Bills Cap Breakdown by Greg Tompsett

DrDawkinstein

59 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I think you’re underestimating the impact of having an OC that’s in tune with the roster.  Dorsey was all in on Diggs and neglected cook.  Brady is the opposite while having no clue how to use his 2 good TEs (which can offset your need for having 4 good WRs). 

Again I’ll ask-  which teams can afford to lose their WR1-2 and not miss a beat?

No roster can lose its WR1 and WR2 and be fine.

56 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

Sorry aren't we 41 mill over right now,not 29 mill?

8 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

That is correct. 

I believe Tompsett covers that in the videos, that the $29M number counts the expected increase in cap.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Until Diggs or the Rookie R1 WR gets hurt, in which case Shakir slides up a peg, and you don't have any useable WRs in slots #4, #5, #6. 

It's one storyline that has been talked about on here - the Bills have been virtually injury free on offense outside of Knox. 

In this scenario, hopefully Shorter can outplay his 5th Round draft slot. 

Only concern with DaQuan and Floyd is giving money to guys who are both 32+ when next season starts. 

4 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

No roster can lose its WR1 and WR2 and be fine.

Sorry- I should’ve typed WR1 or WR2 instead of WR1-WR2

So at minimum WR in Round 1.

In this scenario we’re going all in on that player. 

Because it’s Diggs, R1, Shakir, Shorter and Harty.

So do your plan, let Sherfield walk, and bring in a <$5M vet FA.

In this scenario, if Shakir takes another large step forward and the R1 WR can give you 800+ yards, you might be ok.

Keep Harty, hope Shorter becomes playable and come out of FA with a low cost veteran that is better than Sherfield. 

1 hour ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

Sorry aren't we 41 mill over right now,not 29 mill?

I believe the estimate was running on the Over The Cap figures, which had a slightly more generous cap estimate. The general numbers per contract seem to hold out though. The premise that we can very comfortably get over the cap and have the money for rookies and a few modest re-signings still holds, as does the idea that if we have a once in a lifetime shot we can really push it, though there will be some uncomfortable changes.

29 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I believe Tompsett covers that in the videos, that the $29M number counts the expected increase in cap.

Thar can’t be it. Spotrac has an increase from $224.8M to $242.5M for the cap in their calculations. 

On 12/6/2023 at 12:12 AM, Rubes said:

Holy moly, I hope that's all correct. That makes me feel a bit better about next year, but we'll see.

Me too, Beane never gave the feeling that it would be much of an issue, it also (if true) may relax some board members that are overly concerned…

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Thar can’t be it. Spotrac has an increase from $224.8M to $242.5M for the cap in their calculations. 

Right, theyre guessing too. They're merely $5M off from Tompsett's guess. No one knows the numbers for sure, but Tompsett DOES count a cap increase of some sort in his starting number which is why he starts at $29M under.

He talks about exactly this at the 9:00 mark of the Cover1 video.

14 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

I believe the estimate was running on the Over The Cap figures, which had a slightly more generous cap estimate. The general numbers per contract seem to hold out though. The premise that we can very comfortably get over the cap and have the money for rookies and a few modest re-signings still holds, as does the idea that if we have a once in a lifetime shot we can really push it, though there will be some uncomfortable changes.

OTC has a number very close to Spotrac’s. They don’t account for rollover and when you factor that in, the numbers are nearly identical. 

9 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Right, theyre guessing too. They're merely $5M off from Tompsett's guess. No one knows the numbers for sure, but Tompsett DOES count a cap increase of some sort in his starting number which is why he starts at $29M under.

Yeah. Everyone is guesstimating the cap increase so numbers will be off. 

10 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Yeah. Everyone is guesstimating the cap increase so numbers will be off. 

FWIW I remember speculation that it would be a big jump. Sports betting has taken off in a big way. Again, complete speculation on the actual amount of revenue, but the gambling advertising I've seen has been going crazy.

24 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

FWIW I remember speculation that it would be a big jump. Sports betting has taken off in a big way. Again, complete speculation on the actual amount of revenue, but the gambling advertising I've seen has been going crazy.

It looks like the estimates I see are for an 8% increase. That would be in line with the historical average so it certainly could be higher with the extra revenue you mention. 

1 hour ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

So at minimum WR in Round 1.

In this scenario we’re going all in on that player. 

Because it’s Diggs, R1, Shakir, Shorter and Harty.

So do your plan, let Sherfield walk, and bring in a <$5M vet FA.

In this scenario, if Shakir takes another large step forward and the R1 WR can give you 800+ yards, you might be ok.

Keep Harty, hope Shorter becomes playable and come out of FA with a low cost veteran that is better than Sherfield. 

Can we boot Harty and Sherfield and take a 2nd WR in the 5th or 6th who can return punts and use the money to sign Josh Reynolds?  I don't think we'd bring him in as WR 2 or 3 but he's probably what we wanted when we signed Sherfield.

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Tompsett is often wrong. Just FYI.

He has admitted to not even reading the balance sheet of how the cap is being formulated and just basing his numbers off what OTC speculates.

On 12/6/2023 at 9:42 PM, Solomon Grundy said:

Josh needs a known weapon. We aren't sure if any of these prospects will pan out, let alone produce from day one. 

No team is certain that a given prospect will pan out pretty much ever, it’s a chance that must be taken sooner or too late…, 

We get a new #1 WR in the draft, shift Diggs to #1b/2 WR and move on to other roster concerns, but right now we have a super bowl to win…, 😁👍

Edited by Don Otreply

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.