O Line Pass Protect/ QB Unforced Error Review - All 22 - Week 4 Dolphins

Bocephuz

In the past i used to do lengthy in depth posts with gifs.. don't have time for that nowadays

I watched every passing snap to evaluate pass blocking performance as well as Josh Allen unforced errors committed (PASS BLOCKING ONLY EVALUATED.. did not evaluate running plays). 

UNFORCED ERROR  =  Allen has time to throw, WR is open and he misses throw.. or.. Allen makes poor unforced decision 

OLINEMAN BEATEN =  O lineman clearly loses his one on one matchup... or.. clearly misreads stunt/combo block

____

OLINEMAN BEATEN STATS

DAWKINS - 0

MCGOVERN - 0

MORSE - 0

TORRENCE - 1

BROWN - 3

-DAWKINS - Dion dominated all day. He was almost beaten once but rallied and pancaked the guy before he got to Josh

- MCGOVERN - Yet again... another clean sheet for McGovern. Rock solid HUGE upgrade over Saffold. 

- MORSE - 3 weeks in a row with a clean sheet in pass pro for the reliable vet

- TORRENCE - Surrendered one pressure to Wilkins .... but held up very well. 

- BROWN - There were several reps where Brown dominated 43 Van Ginkel .Every time Van Ginkel tried the bull rush Brown got his hands inside, anchored and neutralized him. 

• It was not a clean day for Brown however. 
    • He misread a stunt in q1 causing a pressure on Josh. 
    • Van Ginkel beat him on a nice reverse spin move causing 17 to scramble
    • Van Ginkel also beat Brown via speed rush in q3

- DORSEY - Not much chipping or help from TEs in this one.. for the most part the O Line held its own without extra assistance. 

OL SUMMARY :  The left side of the line absolutely dominated the Fins all day. McGovern and Morse are playing at a Pro Bowl level right now. Torrence continues to be steady with only the occasional misstep. This was Brown's best game .. he flashed dominance on some reps for the first time this year. The stat sheet shows Van Ginkel getting 2 sacks.. however ( as you will see below in SIGNIFICANT PLAYS) neither of those sacks were on Brown. 

QB UNFORCED ERRORS:  Josh had 0 unforced errors by my count.  Based on my history of doing this kind of analysis when a qb has 5 or more unforced errors the chances of his team winning decrease materially.  

SIGNIFICANT PLAYS 

q1 - Cook whiffs on a blitz pickup.. Allen avoids and makes completion to Diggs

q1 -Brown misreads stunt but JA gets ball out quick to avoid pressure

q2 - 85 for Bills has nice wham block on DE .. Allen throws slant to Diggs. 

q2- Brown beaten on spin move by 43.. Allen scrambles throws TD to Diggs. 

q2 - Torrence beaten by 94 on outside shoulder.. Allen Sacked

q3 - Van Ginkel SACK ( coverage sack.. not on Brown)

q3 - Van Ginkel beats Brown on speed rush .. flushes Allen from pocket 

SUMMARY  -  The O Line consistently gave 17 time to throw today and Allen made the most of those opportunities. In the few times where the line gave up pressures or misread stunts.. Josh more often than not was nimble in the pocket .. hung in.. and still made excellent decisions and throws despite those pressures.  Zero unforced errors by Josh to my eye.. a real gem of a game from him. If Allen can maintain his pocket poise like he's done the last few weeks then the sky is the limit for this offense. I think Dorsey realized that Miami's DEs were subpar and he made the right call by not using TEs and RBs to chip like he did the previous few weeks. Spencer Brown will likely never have a clean game .. however.. if he can play this type of game vs the average DEs of the league he may have a shot at sticking at RT for a while. 

Edited by Bocephuz
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 27

• Bocephuz changed the title to O Line Pass Protect/ QB Unforced Error Review - All 22 - Week 4 Dolphins

I like these a lot. I hope you're able to keep doing them.

Do you feel like Brown is being targeted by opposing teams? If they perceive him to be the weakest link, they may try things to take advantage of him. If so, that means Brown is just naturally going to have a much tougher time and give up more pressures.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, MJS said:

I like these a lot. I hope you're able to keep doing them.

Do you feel like Brown is being targeted by opposing teams? If they perceive him to be the weakest link, they may try things to take advantage of him. If so, that means Brown is just naturally going to have a much tougher time and give up more pressures.

Good question.. 

Usually when a team targets a weak link .. they try to exploit the weakness by throwing stunts and delayed blitzes at the O Lineman who they are targeting to throw them off. Interestingly enough.. Brown and Torrence have been targeted by other teams with stunts and they have done an excellent job of identifying and coping with those stunts for the most part.

Where Brown seems to have been targeted is teams lining up their stud DEs on his side ( Bryce Huff, Crosby.. Sweat..). These stud DEs had much success attacking Spencer Brown on his outside shoulder with the speed rush.. the dip and dive move. Nothing fancy.. nothing exotic.. just putting their best rushers one on one with Brown has generally worked for other teams. 

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Bocephuz said:

Good question.. 

Usually when a team targets a weak link .. they try to exploit the weakness by throwing stunts and delayed blitzes at the O Lineman who they are targeting to throw them off. Interestingly enough.. Brown and Torrence have been targeted by other teams with stunts and they have done an excellent job of identifying and coping with those stunts for the most part.

Where Brown seems to have been targeted is teams lining up their stud DEs on his side ( Bryce Huff, Crosby.. Sweat..). These stud DEs had much success attacking Spencer Brown on his outside shoulder with the speed rush.. the dip and dive move. Nothing fancy.. nothing exotic.. just putting their best rushers one on one with Brown has generally worked for other teams. 

Man, it must suck to be the weakest link in football. You just get abused. Like the Bills targeting Kohou with Diggs.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

The OL has upgraded its personnel at guard.  Brown is healthier than last year.  Is that all, or does anyone think that a second year in Kromer's system is also yielding benefits?  Outside of the beach chair incident, the guy has a pretty good track record.  Could Dawkins, Morse, and Brown be better than last year because they know Kromer's system better?

Thanks OP... really appreciate your write-ups.

Morphology observation re OCT, all-22, end-zone view: in stance, I can't believe how friggin' wide he is, hip-to-hip!

Hell, he must have the stability of a goddam Saturn V on the pad: center of gravity perfectly above center of pressure, with a nice L/D ratio (that's, uhhh, rocket humor).

Hell, he's so wide I'm surprised there's physical space for him on the line.

//end sideways observation 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, msw2112 said:

The OL has upgraded its personnel at guard.  Brown is healthier than last year.  Is that all, or does anyone think that a second year in Kromer's system is also yielding benefits?  Outside of the beach chair incident, the guy has a pretty good track record.  Could Dawkins, Morse, and Brown be better than last year because they know Kromer's system better?

I'm sure that helps but having the big upgrade at both guard positions is the big reason IMO.  Despite all the Dion Dawkins off season stuff,

he is playing fast and tough.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

When Bills find a better RT he can become the backup lineman who also helps with runs as 6th lineman.

There's always going to be a weak link. If it isn't Brown, it will be someone else.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Brown is getting better every week and hasn’t been a liability. Bills stuck with him through his worst, they won’t dump him now that he’s ascending. 

Brown has given up at least 3 pressures in each game.. where the most his fellow linemen have given up is 2.. i would respectfully say that makes him a liability 

Ascending may also be a bit of a stretch. His improvement against fins more due to lesser competition ( Van 

Ginkel is no Maxx Crosby)

4 hours ago, Dukestreetking said:

Thanks OP... really appreciate your write-ups.

Morphology observation re OCT, all-22, end-zone view: in stance, I can't believe how friggin' wide he is, hip-to-hip!

Hell, he must have the stability of a goddam Saturn V on the pad: center of gravity perfectly above center of pressure, with a nice L/D ratio (that's, uhhh, rocket humor).

Hell, he's so wide I'm surprised there's physical space for him on the line.

//end sideways observation 

Cybo has much sand in the pants

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, Bocephuz said:

- DORSEY - Not much chipping or help from TEs in this one.. for the most part the O Line held its own without extra assistance. 

Don't doubt you Bo, but are you 100% sure on this?

I just happened to watch a Bills/Dolphins highlight reel from last weekend.

It only showed about 10-15 of the Bills offensive plays but on at least 5-6 of those snaps, Brown was getting significant help.

Does this reel just happen to show all the snaps where he was getting help from his TEs and Backs?

Miami Dolphins vs. Buffalo Bills Game Highlights | NFL 2023 Week 4

11 hours ago, Bocephuz said:

In the past i used to do lengthy in depth posts with gifs.. don't have time for that nowadays

I watched every passing snap to evaluate pass blocking performance as well as Josh Allen unforced errors committed (PASS BLOCKING ONLY EVALUATED.. did not evaluate running plays). 

UNFORCED ERROR  =  Allen has time to throw, WR is open and he misses throw.. or.. Allen makes poor unforced decision 

OLINEMAN BEATEN =  O lineman clearly loses his one on one matchup... or.. clearly misreads stunt/combo block

____

OLINEMAN BEATEN STATS

DAWKINS - 0

MCGOVERN - 0

MORSE - 0

TORRENCE - 1

BROWN - 3

-DAWKINS - Dion dominated all day. He was almost beaten once but rallied and pancaked the guy before he got to Josh

- MCGOVERN - Yet again... another clean sheet for McGovern. Rock solid HUGE upgrade over Saffold. 

- BROWN - There were several reps where Brown dominated 43 Van Ginkel .Every time Van Ginkel tried the bull rush Brown got his hands inside, anchored and neutralized him. 

OL SUMMARY :  The left side of the line absolutely dominated the Fins all day. McGovern and Morse are playing at a Pro Bowl level right now. Torrence continues to be steady with only the occasional misstep. This was Brown's best game .. he flashed dominance on some reps for the first time this year. The stat sheet shows Van Ginkel getting 2 sacks.. however ( as you will see below in SIGNIFICANT PLAYS) neither of those sacks were on Brown. 

QB UNFORCED ERRORS:  Josh had 0 unforced errors by my count.  Based on my history of doing this kind of analysis when a qb has 5 or more unforced errors the chances of his team winning decrease materially.  

SIGNIFICANT PLAYS 

SUMMARY  -  The O Line consistently gave 17 time to throw today and Allen made the most of those opportunities. In the few times where the line gave up pressures or misread stunts.. Josh more often than not was nimble in the pocket .. hung in.. and still made excellent decisions and throws despite those pressures.  Zero unforced errors by Josh to my eye.. a real gem of a game from him. If Allen can maintain his pocket poise like he's done the last few weeks then the sky is the limit for this offense. I think Dorsey realized that Miami's DEs were subpar and he made the right call by not using TEs and RBs to chip like he did the previous few weeks. Spencer Brown will likely never have a clean game .. however.. if he can play this type of game vs the average DEs of the league he may have a shot at sticking at RT for a while. 

Solid work. Did you form an impression of the run blocking? 

11 hours ago, Bocephuz said:

____

OLINEMAN BEATEN STATS

DAWKINS - 0

MCGOVERN - 0

MORSE - 0

TORRENCE - 1

BROWN - 3

SIGNIFICANT PLAYS 

Thanks for the breakdown. I really appreciate your analysis. I still find it difficult to force myself to watch line play.

5 hours ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Brown is getting better every week and hasn’t been a liability. Bills stuck with him through his worst, they won’t dump him now that he’s ascending. 

There's no question that Brown is a young player who's improved. I just wonder how much better he'll get.

Edited by Sierra Foothills

12 hours ago, Simon said:

Don't doubt you Bo, but are you 100% sure on this?

I just happened to watch a Bills/Dolphins highlight reel from last weekend.

It only showed about 10-15 of the Bills offensive plays but on at least 5-6 of those snaps, Brown was getting significant help.

Does this reel just happen to show all the snaps where he was getting help from his TEs and Backs?

Miami Dolphins vs. Buffalo Bills Game Highlights | NFL 2023 Week 4

Good catch.. they were indeed several real quick chip and releases from the TEs to help Spencer out. In previous weeks the TEs sustained their blocks a little longer but these were quick little chips. 

I didn't catch them because on most of those plays Josh got the ball out so quick I didn't notice 

12 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Solid work. Did you form an impression of the run blocking? 

Only focused on the pass plays.. not able to comment too much on the run blocking. 

12 hours ago, Sierra Foothills said:

Thanks for the breakdown. I really appreciate your analysis. I still find it difficult to force myself to watch line play.

There's no question that Brown is a young player who's improved. I just wonder how much better he'll get.

Watching O Line play is dull at first.. but now when I watch the game live .. I focus on one lineman pre snap ( usually Spencer Brown.. but sometimes Torrence or others) and don't even really look at Josh once ball is snapped. 9 times out of 10 .. if the lineman I'm watching holds his block.. the result of the play is a completion or positive. 

• Like (+1) 3

23 hours ago, Bocephuz said:

____

OLINEMAN BEATEN STATS

DAWKINS - 0

MCGOVERN - 0

MORSE - 0

TORRENCE - 1

BROWN - 3

SIGNIFICANT PLAYS 

There’s a lot of good footage of McGovern handling Javon Hargrave last season.   He’s pretty good at pass pro

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Bocephuz said:

Watching O Line play is dull at first.. but now when I watch the game live .. I focus on one lineman pre snap and don't even really look at Josh once ball is snapped

If you can draw your eyes out a shade more and try to watch the 3 interior lineman and the 2 DTs, it will give you a general idea of what the play is almost every time.

Then you can switch your focus to the point of attack and you'll pick up the max amount of key elements of the play in real time. It also helps that when they show a replay (which seems to be a diminishing event in favor of some stupid graphic or player photo/pose :censored:) that you'll be able to instantly focus on the spot you want to see because you already know what generally happened and where to look.

This has worked for me for years, although I admit there are some games where I'm emotionally involved enough that all this goes right out the window because I'm stomping around the living room, woofing and yelling bust his ass:blush:

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.