The Golf Ball Rollback is Stupid

todd

9 minutes ago, Steve O said:

If you're driving 250+ you should be a single digit handicap. I drive 200 mid summer when there's roll, usually 180-190. On a 6,000 yard course I still hope to break 90 when I stand on the first tee, though admittedly I'm disappointed more often than not on the 18th tee when it's obvious 90 isn't in play. Watch a few youtube videos, if that doesn't work take a lesson.

I have taken a bunch of lessons, watched a lot of YouTube videos, listen regularly to multiple golf podcasts, and practice very regularly. Yet I can’t seem to ever break 90. 

I actually remain puzzled by it, because I feel like my short game is now decent and my putting very much improved. My irons are pretty good, though not long. And I drive it long. 

I basically tend to have one bad shot per hole, and then you add that up, and it’s basically bogey golf or where I am— 90s.

i did play a 9 holes once this summer where I shot a 40. I realized during that round that my chipping was almost perfect. I chipped to within 4 feet or less a bunch of times, leaving 1-putts. I am guessing if I can up my short game to that level consistently, I can shave a lot of strokes off. But that is hard! 

3 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I have taken a bunch of lessons, watched a lot of YouTube videos, listen regularly to multiple golf podcasts, and practice very regularly. Yet I can’t seem to ever break 90. 

I actually remain puzzled by it, because I feel like my short game is now decent and my putting very much improved. My irons are pretty good, though not long. And I drive it long. 

I basically tend to have one bad shot per hole, and then you add that up, and it’s basically bogey golf or where I am— 90s.

i did play a 9 holes once this summer where I shot a 40. I realized during that round that my chipping was almost perfect. I chipped to within 4 feet or less a bunch of times, leaving 1-putts. I am guessing if I can up my short game to that level consistently, I can shave a lot of strokes off. But that is hard! 

Sounds like your issue is mental not technical. As the saying goes, golf is 90% mental, 10% psychological. Hundreds of books on the mental game, read one if you haven't. Only other advice I can give you is worry about your next shot, not your last one (kind of like life itself,it's a game of what's ahead of you, not what's behind you. ) I have a feeling once you break 90 the flood gates will open and you'll be shooting low 80s regularly, and it won't take you nearly as long to break 80 as it did to break 90. Search out this thread next summer and let me know when that happens!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

No impact on me.  I strictly play Robin Hood brand.  

23 hours ago, Joe Ferguson forever said:

anybody want a set of TM RSi1 irons.  left handed, stiff shafts 6-AW.  $125.  Excellent condition.  just got cobra LTD irons and woods on a big sale.  I bought 1000 balls for the club range.  reimbursed thru dues....$450, nice collection of balls.  The  big hitters are actually a prob for our range.  They hit thru it and lose balls...

I'd buy them but you'd probably hit me over the head with them when I came to pick them up.  

Edited by Irv
  • Haha (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Steve O said:

Sounds like your issue is mental not technical. As the saying goes, golf is 90% mental, 10% psychological. Hundreds of books on the mental game, read one if you haven't. Only other advice I can give you is worry about your next shot, not your last one (kind of like life itself,it's a game of what's ahead of you, not what's behind you. ) I have a feeling once you break 90 the flood gates will open and you'll be shooting low 80s regularly, and it won't take you nearly as long to break 80 as it did to break 90. Search out this thread next summer and let me know when that happens!

you are right about the mental issues.

Appreciate the support!! I will report back!! 

8 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I used to live on the 10th green of a PGA tournament course and paid better attention back then. One thing that made sense when I heard and gave it some thought was “putting leaders”. You’d think the guy with the fewest putts per round would be a good thing, but it often means he just missed the green in regulation more. 

When we livid in Hilton Head there was a pretty straight forward course just off the island. Decent shape, not too demanding and cheap. We would sneak in 9 holes after work and I’d usually be in the 43-46 range. I could live with that. Those were probably the most enjoyable golf outings of my life. For some reason I drifted away from it, probably related to kids, time and money. I have no excuses now. 

5 hours ago, Steve O said:

A neighbor of mine in FL was a sports psychologist. He also belonged to the same tennis club and frequently played in a league I was in. It was commonly know that Don, the sports psychologist, would panic if you crowded his second serve, particularly on game or set point. His double fault rate exploded is you stepped in looking to crush a second serve. He was a double fault machine sometimes, and I actually felt badly and stopped doing it. 

No, I never saw him professionally. 😂 

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/7/2023 at 2:15 PM, todd said:

I actually did that when they changed the groove rule. Loved those Titleist wedges, so I kept buying new old stock pretty cheap for years. Sold the ones I didn’t use last summer and this summer. Did pretty well! 

I've got to think that there are going to be plenty of manufacturers out there who are not interested in following this new restriction.

They might not be Titleists or Callaways, but I can't imagine that you won't be able to find balls that are similar to what you're playing now. 

Buy stock in Chinese companies called Titelist and Calloway.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Simon said:

I've got to think that there are going to be plenty of manufacturers out there who are not interested in following this new restriction.

They might not be Titleists or Callaways, but I can't imagine that you won't be able to find balls that are similar to what you're playing now. 

it will be interesting to see what costco does.  their kirkland balls are complete clones of pro V1's and they were sued by titleist.  therefore, i don't see them worrying overly about the new regs...and they're very good, cheap balls.

My favorite golf experiences are usually best ball tourneys(aka "captains choice").  get a team of friends together and shoot under par.  It's a blast to work as a team and bad shots don't cost u cuz another player picks u up.  plus the garbage cheats (red tees, a throw, mulligans) are fund raisers for good causes....throws are hilarious.  I once hit a 5 iron to 6 feet.  my buddy got to the green, picked up the ball, took a step with a pivot foot, dropped the ball in the hole and said "Nice hole in one, Bill!"

Edited by Joe Ferguson forever

I agree the golf ball rollback for the amateur level is stupid

But this has also been a fun thread to read through and Golf is the King of sports that have stupid rules...and this is coming from somebody who loves to play the game

Reminds me of the time I was playing in a tournament and consumed a pot brownie.  Once that thing kicked in and your thoughts start going to that next dimension I spent the entire afternoon just observing every little thing that was going on out there and couldn't help but crack up and think to myself that this is the SILLIEST game ever created!  I still think of that sometimes when I'm just out there playing a regular round with friends.  Once again I love to play the game but man there are some rules in golf that make you shake your head 

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BillsPride12 said:

I agree the golf ball rollback for the amateur level is stupid

But this has also been a fun thread to read through and Golf is the King of sports that have stupid rules...and this is coming from somebody who loves to play the game

Reminds me of the time I was playing in a tournament and consumed a pot brownie.  Once that thing kicked in and your thoughts start going to that next dimension I spent the entire afternoon just observing every little thing that was going on out there and couldn't help but crack up and think to myself that this is the SILLIEST game ever created!  I still think of that sometimes when I'm just out there playing a regular round with friends.  Once again I love to play the game but man there are some rules in golf that make you shake your head 

Yeah, it is a stupid game, and I'm addicted. But this is an awesome description. Some foul language, because it is Robin Williams: 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Simon said:

I expect you are right. The problem is if you like to play in tournaments that require a legitimate handicap, you need to use the USGA sanctioned ball. They's how they get you by the, ahem, spherical objects.

I like to play in tournaments, and they all abide by USGA rules. But I would support a separate golf association that governs amateurs instead of professionals. Or something like that. Making a rule that punishes amateurs is stupid. Let's say you lose 10 yards a club. That just doesn't impact the driver, it impacts the other clubs, too. So not only do you have a longer shot because your drive doesn't go as long, your next shot will not go as far because of that rule, too. So instead of a 7, you're hitting a 5. Huge difference. Stupid rule that is aimed at fixing the problem with professionals and the courses they play, where 99% of the golfers and 90% of the courses don't have that problem. Dumb.

8 hours ago, todd said:

I expect you are right. The problem is if you like to play in tournaments that require a legitimate handicap, you need to use the USGA sanctioned ball. They's how they get you by the, ahem, spherical objects.

I like to play in tournaments, and they all abide by USGA rules. But I would support a separate golf association that governs amateurs instead of professionals. Or something like that. Making a rule that punishes amateurs is stupid. Let's say you lose 10 yards a club. That just doesn't impact the driver, it impacts the other clubs, too. So not only do you have a longer shot because your drive doesn't go as long, your next shot will not go as far because of that rule, too. So instead of a 7, you're hitting a 5. Huge difference. Stupid rule that is aimed at fixing the problem with professionals and the courses they play, where 99% of the golfers and 90% of the courses don't have that problem. Dumb.

old timers played with wood woods and balata balls that weren't always round.  They didn't hit it 300 or rarely did.  At the UM Wolverines golf course, number 9 has a pond 300 out and Nicklaus was famous for knocking one in.  No one else had.  Ben Hogan didn't hit it 300 but played pretty good...."Admittedly that's just one drive, on one hole with particular weather and ground conditions. But it does give us a reasonable clue. A few years earlier, in a 1949 article contained within Time Magazine, the author states that Ben Hogan hit his driver 265 yards – that agrees pretty closely to Trent Jones' study in 1953."

On 12/8/2023 at 7:05 PM, Simon said:

I used to buy a three ball pack of Spalding Kro-Flites at K-Mart to get me on the first tee in Spring, then purposely walk the right rough to pick up a good 10-15 balls left from the previous season.  The old Sunset Golf in Fort Erie. 😁

They don't call me 'Cheap Charlie' for nothing...

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

On 12/8/2023 at 8:24 AM, Steve O said:

If you're driving 250+ you should be a single digit handicap. I drive 200 mid summer when there's roll, usually 180-190. On a 6,000 yard course I still hope to break 90 when I stand on the first tee, though admittedly I'm disappointed more often than not on the 18th tee when it's obvious 90 isn't in play. Watch a few youtube videos, if that doesn't work take a lesson.

I’ve seen so many people over the years who focus solely on their driver and then can’t hit an iron or wedge to save their lives. I don’t think driving distance predicts your score at all. Hell, there are plenty out there who can bomb it… hard to the left or right. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 12/10/2023 at 9:09 AM, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

I used to buy a three ball pack of Spalding Kro-Flites at K-Mart to get me on the first tee in Spring, then purposely walk the right rough to pick up a good 10-15 balls left from the previous season.  The old Sunset Golf in Fort Erie. 😁

They don't call me 'Cheap Charlie' for nothing...

I remember Kro-Flites. Talk about the "good old days"

16 hours ago, LewPort71 said:

I remember Kro-Flites. Talk about the "good old days"

Lew Port 71....the year we won the NY state high school championship.  Were you on the team with me? oops, '77.  btw, not one player on that team made it as a touring pro but still....

5 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Aptly named ball.  Just like a crow, shots would fly 100 feet, then stop suddenly to check out something 'shiny'. 😁

As I recall, Top Flites were considered Spalding's "best" ball

https://www.ebay.com/itm/325874732334?chn=ps&mkevt=1&mkcid=28&srsltid=AfmBOoo41BeotSyf4GZTnwCQlWkomC8uuF05ZPDZKVIbda0FAu8iW_Htzsw

On 12/12/2023 at 7:14 AM, Joe Ferguson forever said:

Top Flite's tagline should have been "The Most Abandoned Ball In Golf!"

Every time you find a ball, chances are it is a Top Flite. Made of granite with a slate outer core and ceramic outer layer.

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/11/2023 at 12:35 AM, Simon said:

You can't hold a green with a 5 iron?

You better go hybrid ; - )

Nope, I can't spin a 5 iron. Unless you count sidespin, then I can spin the hell out of it. 🙂 I did get new Srixon ZX5s this offseason and they can hold greens wonderfully. Love them. My previous irons were only three months old, but the lofts were far too jacked and the face was so hot that sometimes you'd get a flyer that went an extra 20 yards. Mizuno JPX923 HotMetal Pro. Yuck. Even had the lofts weakened a degree, and that helped a small bit but I hated them.

37 minutes ago, todd said:

Every time you find a ball, chances are it is a Top Flite. Made of granite with a slate outer core and ceramic outer layer.

I still remember the course and hole we were on years ago when I, naturally, put a ball in the lake guarding the front of the green. My buddy who was a MUCH more regular golfer saw what I was hitting, dropped a ball for me and said “try this, you’ve got it.”  When I struck that ball it was like playing a different game. Like I had been playing pickle ball that looked and sounded awful, and I just learned how to play tennis. 

I’m still not extravagant with golf balls as we rarely have time to become too attached, but I get decent used balls in volume on-line. I may not be great, but I am NOT slow. 

• Like (+1) 2

On 12/15/2023 at 2:24 PM, todd said:

Anytime I find one, I throw it deeper into the woods/weeds. 

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.