Allen’s underthrown passes

Einstein

Just now, RyanC883 said:

I do understand the game.  Nice addition there.   If Allen is afraid of overthrowing so his correction is to routinely under-throw, he is not elite.  Had Diggs wide open, no need to hang onto the ball that long. 

Ok your the man 👍.. go enjoy the elite qb’s playing 

• Eyeroll 1

3 minutes ago, Mikie2times said:

No topic seems to offend our fan base more than talking about Josh in a critical way. So maybe people are just trying to talk in a way that will allow some level of conversation. Josh did not seem to be the problem in this game. He played well. As far as if he should have hit those deep throws, maybe it does have some merit. When is the last pure deep ball Josh has hit in stride? Pittsburgh last year? It seems like he is often late on these. He's also a viable MVP candidate. Even if he misses some deep balls.  

Thank you. You get it obviously 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, BillzFreak said:

So all the other elite passes he makes means nothing because of the 2 he threw today? Is that how it works now?

no, he cannot make those passes almost ever.  When is the last in stride TD pass he has thrown over 20 yards?   He makes lazers in short windows for sure, but he needs to make the routine ones also. 

1 hour ago, mrags said:

Careful there. I’ve brought this exact thing up in the past. And people just keep telling me that the throws are amazing and not many in the league can make these throws. Still doesn’t take away from the fact that he seems to consistently underthrow passes when his WRs are streaking deep for what should be walk in TDs.

he’s done this since he started in the league. His first few years he had quite a few of these to Foster and Brown as well.  

Lol it’s clearly under thrown but an impressive enough play given the circumstances.  No one is telling you the throw was perfectly on target but when he’s dancing around in a collapsing pocket to buy enough time to make that play you’ve gotta give him some benefit of the doubt 

I think most of it is negative bias where he hits a deep throw in stride and people just take it for granted and when one is slightly off target it seems like he’s missing them all 

It's Josh overcompensating for his arm strength most likely..in the his first few years Allen would at times over throw ( not enough arc) john brown and diggs the first season he came to Buffalo so he tends to leave them a bit shorter at times. But in alot of these cases its just him missing because hes unable to step in due to pressure 

7 minutes ago, QLBillsFan said:

When the rest of the team plays poorly ?? Yeah misguided energy around JA turrible throws 😂 

Ugh. Never said that. Keep putting words in my mouth 

2 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Lol it’s clearly under thrown but an impressive enough play given the circumstances.  No one is telling you the throw was perfectly on target but when he’s dancing around in a collapsing pocket to buy enough time to make that play you’ve gotta give him some benefit of the doubt 

I think most of it is negative bias where he hits a deep throw in stride and people just take it for granted and when one is slightly off target it seems like he’s missing them all 

I’ll just keep saying. Start watching his deep throws. Happens more than you think 

7 minutes ago, Aimee75 said:

Total offense today was 388 or something like that. Josh had about 360 yards, 3 TDs today. I am so mad at myself for even being involved in this thread. My bad.

That’s kind of a misrepresentation of todays offensive performance though.

Nearly half (43%) of the offenses total yardage came in the last 3 minutes and 41 seconds of the game.

For the vast majority of the game, we could not move the ball.

Our drives prior to those final 3 minutes were:

Punt

Punt

Punt

Punt

Touchdown

Punt

Punt

Interception

Edited by Einstein

2 minutes ago, JMM said:

It is weird, I've noticed that this year. Used to be the opposite! He would sail his long passes..🤷‍♂️

He is throwing with more touch to give his receivers a chance to make a play. It's plain and simple. Our receivers aren't waddle or hill so yes Josh is taking velocity off to make sure he has a higher chance of completing it. And so far in all reality it's working.

35 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

He didn't have the momentum. He was trying to come back to the ball. The DB was attacking it. Just the laws of physics favoured the defender. Would have been an incredible grab if he came down with it.

I've seen Diggs make that exact catch several times. Two that I can remember off the top of my head were against Oakland and Miami in 2020. Allen was giving his WR1 a chance against a 5'9 CB with pressure all around him. Diggs knows he should have had that one... But I won't get too mad at him, he was the only offensive player other than Allen to show up consistently before the game was out of hand.

• Disagree 1

24 minutes ago, Einstein said:

That’s kind of a misrepresentation of todays offensive performance though.

Nearly half (43%) of the offenses total yardage came in the last 3 minutes and 41 seconds of the game.

For the vast majority of the game, we could not move the ball.

Our drives prior to those final 3 minutes were:

Punt

Punt

Punt

Punt

Touchdown

Punt

Punt

Interception

It's not misrepsentation, HE WAS the reason we had a chance. It's not like the game was ever out of hand.

Good defense by The Jags, sus calling on offense(trying to get Cooks run game going when it wasn't working), dropped passes, egregious flags and a half dead defense, yet we had a chance, mostly because of Allen and Epenesa.

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, mrags said:

Ugh. Never said that. Keep putting words in my mouth 

I’ll just keep saying. Start watching his deep throws. Happens more than you think 

You jump on a thread after a game and focus on JA under throws ? No ? In a game in which he generally played well considering.. those are the facts. Just responding to your #1 topic post game.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.