Bills Offense is Where The Ravens Were With Roman aka Stale Time For Change

corta765

I got to thinking about how the offense this year has been so up and down bordering on stale at points as I watched the game and then I saw the score tracker at the bottom with the Ravens and it hit me the offense is played out the same way it had in BAL. Daboll created the offense you see back in 2018 and refined it to the peak it hit at the end of 2021. By all accounts from team, coach, opposing players, and NFL analysts Dorsey has not deviated from this. The problem with this is twofold:

1. Dorsey is not the experienced OC like Daboll who was very inventive with window dressing on plays, how guys were lined up, and the overall flow of the offense

2. The league has changed and offenses have to evolve to what it does. This is the least I can remember the Bills attacking deep and a big reason is the two safety shell that is now universally used.

The Ravens had a similar thing happen with Roman as the offense peaked and year by year failed to keep up and change itself. Things cratered last year as the Ravens did make the playoffs, but their fans said the exact same as what Buffalo fans are right now. In the off season new blood and a fresh OC who knew how to maximize what Lamar excels at while still letting him run a bit have led to a superb offense this year that overall might be the best team in the NFL.

The issue this year is the offense full stop. The defense in 2020 was actually not as great as years before or after as they finished 15th in yards allowed. It didn't matter because the offense was humming so well they could have a bad day. Right now if the offense was able to have had a better day in JAX/NE/CIN your probably talking about a 6-3 or even 7-2 team (Jets loss was Josh 100%). That really is the difference at this time and I think the offense is what it is without change at OC. Josh in his good games lately like TB can do enough to will them to victory and the rest of the pieces hang on enough to get the W. But even if they make the playoffs the bar from what we have seen feels lower now and without a new person at OC to view it I just don't see it changing.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Lamar haters have been real silent. Almost likes you need a good OC and weapons to throw to. Our offense is depressing and we have one of the most exciting players running it.

this is Lamar every year.  Then he's gone. 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I guess we’ll see. But he has been surrounded with legit garbage at receiver. 70%, less running, more total yards/ game. Dude might be the MVP right now. 

He's still not 2019 (insanely good year to get MVP) or 2020 Lamar.  He'll struggle to break 20 passing TDs at this rate.  Still running a lot.

Tua is at 70%, 2600 and 19 TDs. 

16 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

He's still not 2019 (insanely good year to get MVP) or 2020 Lamar.  He'll struggle to break 20 passing TDs at this rate.  Still running a lot.

Tua is at 70%, 2600 and 19 TDs. 

Ravens offense is 6th in yards, 6th in ppg, and has had two games total under 20 ppg. The total package looks far better then Buffalo and it is why comparing QB production solely after statistics is stupid. If Buffalo played Baltimore on neutral ground right now they would lose 30-21 at this moment. In no way do I currently trust the Bills offense in a track meet. Things can change, but this is the freshest the Ravens have looked in 5 years as an offense.

2 hours ago, corta765 said:

Ravens offense is 6th in yards, 6th in ppg, and has had two games total under 20 ppg. The total package looks far better then Buffalo and it is why comparing QB production solely after statistics is stupid. If Buffalo played Baltimore on neutral ground right now they would lose 30-21 at this moment. In no way do I currently trust the Bills offense in a track meet. Things can change, but this is the freshest the Ravens have looked in 5 years as an offense.

the topic is NFL MVP, not which Offense is in the top 10.  By your logic, Tua should be handed the MVP right now.

3 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I guess we’ll see. But he has been surrounded with legit garbage at receiver. 70%, less running, more total yards/ game. Dude might be the MVP right now. 

Whoever the MVP ends up being it’s looking like it will be one of the weakest MVPs in recent memory

3 hours ago, corta765 said:

I got to thinking about how the offense this year has been so up and down bordering on stale at points as I watched the game and then I saw the score tracker at the bottom with the Ravens and it hit me the offense is played out the same way it had in BAL. Daboll created the offense you see back in 2018 and refined it to the peak it hit at the end of 2021. By all accounts from team, coach, opposing players, and NFL analysts Dorsey has not deviated from this. The problem with this is twofold:

1. Dorsey is not the experienced OC like Daboll who was very inventive with window dressing on plays, how guys were lined up, and the overall flow of the offense

2. The league has changed and offenses have to evolve to what it does. This is the least I can remember the Bills attacking deep and a big reason is the two safety shell that is now universally used.

The Ravens had a similar thing happen with Roman as the offense peaked and year by year failed to keep up and change itself. Things cratered last year as the Ravens did make the playoffs, but their fans said the exact same as what Buffalo fans are right now. In the off season new blood and a fresh OC who knew how to maximize what Lamar excels at while still letting him run a bit have led to a superb offense this year that overall might be the best team in the NFL.

The issue this year is the offense full stop. The defense in 2020 was actually not as great as years before or after as they finished 15th in yards allowed. It didn't matter because the offense was humming so well they could have a bad day. Right now if the offense was able to have had a better day in JAX/NE/CIN your probably talking about a 6-3 or even 7-2 team (Jets loss was Josh 100%). That really is the difference at this time and I think the offense is what it is without change at OC. Josh in his good games lately like TB can do enough to will them to victory and the rest of the pieces hang on enough to get the W. But even if they make the playoffs the bar from what we have seen feels lower now and without a new person at OC to view it I just don't see it changing.

A thoughtful post.  Who are you, and what have you done with @corta765?

2 hours ago, corta765 said:

The Ravens wouldn’t score 30 on a neutral field against the Bills. 

19 minutes ago, julian said:

Whoever the MVP ends up being it’s looking like it will be one of the weakest MVPs in recent memory

Honestly to me it has been Tyreek Hill. Miami is a different animal without him and he is on pace for over 2000 yds which would be a new NFL record. Dude is a jerk as a person but his impact has been immeasurable for Miami and if it is most valuable, that offense is not the same without him.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, UKBillFan said:

Unfortunate with the injury? He looked a great signing up to then.

yup. we got 8 9 solid games from him but a 34 yo with prior acl tears was a risk for that big of a contract. Dude seems to have checked out and investing his time in his podcast and pursuit to be a gm

4 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

Von is probably the worse contract Beane gave.  I was excited at the time but at this rate it's depressing.  His Ghost pass rush turned him into a ghost on the field 

What is even more aggravating is they keep talking about him for the stretch run... at the rate they are going there will be no stretch run lol

The issue to me is that the Bills offense is Jekyll and Hyde.

Some weeks, they are absolute killers. They have shown that they can be lethally effective, just as they are constructed now, WITH this playbook and this playcaller. 

Then other weeks, they are meek little lambs. There's no rhythm, no variety, the playcalls don't build off of each other or show any semblance of creativity or logical sequencing or forethought.

Some drives, they spread things out, use tempo and motion, get to the line quickly, get the short game and Josh's legs working, and attack the defense until it looks helpless to stop them.

Other drives, they come out in static formations, use very little tempo or motion, get to the line too late, force the intermediate and long game, and look slow and timid and reactive, helpless against whatever the defense throws at them.

From game to game, and from drive to drive, they vacillate between these two extremes. Why? 

• Agree 1

17 minutes ago, corta765 said:

Honestly to me it has been Tyreek Hill. Miami is a different animal without him and he is on pace for over 2000 yds which would be a new NFL record. Dude is a jerk as a person but his impact has been immeasurable for Miami and if it is most valuable, that offense is not the same without him.

I agree and It’s possible and if he wins MVP is will definitely indicate the lack of high level QB play on a 1 seed team.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.