McDermott Hot Seat?

Mark92

5 minutes ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

Behold, TSW, the king of hyper-emotional post-loss word salad.

TREMBLE at his sheer lack of anything resembling testicular fortitude.

Behold some alt-right, ageism lunatic, who fears actual wisdom, and results to his typical bullying behavior.  As he stumbles and fumbles to find answers to those like Tom Coughlin.  While breaking down under literary analysis of statements and sentiments.  Regarding how he wouldn’t feel comfortable around a certain age bracket due to his vain existence of a near Coupling (Sally Harper) aging crisis.  I don’t think you ever respected elders because you were such a sweet and delicate entitled child and nobody ever put a boot up yer arse.  You’ve got all the complexities of a spoiled child.  Looks like the old men have more testicular fortitude and rings to show for it then you do.  Word salad is generally that condescending and sniveling line which means you lack intellectualism  and intelligence for debate.  

2 hours ago, mannc said:

The Chiefs beat Jacksonville on the road.  Philly is 5-0.  WTH are you talking about?

The Chiefs beat the Jags, the team we just got embarrassed by, on the road.  The Eagles are 5-0 and went to the Super Bowl last year.  Two of the Bills’ three wins are against absolute tomato cans and they lost to Zack Wilson.  The Bills are a second tier team.

Whose the top tier? '9ers and Eagles? '9ers only win of season against a "good" team was the Cowboys. The Eagles maybe the Vikings?  

Even prior to the season, I've been of the opinion that his seat is deceptively warm like Tony Dungy's was in Tampa prior to the Glazers hiring Gruden, and Jim Mora in Indy prior to the Colts hiring Dungy.   The Bills are a *very good* team but can't seem to get over that hump.  I think he's in trouble even if the Bills finish with a winning record.  Another early departure from the playoffs could be it.

Here's why:  Yes, the Bills are enjoying sustained success, but the Pegulas do not spend all of that money to be "very good", and with each passing year, you're using another year of Josh Allen/Stefon Diggs prime.  You'll have squandered Von Miller's time.  You also want the team on an upward trajectory heading into the new stadium.  Much of what has kept the Bills out of the Super Bowl is fundamentally tied to organization, strategy and coaching.  

As it pertains to this year, this team is loaded up for a Super Bowl run *this* year.  The money has been spent, the players acquired, and again you've got bizarre organizational issues that fall to the head coach and his coaching staff.  

12 minutes ago, Thriftygamer83 said:

Behold some alt-right, ageism lunatic, who fears actual wisdom, and results to his typical bullying behavior.  As he stumbles and fumbles to find answers to those like Tom Coughlin.  While breaking down under literary analysis of statements and sentiments.  Regarding how he wouldn’t feel comfortable around a certain age bracket due to his vain existence of a near Coupling (Sally Harper) aging crisis.  I don’t think you ever respected elders because you were such a sweet and delicate entitled child and nobody ever put a boot up yer arse.  You’ve got all the complexities of a spoiled child.  Looks like the old men have more testicular fortitude and rings to show for it then you do.  Word salad is generally that condescending and sniveling line which means you lack intellectualism  and intelligence for debate.  

Uh-huh. Let's dissect this particular salad point by point:

1) The iceberg lettuce of the salad: Alt-right? Whaaaat? :lol: And bullying? Listen, man, if I wanted to bully you, you'd know I was doing it.

2) Tom fricking Coughlin? When was the last time he coached, let alone one of his teams won a Super Bowl?

3) I dug holes and burned human waste in the middle-east desert as a US Army private. Please do tell me again how I've never had a boot up my ass.

4) I tend to reserve intellectual responses for those that have a modicum of intellect.

And for the record, I've been following this team for a long time now, 40 years. I know what this team was, and I know what this team is. I have a great deal of respect for my elders, but If you're going to try and tell me that BILL BELICHICK, who won precisely nothing without Tom Brady under center is the answer, I'm going to rightly ridicule you.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, dpberr said:

Even prior to the season, I've been of the opinion that his seat is deceptively warm like Tony Dungy's was in Tampa prior to the Glazers hiring Gruden, and Jim Mora in Indy prior to the Colts hiring Dungy.   The Bills are a *very good* team but can't seem to get over that hump.  I think he's in trouble even if the Bills finish with a winning record.  Another early departure from the playoffs could be it.

Here's why:  Yes, the Bills are enjoying sustained success, but the Pegulas do not spend all of that money to be "very good", and with each passing year, you're using another year of Josh Allen/Stefon Diggs prime.  You'll have squandered Von Miller's time.  You also want the team on an upward trajectory heading into the new stadium.  Much of what has kept the Bills out of the Super Bowl is fundamentally tied to organization, strategy and coaching.  

As it pertains to this year, this team is loaded up for a Super Bowl run *this* year.  The money has been spent, the players acquired, and again you've got bizarre organizational issues that fall to the head coach and his coaching staff.  

Think he shot himself in the foot admitting he doesn’t bring the energy of a Doug Pederson.  The presser was depressing and not leaving until Friday. Just didn’t take the game seriously and doesn’t he’s more concerned most likely with his hometown Pittsburgh, watching the Steelers ground out, as he also watches Pitt, and the W&M where he met with AD and team officials before signing his extension which he’d told Kim and Terry he’d never do so, but did so anyway.  It’s not surpassing now in hindsight why he didn’t call out Ken Dorsey for interviewing with the Panthers and his insulting arrogance over mentioning how he’d bolt from Buffalo for the Miami Hurricanes job.  When he’s done the same things himself.  

17 minutes ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

Uh-huh. Let's dissect this particular salad point by point:

1) The iceberg lettuce of the salad: Alt-right? Whaaaat? :lol: And bullying? Listen, man, if I wanted to bully you, you'd know I was doing it.

2) Tom fricking Coughlin? When was the last time he coached, let alone one of his teams won a Super Bowl?

3) I dug holes and burned human waste in the middle-east desert as a US Army private. Please do tell me again how I've never had a boot up my ass.

4) I tend to reserve intellectual responses for those that have a modicum of intellect.

And for the record, I've been following this team for a long time now, 40 years. I know what this team was, and I know what this team is. I have a great deal of respect for my elders, but If you're going to try and tell me that BILL BELICHICK, who won precisely nothing without Tom Brady under center is the answer, I'm going to rightly ridicule you.

Tom still had two Super Bowl victories, was mocked just as much by fans due to his age, and that was from Buffalo when he interviewed.  I think ring envy is so deep in this fan base.  That it mixed so well with ageism and from a literary perspective of analysis you still do the same technical breakdowns over age.  When a name comes up like Harbaugh fans knocked him and said he could come back to special teams during the Ryan-era.  I think we get to see why we’ve had it so rough and it’s because fans here have such a toxic attitude but try to hide it under a streaming of neon veneer when in reality they’d throw Grandma out and say it’s for the youth not the old.  As for being forty I don’t try to hinge and hang onto the word salad phraseology of the alt-right like Raheem Kassam or others. You opened that can of worms up. Now, I’m just going to see myself out of this.  

12 minutes ago, Thriftygamer83 said:

Tom still had two Super Bowl victories, was mocked just as much by fans due to his age, and that was from Buffalo when he interviewed.  I think ring envy is so deep in this fan base.  That it mixed so well with ageism and from a literary perspective of analysis you still do the same technical breakdowns over age.  When a name comes up like Harbaugh fans knocked him and said he could come back to special teams during the Ryan-era.  I think we get to see why we’ve had it so rough and it’s because fans here have such a toxic attitude but try to hide it under a streaming of neon veneer when in reality they’d throw Grandma out and say it’s for the youth not the old.  As for being forty I don’t try to hinge and hang onto the word salad phraseology of the alt-right like Raheem Kassam or others. You opened that can of worms up. Now, I’m just going to see myself out of this.  

salad bar.JPG

To me the Bills are comparatively a good organization and McD is a good coach and a good person. I think he cares about his guys. Being a good person is important insofar as player relations are concerned and in that regard the Bills have pretty much been without public controversy and focused on football throughout the Beane/McD era. They are entirely a professional outfit. I think he's a top shelf DC, an excellent defensive mind, but I think he needs help with the offence. What he needs is an experienced OC to whom he hands over the reins. Dorsey might be talented but his inexperience seems to show itself often enough relative to play design and play calling. His product sometimes seems unsophisticated in comparison to the best of his peers and one has to wonder whether he is making the most productive use of the talent at his disposal (JMO but I think maybe not). In the best case scenario he gets much better over time as he gains experience. In the worst case he just doesn't have it. In either case time is of the essence re the Josh Allen window. Ideally of course the Bills would have gone out and tried to hire a currently more accomplished guy assuming one was available, but the Bills tendency to hire from within limits the accessible talent pool. Ideally you go out and hire the best guy. Not sure the Bills do that. Maybe their concern is that if they have never worked with a guy there is a risk of functional disharmony at the senior coaching level and that of course could possibly be disastrous. To me though that's a risk that you do your best to manage through due diligence and then otherwise you absolutely take that risk. There is no substitute for talent.

Right now I'm hoping that Dorsey will prove to be that guy over the course of the year. If he doesn't they need to make changes heading into the 24 season. I don't care if Dorsey is Josh's pal. 

44 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

My fear is Allen will go down in history as the best QB to never win a Super Bowl. 

Then we may hear the McDermott drone of how teams didn’t listen to his process. It’s been over seven years, he needs to have sustained energy.  I’m sure players like him and respect him.  Just had so many problems bringing the intensity which we saw Pederson bring.  Which still is alarming because he didn’t bring the team until Friday, how prepared would Levy have been, he would’ve been focused, composed, and building up a playing scheme around the pitch.  So many different issues wherein he still acts like a spoiled brat and with a padded win-loss ratio and breaking the drought I think the first chip in his armor is exposed.  

39 minutes ago, starrymessenger said:

To me the Bills are comparatively a good organization and McD is a good coach and a good person. I think he cares about his guys. Being a good person is important insofar as player relations are concerned and in that regard the Bills have pretty much been without public controversy and focused on football throughout the Beane/McD era. They are entirely a professional outfit. I think he's a top shelf DC, an excellent defensive mind, but I think he needs help with the offence. What he needs is an experienced OC to whom he hands over the reins. Dorsey might be talented but his inexperience seems to show itself often enough relative to play design and play calling. His product sometimes seems unsophisticated in comparison to the best of his peers and one has to wonder whether he is making the most productive use of the talent at his disposal (JMO but I think maybe not). In the best case scenario he gets much better over time as he gains experience. In the worst case he just doesn't have it. In either case time is of the essence re the Josh Allen window. Ideally of course the Bills would have gone out and tried to hire a currently more accomplished guy assuming one was available, but the Bills tendency to hire from within limits the accessible talent pool. Ideally you go out and hire the best guy. Not sure the Bills do that. Maybe their concern is that if they have never worked with a guy there is a risk of functional disharmony at the senior coaching level and that of course could possibly be disastrous. To me though that's a risk that you do your best to manage through due diligence and then otherwise you absolutely take that risk. There is no substitute for talent.

Right now I'm hoping that Dorsey will prove to be that guy over the course of the year. If he doesn't they need to make changes heading into the 24 season. I don't care if Dorsey is Josh's pal. 

To me it feels like after admitting he didn’t bring the energy, waiting until Friday, and not remembering how Doug Pederson had smoked him last time.  Sean didn’t take it seriously he’s not as focused as Marc Levy, he’s not as schematically focused as Levy, and he’s not going to try and learn one hundred percent the perfectionism of Marv.  Bottom line is, is that until McDermott actually takes it seriously 24/7 he’s got no business being an NFL HC end of story.  

Edited by Thriftygamer83

46 minutes ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

salad bar.JPG

Okay, then since you didn’t take the hint.  Sean maybe one of the greatest Coaches Buffalo has ever had.  The problem is he’s unfocused, uninspired, not 24/7 devoted, and he wouldn’t even be bothered to test the pitch for getting his team ready.  He didn’t take Doug Pederson seriously and still thought the Jags weren’t a threat.  Until. He gets down off his high hill and devotes himself one hundred percent like Marv Levy, Bill Walsh, Vince Lombardi, and Jimmy Johnson during a football season as it’s a business including John Madden as well.  He’s not going to be anywhere near them and he’ll be a playoff Coach who’s not really even close to someone like Marty who tried but had his ceiling.  Whatever’s going on in his personal life along with his staff he has to put it on a shelf and on hold.  That’s the nature  the business and I don’t think he’s going to be cut anymore slack for his miscalculations he’s a professional.  

Just now, Thriftygamer83 said:

Okay, then since you didn’t take the hint.  Sean maybe one of the greatest Coaches Buffalo has ever had.  The problem is he’s unfocused, uninspired, not 24/7 devoted, and he wouldn’t even be bothered to test the pitch for getting his team ready.  He didn’t take Doug Pederson seriously and still thought the Jags weren’t a threat.  Until. He gets down off his high hill and devotes himself one hundred percent like Marv Levy, Bill Walsh, Vince Lombardi, and Jimmy Johnson during a football season as it’s a business including John Madden as well.  He’s not going to be anywhere near them and he’ll be a playoff Coach who’s not really even close to someone like Marty who tried but had his ceiling.  Whatever’s going on in his personal life along with his staff he has to put it on a shelf and on hold.  That’s the nature  the business and I don’t think he’s going to be cut anymore slack for his miscalculations he’s a professional.  

What I read there is a whole lot of speculation, guessing and attempts at psychological insight about McDermott. Literally zero evidence provided. The man doesn't succeed like he has unless he's committed. Do better.

Just now, SUNY_amherst said:

give Belichick Allen alone and he's hoisting a SB trophy. Allen & Diggs for nearly 5 years? forget about it. multiple titles. 

With McDermott we celebrate "points differential" though

Really? You know that with absolute certainty, do you?

McDermott isn't on the hot seat, obviously.  

And as someone who has been lukewarm on his ability to bring us a Super Bowl, he's impressed me so far this season.  I do believe that with his defensive style, this team is better suited to win deep in the Playoffs.

That being said....

Way too many losses like this under his tenure.  Patrick Mahomes looks well on his way to another season of home playoff games, while the Bills look completely disjointed against the Jets and were woefully unprepared for the London game.   Another year, another season of inexplicable losses that we likely look back on as the reason we lose out on the 1 seed.

....and this year, we have the added bonus of Miami in division, a team that might be a notch below Buffalo and KC, but has an Offense that doesn't seem prone to JV games like ours can put forth.   If they continue in keeping Tua upright, they don't look like a team that is going to slip up against a NYJ or Jax. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, SUNY_amherst said:

give Belichick Allen alone and he's hoisting a SB trophy. Allen & Diggs for nearly 5 years? forget about it. multiple titles. 

With McDermott we celebrate "points differential" though

I'm sorry this man put Matt Patricia and Joe Judge in charge of his offense last year, even the players went off on that decision...Kendrick Bourne especially. I'm not saying Bill is the worst coach in the NFL but he hasn't been good either.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.