All-22 analysis of Bills/Jags

HappyDays

5 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

The play was 3-15 and the Jags got trapped inside the 10. There is no guarantee that the 4th down punt would have produced a better result than that.

Yea the majority of Josh’s ints actually have helped us.  One was an arm punt on 2nd and long which isn’t a huge negative but it’s throwing a down away, and one was a very bad pick at midfield against the jets.  all the others were fine.  It’s kind of crazy all ints count the same on that stat sheet 😂

I can’t believe how important that play to diggs was.  Obviously you change the way the game is played a bit but that could’ve been a 400 passing yard 4 total td win for josh if diggs hangs on to that ball that was literally in his hands 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Normally I’d agree, but I’m pretty sure the DB who won is a very small CB

Yes that's my point

AJ Brown would have just ripped the ball off the defenders head, Jefferson would have knifed it from between his hands, Hill would have backflipped over the DB and caught it between his legs or something

Diggs is a very explosive in short areas/surgical precise footwork/sticky hands kind of guy but he's not going to just beast out and physically dominate the contested catch situation, and tbh I don't expect him to because that's not really his game

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

I don't know if Diggs does tbh because he's not a big contested catch guy

But AJ Brown, Hill, Adams etc are coming down w that ball a decent amount of the time and if not they're certainly not letting it go for an INT

F8FSzdoXUAAmMRK?format=jpg&name=small

edit for photo

Diggs won a walk-off playoff game with one of the greatest contested catches I’ve ever seen.  He can make and has made that play.

1 minute ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Yea the majority of Josh’s ints actually have helped us.  One was an arm punt on 2nd and long which isn’t a huge negative but it’s throwing a down away, and one was a very bad pick at midfield against the jets.  all the others were fine.  It’s kind of crazy all ints count the same on that stat sheet 😂

I can’t believe how important that play to diggs was.  Obviously you change the way the game is played a bit but that could’ve been a 400 passing yard 4 total td win for josh if diggs hangs on to that ball that was literally in his hands 

The DB was falling backward towards the ground, so he was working with gravity. Diggs was trying to fight both the DB and physics.

1 hour ago, GoBills808 said:

Catching downfield requires a lot of concentration in addition to great body control

The wr who has tracked the ball and gathers himself to go up is almost always in a better position to make a play than the DB who has been sprinting w head turned and his momentum going away...which works against catching a pass

It's easier to catch a pass downfield the slower you as a receiver are moving, your momentum away from the ball works against you

The DB's momentum wasn't going away though? He didn't break his stride at all.

5 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

The DB was falling backward towards the ground, so he was working with gravity. Diggs was trying to fight both the DB and physics.

Yea I don’t even think he had to rip the ball out and possess it solo though…if he just falls on top of the guy with his hands still on the ball too we probably get credit for the catch. 

a lot of that would’ve come down to the ruling on the field though of course 

13 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

The DB's momentum wasn't going away though? He didn't break his stride at all.

i was going to use a soccer analogy- on long goal kicks the defender usually has leverage being the deeper guy, in this situation diggs would be in the defender's position

1 minute ago, GoBills808 said:

i was going to use a soccer analogy- on long goal kicks the defender usually has leverage being the deeper guy, in this situation diggs would be in the defender's position

But the central defender (and I have played that position plenty ;)) normally has the momentum advantage and is timing it up to attack the ball and the forward is the one with the standing start. Diggs wasn't quite a standing start but he did not have the momentum advantage. Almost always in aerial duels in soccer it is momentum and timing that wins the day. 

• Agree 1

Just now, GunnerBill said:

But the central defender (and I have played that position plenty ;)) normally has the momentum advantage and is timing it up to attack the ball and the forward is the one with the standing start. Diggs wasn't quite a standing start but he did not have the momentum advantage. Almost always in aerial duels in soccer it is momentum and timing that wins the day. 

Diggs had less momentum going away from the ball than the DB

the defender winning a header is usually similarly advantaged

unless you are going up against a freak like Lukaku or Haaland or Drogba the defender is always in a better spot because he has less momentum going away from the ball

at the catch moving away from the direction of the pass is the disadvantage

1 hour ago, Scott7975 said:

That may be sometimes true, it certainly isn't always true.  People like to parrot stuff until it becomes fact.  These receivers have a hard time creating separation. Especially in the shorter/quick range. They aren't going to get many YAC balls when that is the case.

The best the Bills have ever been in YAC since Josh took over as QB is 14th.  So it makes more sense to you that they consistently sign wideouts who can't separate for the last 6 years than it is to say Josh's throwing style doesn't lead to YAC yardage?

They've had how many different tight ends and wideouts since 2018?  I can count 10 without trying, and all of those guys can't separate?   Yes, I am repeating my opinion on this redundantly, because it comes up multiple times a year.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

@HoofHearted

I knew I had an old thread on it and I found it 

you are the last comment page 1 

And tho I don't think the NFL is playing it off as new or innovative because it's not new

I certainly don't think it's as easy to execute at a high level ... some teams just don't have the right guys... Tre and Dane and Micah and Poyer and benford are very heady players... cerebral... they fit it perfectly 

You need a defensive back field that is playing in cohesion, and has great field awareness, play recognition... saban has run it with success at Alabama because he recruits super heady cornerbacks.. the best/smartest HS corners and safeties in the country... perfect scheme fit 

St John bosco's can run it because they have five division one defensive backs ... I could run it at canisius because they have the best players in buffalo ... But I don't think it would work at JFK because they don't have the right guys or football ability 

Some NFL teams have super athletic corners who aren't thinkers ... just turn hips and run ... That team might not find as much success in palms as a team that value cerebral corners

Edited by Buffalo716

3 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

I don't know if Diggs does tbh because he's not a big contested catch guy

But AJ Brown, Hill, Adams etc are coming down w that ball a decent amount of the time and if not they're certainly not letting it go for an INT

F8FSzdoXUAAmMRK?format=jpg&name=small

edit for photo

It was good that it went for an INT instead of an INC. It was the Bills’ best punt all day: 51 yards and no return. It was 3rd and 15.

1 minute ago, GoBills808 said:

of course

you'd just like to think in a competition between Stefon Diggs and Darious Williams you could predict the winner w some regularity

I can’t get too down on Diggs, who is so far having the best season of his career. He is on pace for 132 receptions, 1768 yards, and 17 TDs. I expect it to tail off due to weather, but he has been playing like a first-team all pro this season.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.