Defending the Philly tush-push play

Utah John

Jason Kelce is complaining about how Jordan Phillips charged offside when the Eagles were lined up for a tush-push play.  I think this is exactly backwards.  I think all teams should do what Phillips did, whenever the Eagles line up for that play from close to the goal line.  ALL the defenders should charge offside as soon as the Eagles line up, and not just a little love tap, either.  If possible they should put a hand on Hurts as well, just letting the Eagles know that this play of theirs is putting their QB at risk.  Of course there will be a half the distance penalty.  Big deal.  So they cut the distance in half, and if the Eagles line up again in that formation, the defense immediately charges ahead, offside, again pushing through as violently as possible.  And the defense should keep on doing it.  Half the distance, half the distance, half the distance.  Who cares?

1 minute ago, Utah John said:

Jason Kelce is complaining about how Jordan Phillips charged offside when the Eagles were lined up for a tush-push play.  I think this is exactly backwards.  I think all teams should do what Phillips did, whenever the Eagles line up for that play from close to the goal line.  ALL the defenders should charge offside as soon as the Eagles line up, and not just a little love tap, either.  If possible they should put a hand on Hurts as well, just letting the Eagles know that this play of theirs is putting their QB at risk.  Of course there will be a half the distance penalty.  Big deal.  So they cut the distance in half, and if the Eagles line up again in that formation, the defense immediately charges ahead, offside, again pushing through as violently as possible.  And the defense should keep on doing it.  Half the distance, half the distance, half the distance.  Who cares?

The Eagles, as an organization, just want the rest of the league to declare their genius 1908 flying wedge play unstoppable and concede the yard. BTW, Kelce false starts on that play every time. It's in the play design for him to drop and start moving forward before snapping the ball.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

12 minutes ago, Low Positive said:

The Eagles, as an organization, just want the rest of the league to declare their genius 1908 flying wedge play unstoppable and concede the yard. BTW, Kelce false starts on that play every time. It's in the play design for him to drop and start moving forward before snapping the ball.

One possible outcome of the defensive approach I'm suggesting is that one of the Eagles gets called for moving early to brace for the incoming attack.  Half the distance against the defense vs five yards against the offense.  Pretty good deal for the defense.  

The best defense is a good offense.  Or in this case, being as offensive as possible.

Edited by Utah John

I wasn't particularly good at football, and probably somewhat dirty when it comes down to it.  Way i see it? I'm aiming for hurts.  Either im aiming for his head or stepping on his hand.  You wanna do your garbage play, then get some garbage response.  

10 minutes ago, Low Positive said:

He rocks back to get momentum - its bull.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

I wasn't particularly good at football, and probably somewhat dirty when it comes down to it.  Way i see it? I'm aiming for hurts.  Either im aiming for his head or stepping on his hand.  You wanna do your garbage play, then get some garbage response.  

He rocks back to get momentum - its bull.  

He rocks back, then drops and moves forward as he's snapping the ball. It's a triple false start. But the league loves it as a novelty play and because a big market team is running it with a cute nickname so the refs must have been told not to call the penalty.

• Agree 2

20 minutes ago, Utah John said:

Kelce moved before Phillips did. I think he was reacting to that. For the record, I do not know for sure that it was a false start as he may have still been settling into his stance. But it was at least borderline if not a false start.

1 minute ago, Low Positive said:

He rocks back, then drops and moves forward as he's snapping the ball. It's a triple false start. But the league loves it as a novelty play and because a big market team is running it with a cute nickname so the refs must have been told not to call the penalty.

So when he rocks back, THAT'S when the D line attacks. After all, he moved first.

• Agree 1

29 minutes ago, Utah John said:

Trying to steal Brad Riter's thunder?

I look at the play, and ask if it's within the "spirit" of football.

One guy holds onto the  ball, and then literally 1,500 pounds of humanity forms a scrum and pushes him forward a yard or 2.

Does that really qualify as "football?"  I don't think the game should look like that.

I'd make it illegal.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, Utah John said:

This makes me wonder if there's something in the rules to prevent this kind of thing.

Something similar I always thought of was how there is no play clock on kickoffs.  Is there a penalty for not kicking the ball off within a certain amount of time?

Edited by Capco

17 minutes ago, Capco said:

This makes me wonder if there's something in the rules to prevent this kind of thing.

Something similar I always thought of was how there is no play clock on kickoffs.  Is there a penalty for not kicking the ball off within a certain amount of time?

There probably is a penalty for not kicking off in a certain amount of time, but there's never a tactical advantage in delaying the kickoff.  

2 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

I look at the play, and ask if it's within the "spirit" of football.

One guy holds onto the  ball, and then literally 1,500 pounds of humanity forms a scrum and pushes him forward a yard or 2.

Does that really qualify as "football?"  I don't think the game should look like that.

I'd make it illegal.

It was against the rules to assist a player in any way until 2005. Then they allowed an offensive player to be pushed (but not pulled) for some reason. No team weaponized it until Siriani devised this wedge play that is right from the 1908 Harvard-Yale game.  

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Utah John said:

I like the way you think. 

4 hours ago, Utah John said:

I watched it and as someone who didn’t have a dog in the fight I just laughed.. I will say I thought for sure it was going to be a personal foul since he hit Hurt. No I didn’t think it was all that hard but with the way they protect QBs especially the star ones I was shocked. 

if any team did this more than once I think the league would suspend the player and probably fine the team and if they found out it was planned it be a heavy punishment.  Worse than Bountygate.. 

8 minutes ago, 2003Contenders said:

Except... the play you were talking about was NOT in a goal-to-go situation. It netted the Eagles 5 yards, and a first down conversion en route to an eventual TD. In that situation it was a bone-headed move by Phillips. He is responsible for entirely too many of these types of bone-headed moves this season.

Criticism of Phillips on this specific play relies on the refs being completely blind to an obvious false start because the league must love the tush push/brotherly shove branding lol. Phillips went when Kelce started his bs illegal antics before snapping the ball

seems like the key to being successful in the nfl  is coming up with a cool name for things…’sauce’ Gardner can hold virtually whenever he wants because he’s got a recognizable nickname too 😂

1 minute ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Criticism of Phillips on this specific play relies on the refs being completely blind to an obvious false start because the league must love the tush push/brotherly shove branding lol. Phillips went when Kelce started his bs illegal antics before snapping the ball

seems like the key to being successful in the nfl  is coming up with a cool name for things…’sauce’ Gardner can hold virtually whenever he wants because he’s got a recognizable nickname too 😂

You just wait until Kool-Aid McKinstry hits the league. He'll be able to tackle WRs and the LoS with no calls with a name as great as that.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, 2003Contenders said:

Except... the play you were talking about was NOT in a goal-to-go situation. It netted the Eagles 5 yards, and a first down conversion en route to an eventual TD. In that situation it was a bone-headed move by Phillips. He is responsible for entirely too many of these types of bone-headed moves this season.

That's right, in that case it was a first down somewhere in the middle of the field.  But, the Eagles would have gotten the first down anyway, so it was a few more yards for the chance to ding one of their players and maybe make them think twice about doing it again (which didn't work of course, but was worth a shot).

2 hours ago, PatsFanNH said:

I watched it and as someone who didn’t have a dog in the fight I just laughed.. I will say I thought for sure it was going to be a personal foul since he hit Hurt. No I didn’t think it was all that hard but with the way they protect QBs especially the star ones I was shocked. 

if any team did this more than once I think the league would suspend the player and probably fine the team and if they found out it was planned it be a heavy punishment.  Worse than Bountygate.. 

The league would have to announce ahead of time that interfering with the tush push play would be a penalty.  Which would be ridiculous of course.  They would have to announce that a false start by the Eagles is supposed to be ignored.  And no team would be foolish enough to tell its players out loud that they were trying to injure the other team.  (But they wouldn't have to tell them, would they?)

Edited by Utah John

1 hour ago, Low Positive said:

You just wait until Kool-Aid McKinstry hits the league. He'll be able to tackle WRs and the LoS with no calls with a name as great as that.

Kool-Aid would be poison on the roster, at least when they play Jonestown.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.