Bills Cap Breakdown by Greg Tompsett

DrDawkinstein

On 12/5/2023 at 11:27 PM, DrDawkinstein said:

Greg Tompsett is making the podcast rounds in the bye week this week and talking cap.

Gave a pretty detailed plan on Cover1 and showed how the Bills could get themselves to about $72M UNDER the cap. Or $56M under without anything too crazy.

Worth watching, or at least clicking around through, for anyone concerned with our cap situation next year.

He was also on Locked On Bills to discuss our Free Agents and re-signing options

As a little preview, the detailed plan to get to $72M...

No Brainers - Cap Saved

Restructure Josh - $23M

Restructure Diggs - $13M

Restructure Ed - $3M

Release Hines - $5M

Release Harty - $4M

Total - $48M

Being $29M OVER cap right now, these moves alone put us $19M UNDER.

Tompsett's Preferred/Likely Moves - Cap Savings

Extend Dawkins - $7M

Extend Douglas - $6M

Extend Johnson - $5M

Release Siran Neal - $3M

Release Sam Martin - $1M

Restructure McGovern - $3M

With these moves added to the above, the Bills would be $44M UNDER

Painful but Possible - Cap Savings

Release Poyer - $5.5M

Release Tre - $6M

Bills now $56M UNDER

Prefer Not - Cap Savings

Restructure Milano - $2.5M

Restructure Knox - $6M

Trade Elam - $165k

Release Bates - $1.5M

Release Morse - $5.5M

Bills now $72M UNDER

I type all that to once again reiterate, the cap is a myth.

This was very helpful so than you.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Personally I think they should not restructure  Diggs but beane will want that 13M.  I have no issues moving from Tre and Poyer.   The team needs to get younger.   I would want to have a way out of Diggs contract after this year not saying you would for sure but having the option would be good.  

Any chance someone would give up something small draft wise for Knox?   I just see him getting a reduced role and his contract is not great for a backup.  

6 hours ago, Matt_In_NH said:

Personally I think they should not restructure  Diggs but beane will want that 13M.  I have no issues moving from Tre and Poyer.   The team needs to get younger.   I would want to have a way out of Diggs contract after this year not saying you would for sure but having the option would be good.  

Any chance someone would give up something small draft wise for Knox?   I just see him getting a reduced role and his contract is not great for a backup.  

Did you listen to Tompsett's update?

Fairly unlikely we release White.

On 1/27/2024 at 8:37 AM, Matt_In_NH said:

Everyone is viewing this from the Bills standpoint. Diggs has a say in all this. Not the final say but he can force himself out this year.

3 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Everyone is viewing this from the Bills standpoint. Diggs has a say in all this. Not the final say but he can force himself out this year.

Anyone can force themselves out at any time its just a matter of how painful it is for everyone.  It is not clear Diggs wants out.   What does he want to do, go to a team that will give him the most targets and catches in the next 4 years and maybe 4th in yards and TD's.  Maybe he wants to play with a top 5 QB?

Edited by Matt_In_NH

20 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

Anyone can force themselves out at any time its just a matter of how painful it is for everyone.  It is not clear Diggs wants out.   What does he want to do, go to a team that will give him the most targets and catches in the next 4 years and maybe 4th in yards and TD's.  Maybe he wants to play with a top 5 QB?

Not exactly. Yes, but there was no chance the Bills would take on cap to move on from Diggs last year. Now they can move on and create cap. Yes, there’s a ton of dead cap but they can still do it if Diggs doesn’t want to be here.

What does Diggs want? This offseason we get a clear answer. I think the Bills want to keep Diggs, there’s really no reason they shouldn’t want him at least for another season.

12 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Not exactly. Yes, but there was no chance the Bills would take on cap to move on from Diggs last year. Now they can move on and create cap. Yes, there’s a ton of dead cap but they can still do it if Diggs doesn’t want to be here.

What does Diggs want? This offseason we get a clear answer. I think the Bills want to keep Diggs, there’s really no reason they shouldn’t want him at least for another season.

I don't agree, he could have forced the issue if he really wanted to its just how painful would it be for both sides.  Bills could have spread the cap hit over two years, he could refuse to show up or pretend to be injured and just cause problems.  If he really wanted out he could potentially redo his Bills deal and get a new one with a new team in order to facilitate that.  There is always a a way.    I don't have a problem with Diggs, I think his attitude can kind of bring out the best in others.  However, I think he is overpaid at this point.  If he were on New England or many other teams he would be nothing.  He should want to stay where he is if he wants stats, it wont get much better elsewhere.

2 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

I don't agree, he could have forced the issue if he really wanted to its just how painful would it be for both sides.  Bills could have spread the cap hit over two years, he could refuse to show up or pretend to be injured and just cause problems.  If he really wanted out he could potentially redo his Bills deal and get a new one with a new team in order to facilitate that.  There is always a a way.    I don't have a problem with Diggs, I think his attitude can kind of bring out the best in others.  However, I think he is overpaid at this point.  If he were on New England or many other teams he would be nothing.  He should want to stay where he is if he wants stats, it wont get much better elsewhere.

I don’t believe there was a way cap wise to part ways last year.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.