going, and ride it all the way to the Super Bowl!!!!

Go Bills!!!!!

Minor detail… I believe regarding the Dodson comment, the much hated Collinsworth was referencing PFF data reports, not necessarily his own opinion. 

45 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

Agree except Joseph does not had Daquan Jones’ pass rush capabilities. 

True, but his run-stuffing abilities are pretty high-end for an in season replacement. 

With Jones coming back, Jones and Joseph should be a solid one two punch at the “1 tech” DT position.

Add in Floyd and Beane has supplied the crucial pieces for this defense to succeed. All these Beane guys are making it happen!

GO BILLS!!!

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.