The Salary Cap will doom us all (hope that title is better)

Pine Barrens Mafia

28 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

It certainly didn't look like a swing and miss until he ripped up his knee. It was a "future is now" gamble. It worked for the Rams the year before, and it almost worked for the Bills last year. Until it didn't ...

Yeah I wasn't thrilled the day it happened.

2 hours ago, KeLLy1278 said:

The Allen apologists run wild on here.  He can do no wrong.  It’s like some of these people truly think that they are part of his immediate family.  The INT was nasty yesterday and it hurt.  The apologists will say that it didn’t cost the Bills the game.  Well.. the Bills had a chance to seal the game in OT.  Allen threw an errant pass to the end zone.  Miscommunication, bad pass, wrong route.. whatever it was, it resulted in a FG, not a TD. Everything counts. 

How are you any better than a blind Allen apologist if you’re coming on here to trash people for saying he obviously had a great game which any objective nfl fan would agree with.  

I can’t speak for everyone…maybe there are people saying he doesn’t make a mistake idk.  he ain’t perfect but nobody is

Expecting more out of him in this specific game is pretty unreasonable and is closer to blind hater than the people you’re criticizing are to blind apologist imo 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, thenorthremembers said:

Hyde will be in a void year.  Poyer, White, and Morse can all be released with minimal cap hit.   Josh and Diggs can be restructured.   The cap is not going to doom us all.  They can get to 30 million dollars under the cap with a few moves.    The sky isnt falling. 

How about Non Miller? How can we get rid of that albatross

i was sad about the cap stich before, but honestly we can get the exact same results or better with some rookies and free agent jags replacing who we lose.  on o, we might have fiddle w the OL a bit to keep it at the level it is now, but outside of C, we should have everyone for 1 or 2 more years without any trouble, and we can upgrade RT.

Our production is about cook, diggs, kinkaid, allen, and whoever the hell else gets open and doesn't suck (shefield, harty, davis who is our like 3rd or 4th best target).  reshuffling that won't cause harm.

so basically, if our O can be what it is (and it can be) we just need some fresh legs on D and better in game management.  hell, we woulda beat the doncos and ne and philly w just kinda ok d at the end of the game.  we woulda even had a good shot vs jax and cinci if brady was our oc in those games.

5 hours ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

Don't care that we have the melon farmer and some think he's the greatest thing since sliced bread.

This team is in year one of a minimum three year playoff drought.  "Why, Pine?" You might ask. Well, it's simple, really. It's the salary cap. (All numbers 2024 per spotrac)

First up is the melon farmer himself, at a whopping 47 MILLION dollars next year. He's gotta be a whole lot better than what he is at that price tag.

Next we have the illustrious Non Miller with a 23 MILLION dollar cap hit for zero tackles, zero pressures, zero forced fumbles, zero production.

The next nothingburger with an enormous cap hit is Dawson Knox, who's got us on the hook for 14.4 million dollars. 

Tre White is next, feel bad for the guy, but his career is over. 16.6 against the 24 salary cap.

That's 101 million dollars in cap hoovered up by four players, and we can't really do a whole hell of a lot to get out from under that load in 24 or 25. Now, that only half the equation. The other half is the replacements to be necessary in the upcoming two years:

Hyde - washed

Poyer - washed

Milano - love the guy, but I have doubts about his future long term

Morse - long in the tooth

Davis - need better

Epenesa/Groot - given the cap, no way we keep both

Diggs - yes, diggs. He's 29 THIS YEAR. We're going to need to replace him soon.

This list isn't all inclusive but you get the point. The point is, we're not WASTING the melon farmer's prime years, we've WASTED them. By the time this team next sniffs the playoffs, it'll be the year of our Lord two thousand and twenty-six, and Josh Allen will be 30 years old.

Will he be better at 30 than now? I have my doubts.

What's the fix? ***** if I know at this point but what I do know is this team, as it's constituted today is done now and into the intermediate term. Flane away haters, but numbers don't lie.

2 good Drafts solve just about all of that, though I don't trust Beane to get it right because it would involve trading down a lot and not falling head over heels for players... So... Point taken... B-)

8 hours ago, mrags said:

I’ve gotta give you credit. The best part of this post is coining the name “NON Miller”. Thank you for that 

Credit where it is due...."Non Miller" is shockingly accurate and both funny and sad. 

59 minutes ago, KOKBILLS said:

2 good Drafts solve just about all of that, though I don't trust Beane  McDermott to get it right because it would involve trading down a lot and not falling head over heels for defensive players... So... Point taken... B-)

FIFY :) 

• Like (+1) 1

Not really all that worried about the cap tbh..

We return Allen, our starting OL plus depth pieces, Diggs, Shakir, Cook, Kincaid and Knox.  If we go WR early in the Draft, I think it's realistic to expect this Offense to be a juggernaut next year whether it's Joe Brady at OC or a new Offensive minded HC.  

Defense will likely need to be revamped quite a bit. Personally, I'd cut Harty, Tre and Poyer to free up 15M.  We need more than that to just get under the cap.

That leaves us with a core of Von (now fully recovered), Oliver, Rousseau, Bernard, Milano, Douglas, Benford and Johnson.   Get a WR early and then pull a KC circa '21 and draft a bunch of defensive guys plus some fill-in team friendly vets. 

I'm sure we'll try to work out offers for Floyd, Jones and maybe Epenesa... Floyd may be a pipe dream unless he just loves it here. 

5 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I'm sure we'll try to work out offers for Floyd, Jones and maybe Epenesa... Floyd may be a pipe dream unless he just loves it here.

Yeah, not seeing that. He's done well enough that he'll be able to get a blank check from an actual contender. Sucks, but is what it is.

3 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

Hyde will be in a void year.  Poyer, White, and Morse can all be released with minimal cap hit.   Josh and Diggs can be restructured.   The cap is not going to doom us all.  They can get to 30 million dollars under the cap with a few moves.    The sky isnt falling. 

Hyde is a pending UFA. 

6 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Hyde is a pending UFA. 

Right, but his UFA status is based on a void year.  He has three void years built into his contract.  They can either pay the cap hits the void years create, or add that money back as part of resigning him.   If they dont make an offer his status is UFA, but he will have cap hits for three years running if he isnt resigned in the offseason.

3 hours ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

How about Non Miller? How can we get rid of that albatross

If they can find someone to trade for him as a salary dump they can save over $17 million dollars next offseason.  To do that they'd likely have to send Von and a high pick to a team willing to take on the money.  Otherwise they cant cut him without major cap implications until 2025.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

Right, but his UFA status is based on a void year.  He has three void years built into his contract.  They can either pay the cap hits the void years create, or add that money back as part of resigning him.   If they dont make an offer his status is UFA, but he will have cap hits for three years running if he isnt resigned in the offseason.

If they can find someone to trade for him as a salary dump they can save over $17 million dollars next offseason.  To do that they'd likely have to send Von and a high pick to a team willing to take on the money.  Otherwise they cant cut him without major cap implications until 2025.

Damn learned something there on the void years.   Seems Beane keeps pushing money out but the bill comes due eventually.   His restructure of Von last year is a classic example.   When we first heard about this contract, it was its really a 3 year deal, but now he's 15 million in dead money in year 4.  Im with the original poster, think Beane hasnt had his eyes on the future enough, and hasnt managed the cap well.  

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.