Who To Blame

Goin Breakdown

36 minutes ago, julian said:

This switching the offense to a more “balanced” attack and wanting Josh Allen to be a pocket passer is to blame.

Imagine be blessed a physical talent the likes of which the NFL has never seen at QB and be so pathetically scared of his possible injury that you you design your offense to limit his physical gifts.

Its absurd and a fireable offense.

question: “What do you think of your team’s execution coach?” To which McKay replied, “I’m in favor of it.”

—I found that legendary Mets’ coach Casey Stengel is also believed to have said it.

Intrigued, I emailed the gifted etymologist Barry Popik, who’d written a blogpost on the quote, and he in turn queried fellow etymologists Ben Zimmerand Garson O’Toole. In short order, these three researchers found the earliest known references to the quote, which derived not from McKay orStengel, but from a cartoon about a girl playing the piano, printed in an Oregon newspaper, in 1894.

3 hours ago, Success said:

3 games in a row, we don't really start playing until the 2nd half.

That's gotta be on the coaches.  There is plenty of blame to go around, but it starts there.

There's a lot of truth here.  I've been banging the O line and they have regressed while others are blaming Allen and he's been average in the 1st half of the last 3 games but Allen and the offenses production, including the O line play, has been very good in the 2nd half of all 3 games.  That's a fact every bit as true and observable as the Bills offense has struggled in the 1st half.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Roundybout said:

Beane should have known he’d tear his ACL! Fire him!!!!!!!!

That's fair and was my position up to a couple of games ago.  I changed my mind when someone posted that if you're going to take a chance on a high end/high risk talent and you have Allen at QB you do it on the offensive side of the ball.And I agree.  Bean & McD have focused on building the kind of late 20th/early 21st century defenses that used to win Super Bowls. But this mindset won't work in the 3rd decade of the 21st century.

If you're going to swing for the fences do it on the offensive side of the ball.  Like signing McCaffrey.

2 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

I’m in business- the first question is who am I paying to win?

the QB is by far the most highly paid of all the above. He’s 80% accountable. 

Sure he is, but you’ve got to let him go win it then. The Bills seem bent on doing the opposite- with steadily diminishing results. 

6 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

Be as sarcastic as you want but he was 33 years old when he was signed to a $120 million dollar contract.   You sign a 33 year old guy and dont foresee any injury issues?

Why not? Reggie White was 32 when he signed with Green Bay and that worked out just fine. 

I think at power positions, age doesn’t matter as much as it does with positions like DB or WR.

7 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

Why not? Reggie White was 32 when he signed with Green Bay and that worked out just fine. 

I think at power positions, age doesn’t matter as much as it does with positions like DB or WR.

When Reggie White signed with the Packers there wasn't a salary cap in the NFL.  It was a risk, but not nearly the risk the Von signing was.     Salary cap didnt start until White's second year in GB.

The Davis fumble against Giants and trying to force the ball to Knox on 1st play against Pats destroyed any early offensive momentum.  Mix in a whole bunch of Cook runs up the gut for 3 yards max and you git an offense that sputters out of the gate the past couple weeks.   Good news is Kincaid starting to look as good as advertised and the division looks winnable.  Add Kendrick Bourne or Slayton for 4th round pick or a premier RB like Barkley or Jacobs for a 3rd round pick and I think the offense can carry the team again.  

12 hours ago, Goin Breakdown said:

I'll start by saying, Everyone?  Yes a question mark, because idk. 

Josh-  is he seeing the whole field? Is he not going through reads? Is he Hurt? 
Coaching- are they handcuffing josh with the whole "don't run anymore" thing?  Is 12 personell and balance ruining it for this offense that really everyone other than the "we need to run the ball more crowd" seemed to enjoy. They were pretty darn great. Why "fix" that. 
Defense- can't tackle and injuries

Offense- dropped balls, Oline is looking like it's not that great again. Diggs (maybe Kincaid) are the only reliable targets and even Diggs has had his drops. 
Special teams- given up a TD to the Jets. Bass missing FG attempts

all in all the team is a mess

There just doesn't seem to be an easy answer other than it all a mess right now. Just sucks because we know they can be so much better. 

The missed FG was weird it was like the win took it. I never seen a ball turn like that before.

the Bills D big issue IMO was the inability to get any sort of consistent pressure on Jones. I think that’s why they blitzed so much. I know a lot of people blame the secondary, but if you give ANY QB time they will shred your D.

Bills O wasn’t sharp but they did give the D a 3 point lead with less than 2 minutes left. 

For this game? Pretty much every coach and player not named Kincaid or Cook. 

Overall though it’s coaching. IMO all the blowout wins, division titles, and wins in Arrowhead over recent years are proof of the talent on this team. The mind boggling inconsistency and getting routed in the playoffs multiple times are a condemnation on preparation and coaching.

Edited by gobills404
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Roundybout said:

Beane should have known he’d tear his ACL! Fire him!!!!!!!!

it’s not as much about the ACL as it is about how much team resources were spent on him, after the fact that we already spent big money there and big draft capital. 

I thin in there were a lot of folks considering it a major over pay in the wrong place. 

I actually put the blame at the feet of Allen for the Dorsey situation.  This team has acquiesced to Allen's wishes on OC and the Knox contract.  Ultimately it was McD and Beane's call... but Allen was the guy endorsing Ken Dorsey for OC.

I am also beginning to wonder if Allen's reputation around not putting many hours into film study has more truth to it than we had originally thought at the start of the season.  Seems like he is trying to rely solely on talent and not picking apart the weaknesses of his opponents.

McD and his staff are squarely responsible for the lack of preparation the last three weeks.  The London game in particular was just another example of McD not preparing his team to play in unusual circumstances - see the Tennessee COVID game, for instance.  It feels like the Legend of the Game needs to talk to the players because it certainly doesn't seem like there isn't any other place they'd rather be than "right here, right now!".

• Thank you (+1) 2

18 hours ago, Gunsgoodtime said:

Coaches.  Fire them all, Dorsey McDermott etc.   Ask yourself a simple question really think about it.....How much worse would a Josh Allen/Stephen Diggs combo do under a different coaching staff?   I dare say they could do not much worse but possibly better with a different coach.  I'm all for the gamble of replacing the staff..and yes, I'm old enough to endure the 18 year playoff drought 

My thinking is we haven't won and I don't think we will win with McDumbf**k as coach so why wait. The excuse train and gnashing of teeth that McDumbf**k will somehow right the ship is pure comedy! They are getting worse, not better and the rest of the NFL has caught and passed the Bills, prove me wrong, again why wait, ain't winning anything with him!

Edited by LarryMadman

18 hours ago, VaMilBill said:

Totally agree considering last year they were successful when Josh winged it. Not under the scheme of Dorsey. 

I think a lot of bills fan, and ownership included, are afraid of falling back to the drought years if we fire McD. Of course that’s a reasonable thought. But McD isn’t winning us a SB. Our expectations are higher. 

i would rather move in from McD and get an offensive coach who could possibly elevate this team instead of sticking with the known quantity of McD at this point. 

who do you have in mind? 

27 minutes ago, sullim4 said:

I actually put the blame at the feet of Allen for the Dorsey situation.  This team has acquiesced to Allen's wishes on OC and the Knox contract.  Ultimately it was McD and Beane's call... but Allen was the guy endorsing Ken Dorsey for OC.

I am also beginning to wonder if Allen's reputation around not putting many hours into film study has more truth to it than we had originally thought at the start of the season.  Seems like he is trying to rely solely on talent and not picking apart the weaknesses of his opponents.

McD and his staff are squarely responsible for the lack of preparation the last three weeks.  The London game in particular was just another example of McD not preparing his team to play in unusual circumstances - see the Tennessee COVID game, for instance.  It feels like the Legend of the Game needs to talk to the players because it certainly doesn't seem like there isn't any other place they'd rather be than "right here, right now!".

This.  

Diggs tantrums also starting to make sense now.  Diggs wasn’t complaining when Beasley was getting targets because the dude caught everything.  If Davis and Knox are your #2 and #3 options, Diggs should be targeted 80% of the time.  

NFL is a match up league, Belichick is the best at exposing a team weak points - m morris,  t. settle, s. brown & d. williams -  which I hope after 7 years as HC McD would be able to anticipate these tactics  and develop counter messages.   Just like this team still hasn't figured out - after 7 yrs - how to defend 3 & long.

43 minutes ago, sullim4 said:

I know Allen endorsed Dorsey for OC, but I feel like it's revisionist history to say that was the primary reason he was hired. Everyone in the organization was ok with Dorsey being promoted. It's not like we were holding open interviews and Dorsey was some dark-horse candidate that we brought in because of Josh. 

McBeane are loyal, to a fault, and tend to go back to players (or coaches) they are familiar with. How many times have they tapped the Carolina Panthers connection ? Do you think Josh was whispering in their ear to sign Josh Norman to the PS?  

Josh and Dawson are friends, but I don't know how much of an impact that had on his contract. A bad contract for Knox fits the McBeane MO perfectly. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.