Simple reason the Bills will NOT win out or make playoffs

ShakAttack

And I felt this way prior to yesterday.

The problem with this way of thinking is pretty simple.  With our remaining schedule, winning out would mean that we would have to win multiple close games in the process.

And the Bills - under McDermott - do not know how to do that. 

Therefore, even if we are playing our BEST football down the stretch, with teams like Chiefs, Cowboys, Chargers and dolphins remaining on the schedule you cannot count on blowing out every opponent; you have to know how to win close games (like the Eagles) and we do not know how to do that.

It’s a shame we are wasting Allen like this but I also don’t know what HC candidate fixes this. Reich? He is an attractive name, sure, but he’s another guy with no playoff success really, so is he an upgrade? I don’t know man, this is tough.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

We need a coach with a pair of cojones. But who’s available? Pederson would’ve been great but he’s not available.

Rex Ryan probably would’ve been a good fit for this team but he’s no longer an option. Can’t go back to that well.

how about keeping Joe Brady as OC and hiring Jim Schwartz?

I do like the idea of keeping Joe Brady as OC.   He has earned it up to this point.   Offense is definitely not the issue for the past 2 weeks.  But in typical Bills fashion, "if it's not one thing, it's another" 

• Sad 1
  • Agree 2

21 minutes ago, Donuts and Doritos said:

McD plays not to loose instead of playing to win. 

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!  I hate that ****. I mean absolutely hate it. I get there are times to be a little bit conservative, but dang man, we crushed them in the first half then flat fell on our faces.  McDermott just can NOT scheme to stop a last series of the game drive, he just can't. And he can't in overtime as well.

24 minutes ago, BobBelcher said:

The problem with this way of thinking is pretty simple.  With our remaining schedule, winning out would mean that we would have to win multiple close games in the process.

Therefore, even if we are playing our BEST football down the stretch, with teams like Chiefs, Cowboys, Chargers and dolphins remaining on the schedule you cannot count on blowing out every opponent; you have to know how to win close games (like the Eagles) and we do not know how to do that.

It’s a shame we are wasting Allen like this but I also don’t know what HC candidate fixes this. Reich? He is an attractive name, sure, but he’s another guy with no playoff success really, so is he an upgrade? I don’t know man, this is tough.

That is not true necessarily. 

What IS true is that if the Bills don't have the ball LAST they are most likely going to lose.  However, last year as we saw, when they had the ball last, the won 3 of those games with a last second FG(Baltimore, Miami and Detroit).  They also got an INT against Mahomes to end the game in KC.

So what needs to happen is somehow Allen needs to have the ball last and the Bills need to bleed the clock down to no time left and then score last.  That's a really fine line to have to walk in the NFL and hard to do consistently.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

We need a coach with a pair of cojones. But who’s available? Pederson would’ve been great but he’s not available.

Rex Ryan probably would’ve been a good fit for this team but he’s no longer an option. Can’t go back to that well.

Interesting thought - Schwartz got kinda spurned by pegula when they hired rex, but I'm sure a nice fat paycheck would be something to smooth that over. 

Just now, Big Turk said:

That is not true necessarily. 

What IS true is that if the Bills don't have the ball LAST they are most likely going to lose.  However, last year as we saw, when they had the ball last, the won 3 of those games with a last second FG(Baltimore, Miami and Detroit).  They also got an INT against Mahomes to end the game in KC.

So what needs to happen is somehow Allen needs to have the ball last and the Bills need to bleed the clock down to no time left and then score last.  That's a really fine line to have to walk in the NFL and hard to do consistently.

They won the toss and blew it there at the end on offense.  Defense didn't get it done either but man... TD wins the game there.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

LOL, Rex Ryan would be a good fit for this team, hilarious.

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, Donuts and Doritos said:

McD should have gone for two points on our final go ahead touchdown in the 4th Quarter.

That is playing to win.  He always tries to play not to lose.  How has that worked this year with his DC duties and play calling.

When you absolutely have to have this win to save your playoff aspirations for 2023 he played not to win again.

Face it, McD is a loser.....

Edited by Toyo321
  • Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, BobBelcher said:

Oh, please.

Yeah, I get it. It hurt. An awful lot. That doesn't mean we have to pretend the sky is falling. We've won plenty of close games in the McDermott era. Lost plenty also.

Three seasons where we're over .500 in games won by seven or less, three seasons below and one season even at .500. 44.19% total. And 2 - 3 in the playoffs, which is statistically insignficant and close to .500.

Edited by Thurman#1

59 minutes ago, Donuts and Doritos said:

Well he tried to win the Broncos game and that blew up too. I knew he was going to be super conservative after that. That game further neuter him. 

and 95% of defensive coaches would do the same thing. It’s why I always wanted an offensive coach. 

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

Interesting thought - Schwartz got kinda spurned by pegula when they hired rex, but I'm sure a nice fat paycheck would be something to smooth that over. 

They won the toss and blew it there at the end on offense.  Defense didn't get it done either but man... TD wins the game there.  

Same against MIN last year...Allen drives them down in FG range around the 20 and then throws a brutal INT to Peterson in the endzone to end it after Minnesota kicked a FG. 0-5 in OT situations...don't get how you can be that good within 2 minutes but that bad in OT.

Edited by Big Turk

4 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Oh, please.

Yeah, I get it. It hurt. An awful lot. That doesn't mean we have to pretend the sky is falling. We've won plenty of close games in the McDermott era. Lost plenty also.

Three seasons where we're over .500 in games won by seven or less, three seasons below and one season even at .500. 44.19% total. And 2 - 3 in the playoffs, which is statistically insignficant and close to .500.

Have we really though?  Pretty sure our record in "close games" would be the worst in NFL among "top tier" teams over the past 3 years, if anyone were to check.

Put it this way, just heard the stat on WGR:

In the past THREE years, the Bills have only lost ONE game in regular season by more than 1 score (Colts game 2 years ago)

That has to be the best in the entire NFL over that span.  

And yet...   we lost 15 games and counting during that time!!!   That means 14 of 15 games were lost by 7 or less.  Absolutely Incredible.  

I think we also lead the NFL in "blowout" wins over that span (or games that we win by over 7 points).  So what does that tell you?  It tells you that the Bills only know how to win one-sided games, for the most part.  

Edited by BobBelcher

18 minutes ago, margolbe said:

With this defense, you need a 3 score lead to feel comfortable going into the 4th quarter.  Unacceptable.

Agreed.  With this defense, and with this coaching.  Although there is definitely bad luck sprinkled into like every scenario as well.  I.e.  if AJ Brown had full control of the ball for a split second longer before it was knocked out of his hands, it's game over.   Some here would argue he actually had full control already.  I personally think it was the right call - granted, VERY borderline - so I boil it down to just... unlucky and as we always seem to say around here... "almost".  Smh.

Edited by BobBelcher

On 11/27/2023 at 5:48 AM, BobBelcher said:

Since 2022 the Bills have won 9 one score games and lost 9 one score games.

I know the narrative is that the Bills never win one score games, but it's not true.

I think this bye week serves as a good reset for this team and hopefully Allen comes out firing in the last 5 games.

Anything is still possible.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.