NFL Trade Deadline Oct 31 - Rumored List of Players Available

ngbills

28 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

There we go. Adams is PISSED

I mean, he can get as pissed as he wants. We simply can't afford his contract. And the Raiders can't even afford to cut him.

The closest thing he has to an out is in 2025 and even that involves eating ~16 million in Dead Cap. That contract is simply untenable. Maybe there's someone who can afford to take it on. But it isn't us any way you slice it.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/las-vegas-raiders/davante-adams-14463/

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

It's 100% as dire.  Davis is not a #2 WR, he can't get separation constantly and still drops too many passes.  We also didn't score for, I believe, the last 25 minutes of the game. That is not good at all.

Past time to quit hoping Davis turns into something and spend resources on someone else.

Are many actually holding out hope at this point in his career that Davis becomes something more than he's been over the past 3+ seasons? Or, are many hoping KINCAID, an initially underutilized talent (on whom the Bills DID "spend resources"), continues to turn into the weapon he was hopefully drafted to be? He should be featured extensively moving forward. He's a natural. 

I'd rather see the Bills hold tight this year, then draft a 1st or 2nd day WR in the 2024 draft (VERY deep WR pool, reportedly). Davis could net us a compensatory 3rd if he gets signed away. Gotta keep stacking drafted talent and loading the position group pipelines in cost-effective ways, unless some absolutely obvious moonshot falls into their laps to justify over-spending. But who currently qualifies as that moonshot (and can be fit under the cap)?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Richard Noggin said:

But who currently qualifies as that moonshot (and can be fit under the cap)?

The only one that truly qualifies is DeAndre Hopkins. He costs a little over a million for the rest of this season without any guarantees after.

However with the Titans owner veto'ing a Trade of Henry to the Ravens today, I don't know that they're open for business.

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

I mean, he can get as pissed as he wants. We simply can't afford his contract. And the Raiders can't even afford to cut him.

The closest thing he has to an out is in 2025 and even that involves eating ~16 million in Dead Cap. That contract is simply untenable. Maybe there's someone who can afford to take it on. But it isn't us any way you slice it.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/las-vegas-raiders/davante-adams-14463/

Yes we can. This is just not true.

15 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Yes we can. This is just not true.

... how? Have you looked at that contract? Please enlighten me. That thing is so gawdy, there is no amount of restructuring that could be done to feasibly fit it in our situation for this year or next. Right now we have 5.2 million to our name minus the PS contract for Fournette.

And them eating most of it for us and giving him to us? I don't want to know what the compensation would be for that.

Edited by BillsFanForever19

3 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

... how? Have you looked at that contract? Please enlighten me. That thing is so gawdy, there is no amount of restructuring that could be done to feasibly fit it in our situation for this year or next.

And them eating most of it for us and giving him to us? I don't want to know what the compensation would be for that.

Let’s start with the basics, how much is Davante due this season? And how much has he already been paid?

52 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

We simply can't afford his contract.

Sure we could. His cap hit for us this year would be negligible. Next year you convert a large portion of his $16.9m base salary into a signing bonus and restructure his contract to give him more guarantees in 2024/2025, make it so there's not a real out until 2026, etc. He and his agent are happy and we push the money into the future. Surely this type of restructure isn't new to you, right? It's standard business in the modern NFL and we have an especially rich owner willing to front load a lot of money to facilitate it.

52 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

And the Raiders can't even afford to cut him.

Sure they could. Their cap hit this year and next year would be lower after trading him, even with the resulting dead cap, and they would owe nothing beyond 2024.

You gotta do a little research before throwing out incorrect information like that.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

3 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Sure we could. His cap hit for us this year would be negligible. Next year you convert a large portion of his $16.9 base salary into a signing bonus and restructure his contract to give him more guarantees in 2024/2025, make it so there's not a real out until 2026, etc. He and his agent are happy and we push the money into the future. Surely this type of restructure isn't new to you, right? It's standard business in the modern NFL and we have an especially rich owner willing to front load a lot of money to facilitate it.

Sure they could. Their cap hit this year and next year would be lower after trading him, even with the resulting dead cap, and they would owe nothing beyond 2024.

You gotta do a little research before throwing out incorrect information like that.

No doubt the contract COULD be reworked to fit under the cap. It almost always CAN be done. 

But wisdom is knowing when it should NOT be done innit? 

What kind of negative salary cap and on-field impacts could be wrought by tying up BIG money for another 2 and 3 years to TWO WRs over 30? Not to mention the asset cost of acquisition which can then limit the team's ability to add future cost-controlled understudies to the big ticket guys.

Both lines need some attention/investment soon. I'd argue one well-chosen Day 1 or 2 WR pick in the next draft (HUGE value/depth there) puts the Bills in better position in 2024 and onward than spending assets and money on a 30+ year old Adams to pair with Diggs. So the move would be about 2023, when it would take Adams some time to get assimilated into this complicated offense. 

I wouldn't be upset about it. But I'm not hoping for it unless the player is willing to take a major discount to WIN.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Richard Noggin said:

What kind of negative salary cap and on-field impacts could be wrought by tying up BIG money for another 2 and 3 years to TWO WRs over 30?

Meh. Allen and Diggs combined have $42 million in base salary next year that can be converted into signing bonus. Poyer and White can be cut for almost $12 million in cap savings. Morse for another $8.5 million. Plus the cap will continue rising exponentially each year as the new TV and streaming deals mature.

The Bills entered this offseason way over the cap and ended up going on a spending spree in free agency. Trust me, it will always work out. We can keep kicking the can down the road until the day Allen retires and then take a couple years of bad medicine.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

If the choice was between him and D. Adams, give me the WR

Adams would just be an expensive rental and I'm not sure how he'd handle being the number two target on an offense.  Give me a CB who can help us for years down the road.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Warriorspikes51 said:

Jaylon Johnson is actually realistic now. Less than a 2 million hit this season.

the question is extension.  Difficult decision with Tre White

Unfortunately I don't think it is a difficult decision. We have to move forward under the assumption that Tre is done with football, or at least done being anywhere close to the best version of himself. Maybe his recovery goes perfectly and he gets back to form but we have to assume the worst.

So if someone like Adams or Hopkins isn't available, acquiring a true #1 CB is the next best path to improving the team substantially now and in the future. Jaylon Johnson would be an excellent move. A true #1 island CB allows McDermott to run his actual defense, not this blitz happy nail biter he's been running since Tre went down.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

16 minutes ago, Richard Noggin said:

No doubt the contract COULD be reworked to fit under the cap. It almost always CAN be done. 

But wisdom is knowing when it should NOT be done innit? 

What kind of negative salary cap and on-field impacts could be wrought by tying up BIG money for another 2 and 3 years to TWO WRs over 30? Not to mention the asset cost of acquisition which can then limit the team's ability to add future cost-controlled understudies to the big ticket guys.

Both lines need some attention/investment soon. I'd argue one well-chosen Day 1 or 2 WR pick in the next draft (HUGE value/depth there) puts the Bills in better position in 2024 and onward than spending assets and money on a 30+ year old Adams to pair with Diggs. So the move would be about 2023, when it would take Adams some time to get assimilated into this complicated offense. 

I wouldn't be upset about it. But I'm not hoping for it unless the player is willing to take a major discount to WIN.

One WR would be banking on a productive rookie WR starting immediately on a team trying to contend for a Super Bowl. 

Not really a great plan for me.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Meh. Allen and Diggs combined have $42 million in base salary next year that can be converted into signing bonus. Poyer and White can be cut for almost $12 million in cap savings. Morse for another $8.5 million. Plus the cap will continue rising exponentially each year as the new TV and streaming deals mature.

The Bills entered this offseason way over the cap and ended up going on a spending spree in free agency. Trust me, it will always work out. We can keep kicking the can down the road until the day Allen retires and then take a couple years of bad medicine.

See, THIS is actually compelling as a counterpoint.

It represents a dramatically different philosophy on roster and cap management than what Beane has shown (and especially talked about), but the $20M in savings alone from cutting Poyer, White, and Morse, is at least intriguing. 

That $42M in convertible base salary for Diggs and Allen is like a no-brainer for such integral offensive cornerstones (guys who should retire as Bills no matter what), except that it won't net that much in annual cap savings, right? You have to divide it by number of years remaining on each deal to calculate the amortized 2024 savings for each deal, don'tcha? 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.