The Good, The Bad, The Ugly 12 Men on the Field Addition

Chaos

Just now, Robert Paulson said:

not with this dysfunctional offense as can be seen by the results- i'll pat myself on the back and say i called that this will bite us and it did.

A team with Superbowl aspirations (which a team of our potential SHOULD have) cannot coach as though the offensive personnel is incapable of executing a field goal drive.

1 minute ago, Avisan said:

A team with Superbowl aspirations (which a team of our potential SHOULD have) cannot coach as though the offensive personnel is incapable of executing a field goal drive.

lol Super bowl aspirations -come on - we should have put up a 30 burger on these guys. we were constantly shooting ourselves in the foot. in a perfect world yes- but we were not showing we could execute a simple handoff without dropping the ball several times- go into halftime and regroup

the guy gets conservative when he should be aggressive and a when he should be c.  he should try the George Costanza technique and do the opposite of whatever he thinks is the correct decision. 

• Haha (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Robert Paulson said:

the guy gets conservative when he should be aggressive and a when he should be c.  he should try the George Costanza technique and do the opposite of whatever he thinks is the correct decision. 

When players don't execute it doesn't matter what you call.

Some of the execution errors may well be due to coaching, but some of it is very obvious failure of football basics.

4 minutes ago, Avisan said:

When players don't execute it doesn't matter what you call.

Some of the execution errors may well be due to coaching, but some of it is very obvious failure of football basics.

it looks more and more that the execution is Josh thinking too much about what he has been 'coached' and not  just playing football

• Agree 2

Just now, Robert Paulson said:

it looks more and more that the execution is Josh thinking too much about what he has been 'coached' and not  just playing football

You can't just "play football" at the NFL level, dude.  Opposing athletes are too good and good defenses actively take away the things you like to do when you try to just "play football" mindlessly without regard for how your play and the defensive playcall interact.  Josh is physically talented enough that he gets away with it sometimes, but it isn't a sustainable approach.

24 minutes ago, Avisan said:

You can't just "play football" at the NFL level, dude.  Opposing athletes are too good and good defenses actively take away the things you like to do when you try to just "play football" mindlessly without regard for how your play and the defensive playcall interact.  Josh is physically talented enough that he gets away with it sometimes, but it isn't a sustainable approach.

let me rephrase- he is overthinking pre and during the play which  is causing him to miss opportunities because as example the window for a throw closes before he makes the decission

30 minutes ago, Avisan said:

So your saying, you like this year's play from Allen better than his record setting prior years?

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Chaos said:

So your saying, you like this year's play from Allen better than his record setting prior years?

Teams aren't going to let him do it, is the point. The same thing happened to Mahomes two years back.  Mahomes last year had YPA etc. way down but a very efficient offense because he was forced to learn to play dink-and-dunk from the pocket in 2021 and actually learned.  Will Allen?

1 hour ago, Chaos said:

Josh Allen may have had his worse game as a Bill. 

What? Talk about hyperbole. He had worse games, even this year (Jets). But he seems... lost a bit. Yet he has that fire. For all the talk on "inconsistency" on offense, and they are right, NO team scores every drive! Well the Bills didt against the Cheats and the Dolphins did it to the Broncos this year but those are rare games. 

1 hour ago, Chaos said:

Last night Broncos dominated time of possession, which is on Allen to a large degree. 

It was on Dorsey. You can't fault him for the fumbles and INTs and dropped passes! Seriously, on its own, he didn't call that bad a  game. But the Broncos were against the run all year, and when the Bills ran, it worked, so why stop it?? I just don't get it

1 hour ago, Lost said:

When was the last time we've seen Dorsey or McD calling plays and said "wow, this might be the greatest coach we've ever seen"? 

To be fair, the Dolphins game this year was amazing. McD and Dorsey had their best games in scheming and playcalling, by far. Even McDaniel was in awe. Why did it drop a cliff after that I have no idea!

1 hour ago, Avisan said:

Yeah, every knee moved the kick back a yard or two, which statistically increases the miss chance.  It also took wiggle room away from the kicking team in setup time.

It worked.  It worked perfectly, actually.  But we tried to play football with 12 fellas instead of 11.

Actually 13 if you count the player trying to get off the field in time.. 

• Haha (+1) 2

2 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

The time outs at the end were a real head scratcher, and I said so at the time. I literally have ZERO idea what McD thought he was trying to do. Utter failure. 

Only thing I figure is that he thought that after Denver made the FG, there’d still be a little time left on the clock for the Bills to receive a kickoff and pull off their own 13 second miracle. If he didn’t call the TOs, Denver was going to let the clock run down to nuthin and spike it at about 2 secs.

Edited by Bob Jones

1 hour ago, JerseyBills said:

Agreed on mcd being completely burned out

Maybe it's the burden of calling the D now, not sure but he's losing it. 

But what about the coaching gaffes for all the years before today? He just had elite Josh bailing him out for a lot of those games and even then he's had huge miscues in the playoffs, every single season we've made it. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

But what about the coaching gaffes for all the years before today? He just had elite Josh bailing him out for a lot of those games and even then he's had huge miscues in the playoffs, every single season we've made it. 

He expects Josh's talent to bail them out and puts blame on everyone but himself   Still doesn't understand how to play with a lead at the end of the game and for sure has no clue what he wants when the Bills are up.  Self awareness is not everybody's skill set and McDermott is lacking it  Repeating the same thing over and over expecting a different outcome is insanity yet here we are

3 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

The time outs at the end were a real head scratcher, and I said so at the time. I literally have ZERO idea what McD thought he was trying to do. Utter failure. 

Save enough time that if they make it you get a play was my understanding...?

I probably let them run the FG unit on and then call timeout... then see if they want to do it again.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.