The somewhat probable scenario where Bills win out and miss the playoffs

ImpactCorey

8 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

Any one of the Dolphins, Bengals, Jags, or Texans loss this week and the Bills control their own destiny by winning out. It's that simple this week.

Someone earlier said Browns but I don't think that is true.  Browns need to drop 2 games IIRC.

The Browns losing works because they still play the Bengals in week 18. Somebody has to lose that game to get to 7 losses. So in that scenario one of Browns/Bengals is guaranteed to be at 7 losses, one of Colts/Texans is guaranteed to be at 7 losses because they also still play each other, and that leaves us a wildcard spot at 11-6 no matter what else happens.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

That’s not what I’m saying though.  I’m saying Miami wins their next two and hence the division, and we win out.  In that scenario, it’s almost certain we still get in as a wild card.

After watching them struggle against a winning team , they’re losing one of the next two, probably both.

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

The Dolphins have a scenario where they don't make it as well.  That would make my year.  I hate Dolphin fans with a passion.

Actually, until the Dolphins beat a playoff caliber team, this scenario is more probable than the one with the Bills winning out and missing the playoffs.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, ImpactCorey said:

I'm not sure how reliable the Oxford "Learners" Dictionary is because it is targeted toward those just learning English (and therefore not a complete reference), but I generally rely on the Oxford English Dictionary which includes all 11 definitions including

In no one's dictionary is a 1% chance "somewhat probable." Write more accurate headlines and people won't question your writing skills.

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, transient said:

Actually, until the Dolphins beat a playoff caliber team, this scenario is more probable than the one with the Bills winning out and missing the playoffs.

Its been 15 months. Last time was that heatstroke game down in Miami last year where they beat us.

18 hours ago, ImpactCorey said:

I keep seeing in simulators that if the Bills win out they have a >99% chance of making the playoffs.  >99% is not 100% so I was curious: what is a scenario where the Bills win out and actually MISS the playoffs?  This is what I came up with:

- First, the Bills win out.  They beat the Chargers, Patriots, and Dolphins.  With how they are playing as of late, very possible.  

- The Dolphins win the 2 games before playing the Bills.   These games are against the Cowboys and the Ravens.  This allows them to still win the division.  These are two difficult match ups and an unlikely outcome but when Miami clicks on offense, anything is possible.

The Fins, Boys, and Ravens are all good teams.  So let's say the Dolphins have a 50-50 chance in each game.  That gives them just a 25% chance of winning both.  They also have a 25% chance of losing both and a 50% chance of winning one and losing the other.  

So if the Bills win out, we likely win the AFCE.

34 minutes ago, Nephilim17 said:

In no one's dictionary is a 1% chance "somewhat probable." Write more accurate headlines and people won't question your writing skills.

Ok, let me lay it out super clear for you.  There is no official percentage applied to the word.   One of its definitions simply means there is reason to believe something could happen.  You may have heard the term "probable cause"?  Guess what?  That does not mean someone is calculating whether or not there is a 51% chance someone is guilty of a crime.  No, it means there is enough of a reasonable concern to look into them.  The word reasonable is very important here.

Now on to this thread.  When I saw that there was a less than 1% chance the Bills win out and miss the playoffs I figured it was because there was no REASON to believe it was actually going to happen.  I assumed it meant there would have to be a bunch of tied games or the Panthers beating a contender.  I was surprised to find that this wasn't the case.  On the contrary, there was a scenario that COULD actually happen.  Yes, it is unlikely because a lot of things have to happen, but there was a reason to believe it could happen.   This was my application of the word.

I have no problem with people saying they do not think it is probable because that's an opinion.  The personal attacks just seem unnecessary for a hypothetical scenario that I thought I would share.

The fact that people are all up in arms about this is funny to me.  Relax and critique the scenario rather than the word.  Is your life really that boring that you need to lash out?

Edited by ImpactCorey
  • Agree 1

25 minutes ago, NyQuil said:

Its been 15 months. Last time was that heatstroke game down in Miami last year where they beat us.

I’d argue the bills and ravens games they won last year were not really playoff caliber teams at the time.  Both had an absurd amount of injuries.  We were missing like 13 starters by halftime that game lol it was absurd.  That was like a preseason lineup and we still outgained them by 300 yards

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan
  • Agree 1

12 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

The Fins, Boys, and Ravens are all good teams.  So let's say the Dolphins have a 50-50 chance in each game.  That gives them just a 25% chance of winning both.  They also have a 25% chance of losing both and a 50% chance of winning one and losing the other.  

So if the Bills win out, we likely win the AFCE.

I totally agree with this take.  Just need the Fins to drop one of the next two games!

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Gugny said:

“Likely to happen,” is the only definition. 

Even “somewhat likely to happen,” doesn’t fit here. 

Infact, “improbable” would be the most correct word to use - and that is the antonym of the word you chose, Chachi. 

As the great guru @Gugny (try not imagine with just a loin cloth size of a banana peel said:

you-keep-using-that-word-meme.jpg

4 hours ago, Sherlock Holmes said:

What brand of Ranch?

4 hours ago, ImpactCorey said:

Blasphemy!!!

I understand.  You want no brand involved and just want generic.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.