The Knox injury unfortunately has changed this offense for the better

FireChans

13 hours ago, FireChans said:

It sucks that Knox is injured. I like him as a player.

But it’s clear that without Knox, we are no longer forcing 12 personnel, which has clearly been holding this offense back. 

Unfortuantelt, we may see the 12 return when Knox gets healthy because Dorsey is going to have to include him and Kincaid. But the biggest difference tonight was 11 personnel. Dorsey is still Dorsey. this team is just better at 11 as currently constructed.

The bigger question is what does Beane do with Knox next season with a starting salary of 14 mllion,  that is a complete waste of cap space for a mediocre TE

13 hours ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

It wasn’t that much better in the end, I think it just felt like that because they got off to a better start. 

They had 3 tremendous opportunities to kill the game in the 4th and came up empty on all of those drives. 

Make no mistake, this offense still has big problems. 

This. This team and coaching staff has repeatedly let teams back into games and turned a comfortable win into a white knuckler. Say what you want but if  Brady and the Pats had a lead and the ball with 5:00 left in the game, it was over. We do not hand have never had that killer instinct. 

13 hours ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

He should have called an audible to sneak it for a TD. Why in the world would he not override a hand off call to Murray there?

Allen has to know anything INSIDE the one yard line has to be a QB sneak. 

I think 17 could have pulled it out and easily gone around left end for a TD.

36 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

The bigger question is what does Beane do with Knox next season with a starting salary of 14 mllion,  that is a complete waste of cap space for a mediocre TE

He’s not mediocre.  

That being said..

Given we have Kincaid, his 14M salary for a starting caliber backup TE makes no sense on this team next year.  

We’ll see how the season plays out, and there’s a role for 12, short yardage, goal line etc this year … but next year, it’s going to really enticing to get a pick back AND move 14M off the cap.  

I’m not saying someone is sending us a high pick, but he will have value.  We will easily be able to move him if we choose to.  

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Brandon said:

Well, yes, technically they've replaced them, but the resources they've expended to do so in comparison to the talent lost has been just about the minimum they could get away with.  Two 5ths, two guys signed at/near the veteran minimum and a mid tier kick returner/gadget guy.  You could argue Kincaid, but it’s still not the same position. Thankfully Shakir is showing signs of life,  but to this point,  the drop-off in quality beyond WR2 the last two years has been significant.  

I would argue Kincaid was the attempt to try to address secondary receivers this season, which along with the smaller additions in Hardy, Sheffield and Shorter was a decent attempt given the limited resources and the needs along the offensive line.

But I do agree that there was a lack of investment going into the 2022 season (going into 2021 they signed Sanders to replace Brown which was solid).

They were foolishly counting on Crowder and Mac to replace Beasley and Gabe to step up and replace Sanders production. They did add Shakir as depth and a developmental piece but he was not likely to have a big impact year one. 

The teams over investment into defense in 2022 was evident in how the offense performed having to over rely on Diggs and Josh consistently against better teams. They should have spent that 2022 first on an often linemen and used that Von money to sign a receiver but then again that hindsight as I didn’t hate the Elam pick at the time. 

I am just glad Shakir is getting his shot and they spent two high picks on the offense. I think with Diggs-Davis-Kincaid-Shakir as the top 4 options and an improved offensive line and better RB play Josh has enough around him esp when Knox comes back as a more supportive player and less of a focal point.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.