Josh Allen made some history with his 3 TDs

78thealltimegreat

Sorry having trouble posting the link from X  but 27-year old Josh Allen has 5 career games with 3 Pass TDs while completing at least 80% of his passes. That's the most before turning 30 in NFL history. 

I just don’t know what to say other than maybe it’s just the Jets that seem to have this O’s number as this same Raiders defense held the Broncos to 16 points in their home opener. 

• Like (+1) 5

9 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Sorry having trouble posting the link from X  but 27-year old Josh Allen has 5 career games with 3 Pass TDs while completing at least 80% of his passes. That's the most before turning 30 in NFL history. 

I just don’t know what to say other than maybe it’s just the Jets that seem to have this O’s number as this same Raiders defense held the Broncos to 16 points in their home opener. 

Their defensive line tends to give us problems.  They blow up our running plays periodically which puts us off schedule.  They sit in 2 deep zone and force you to take underneath timing throws, and allen was struggling with the chaos in front of him all game long.  Couldn't get into a rhythm for the entire game.  

Basically they line up and you SHOULD run, but we are incapable of doing it because of their defensive line.  I'd like to see us try a bit more under center and play action in the 2nd meeting.  Fewer draw plays and misdirection - get them committing to run fits and create some space in that 8-15 yard range behind the linebackers. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

20 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

If Super Bowls were solely on the QB Dan Marino would have like 10 of them. 

Disagree.  Dan Marino was a good thrower (almost as good as Alex Van Pelt in college) but there were large parts of the game he was terrible at so not a complete QB.  If fakes were terrible (used to watch from a bar Grevey's and there were calls every time he tried) and this resulted in his running backs getting demolished. Dan Marino would be a great QB if offense line was perfect and he could just wait for opening without pressure.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

12 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

If Josh played with the exact mentality, and patience that he did yesterday,  we hang 30 on the Jets.

This is true but also with a subtle change in the offense there has to be time for him and the offense to adjust.

now should he make risky throws no but I imagine it is going to take half the season or so for him and the offense to get used to playing this way.  In the long run it will pay off.  

The jets have a defense perfectly built to stop buffalo, the bills do not like to run and the jets can get a pass rush with 4 guys and drop 6 or 7 and stay in two deep.   They just have Buffalo's number.

This happens to teams/players all the time.  Peyton Manning would make the same constant mistakes vs new england for years in the post season so did brett favre  with Dallas in the playoffs.  

anyway, The bills lining up in 12 personnel, putting josh under center and handing off to the two bigger backs was great yesterday and I hope they continue it.  Sooner or later teams will have to stop playing two deep because they will now have to play physical and stop the run going in.  When that happens Allen is going to kill teams down the field.

meanwhile this week the bills offense will be tested again much like week 1.  The Commanders can get home with 4 or 5 and drop 6 or 7 all day if buffalo wants to throw the ball 45 times.

Edited by MikePJ76

7 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Disagree.  Dan Marino was a good thrower (almost as good as Alex Van Pelt in college) but there were large parts of the game he was terrible at so not a complete QB.  If fakes were terrible (used to watch from a bar Grevey's and there were calls every time he tried) and this resulted in his running backs getting demolished. Dan Marino would be a great QB if offense line was perfect and he could just wait for opening without pressure.

Only one QB beat the 85 Bears in their own stadium no less so I’ve always thought what if the Patriots hadn’t knocked them off in the AFC title game. 

27 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Only one QB beat the 85 Bears in their own stadium no less so I’ve always thought what if the Patriots hadn’t knocked them off in the AFC title game. 

They would have been rolled by a Bears team looking for revenge.  Don't get it twisted.  That one game was about the '72 team and their champagne-popping bull####.  The SB would have been an entirely different animal.

Marino was one of the greatest passers who ever lived.  As a quarterback?  I'd take 20 other guys off the top of my head before I took him.  He had no interest in the running game and his coach bent over backwards to accommodate him.  They drafted pass protectors, not run blockers.  It was the most one-dimensional team ever and that's why they never went anywhere.

• Agree 2

9 minutes ago, BRH said:

They would have been rolled by a Bears team looking for revenge.  Don't get it twisted.  That one game was about the '72 team and their champagne-popping bull####.  The SB would have been an entirely different animal.

Marino was one of the greatest passers who ever lived.  As a quarterback?  I'd take 20 other guys off the top of my head before I took him.  He had no interest in the running game and his coach bent over backwards to accommodate him.  They drafted pass protectors, not run blockers.  It was the most one-dimensional team ever and that's why they never went anywhere.

Especially in that era before all the rules to prevent contact on WRs. You had to have balance back then. 

58 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

LOL at the small print.  

And Grevey's, now there's a blast from the past.  They've been closed for what, a decade, more?  

28 minutes ago, BRH said:

Marino was a great regular season QB who got that deer-lost-in-the-headlights look in the playoffs except for 1984… then finally wake up and put up numbers in garbage time.

1 hour ago, BRH said:

Oh I don’t know about that The Bears had no answers for Duper and Clayton it sure as heck would not have been 46-10 

1 hour ago, warrior9 said:

You're probably REALLLY fun at parties.... full of positivity and excitement :) 

Yeah my whole life revolves around Josh Allen records. I literally think the majority of Bills fans only care about records & regular season accomplishments. Nothing beyond that matters anymore.  Talk about tempering your expectations so you don't get heartbroken.  

• Eyeroll 1

2 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

These aren't records.  They're just data trifectas that the media dredge out of the endless stats that are available.  

Tell that to the incessant group of posters who come up with these obscure records/ factoids/ whatever to make them feel better about Josh.  Allen is a phenom, there's no denying that. But the only record I want to see is the number 1.  The Bills first Lombardi.  All the rest of this stuff is noise. At least yesterday he finally understood the value of listening to his coaches and we all saw how it paid off. Josh no doubt will put up countless Marino-like records. But if he wants a championship he must be smarter like Brady, Montana and Manning.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Yeah my whole life revolves around Josh Allen records. I literally think the majority of Bills fans only care about records & regular season accomplishments. Nothing beyond that matters anymore.  Talk about tempering your expectations so you don't get heartbroken.  

Oh yeah, SUPER fun at parties. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, BRH said:

To the bolded, yes Don Shula seemed to let Marino walk all over him. This is really strange considering that Shula was considered the Lombardi of his era, hard nosed, strong-willed, etc.

Little-known fact, in Shula's first 2 Super Bowl wins as Head Coach, Bob Griese threw the ball a total of 18 times... total... in 2 games.

Fast forward to Dan Marino and suddenly they're throwing the ball 30 times a game with the same coach.

3 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

These aren't records.  They're just data trifectas that the media dredge out of the endless stats that are available.  

It begs the question of how meaningful these data clusters are and what if anything they say about the player.

7 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

I think it was an anomaly they were amped up to play the Bills

crapped the bed in New Jersey last year because Josh hurt himself 

Josh puked on himself this year - sucks but I think he learned his lesson so let’s hope he follows the game plans here on out and listens becuase I’m convinced after all 22s last week Dorsey had a winner going and Josh decided he didn’t want to listen 

2 hours ago, Sierra Foothills said:

It begs the question of how meaningful these data clusters are and what if anything they say about the player.

I think they're used to make it sound like the guy is more talented than he probably is.   "He's one of only three players in the history of the game who had 450 yards passing, 3 passing touchdowns and 1 rushing touchdown in the first two games of consecutive seasons.  The other two were John Elway and Aaron Rodgers."   

First, so what?

And second, by changing the variables, you get a completely different list:   "He's one of only three players to have i425 yards passing, 2 passing touchdowns and 2 rushing touchdowns in each of his first two games of consecutive seasons:  The other two are Tyrod Taylor and Elvis Grbac."  So, they tell you the first one, because they want you to think that his greatness matches Elway and Rodgers, and they don't want you to think he's Taylor and Grbac.  

By the way, I completely made up the examples, but it demonstrates why this "analysis" based on what are merely statistical coincidences.  

2 hours ago, Drew21PA said:

sucks but I think he learned his lesson so let’s hope he follows the game plans here on out and listens becuase I’m convinced after all 22s last week Dorsey had a winner going and Josh decided he didn’t want to listen 

Very interesting point about last week.  By Friday, I'd reached the conclusion that that loss was essentially all on Allen.  He simply did not do his job.  Defense was more than good enough.

Whether he's learned his lesson, we'll think.   I think it's in his nature to play a bit out of control; in high school, junior college, and college, that was always the most likely way his team was going to win, because he had physical skills that were just better than the competition he faced.   He's leaned to play that way.  It's a habit.   It's not so much learning the lesson as it is changing his habit.  Most people don't just quit smoking one day and not be at risk of going back.  

I think what Josh has to do is build on the Raider game next week, and do it again - that is, be mindful of those decision-making habits.  Then do it again the following week, and the week after that.  As playing that way becomes a habit, he'll see that his team has more success when he plays that way. 

That habit really is the threshold he has to get across, because when playing like that - making the right decisions, play after play, allows the QB to prepare better, week to week, to learn more, because you can see that your body is good enough to deliver exactly the play that is intended.    That's the kind of thinking about the game that allows the QB to develop true excellence, like Peyton, Brady, Rodgers.  The objective is to make the right decision EVERY time, because that's what makes your superior physical skills truly valuable. 

• Agree 2

10 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

He’s an erratic, panicky QB who at best can we a game for you occasionally. At worst he loses games single handedly. The Bills should trade him while his stock is up and draft next year. There is a good crop of college QBs expecting to declare next year. Might be the time. 

jk

30 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I think they're used to make it sound like the guy is more talented than he probably is.   "He's one of only three players in the history of the game who had 450 yards passing, 3 passing touchdowns and 1 rushing touchdown in the first two games of consecutive seasons.  The other two were John Elway and Aaron Rodgers."   

First, so what?

And second, by changing the variables, you get a completely different list:   "He's one of only three players to have i425 yards passing, 2 passing touchdowns and 2 rushing touchdowns in each of his first two games of consecutive seasons:  The other two are Tyrod Taylor and Elvis Grbac."  So, they tell you the first one, because they want you to think that his greatness matches Elway and Rodgers, and they don't want you to think he's Taylor and Grbac.  

By the way, I completely made up the examples, but it demonstrates why this "analysis" based on what are merely statistical coincidences.  

Shaw what’s wrong with Grback???

7 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Tell that to the incessant group of posters who come up with these obscure records/ factoids/ whatever to make them feel better about Josh.  Allen is a phenom, there's no denying that. But the only record I want to see is the number 1.  The Bills first Lombardi.  All the rest of this stuff is noise. At least yesterday he finally understood the value of listening to his coaches and we all saw how it paid off. Josh no doubt will put up countless Marino-like records. But if he wants a championship he must be smarter like Brady, Montana and Manning.

If he wants a championship he should leave Buffalo 

42 minutes ago, AlfaBill said:

He’s an erratic, panicky QB who at best can we a game for you occasionally. At worst he loses games single handedly. The Bills should trade him while his stock is up and draft next year. There is a good crop of college QBs expecting to declare next year. Might be the time. 

jk

Shaw what’s wrong with Grback???

You’ve hated him since draft night so I’m not really surprised by you saying this being that he’s 37-12 as a starter shows he wins more then the occasional game but hey you do you.

Edited by 78thealltimegreat

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

First, so what?

I appreciate your reply and understand your point but these data clusters (unless they're negative ones) never seem to bring up the names of ordinary players. They always seem to put the subject in good company. Maybe I'm wrong but I don't remember any exceptions to this.

8 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

If he wants a championship he should leave Buffalo 

You’ve hated him since draft night so I’m not really surprised by you saying this being that he’s 37-12 as a starter shows he wins more then the occasional game but hey you do you.

What? I LOVE Josh. It was a joke post see the jk at the bottom. You must have me confused with Alphadog maybe?

I consider myself fortunate to be in my seventh decade and as a Bills fan, still be alive to witness some of the greatest young QB stars in NFL history.

To whit…

I like to track the young star QBs as they move up the Career Ladder towards the GOAT who is, of course, #1 in both Passing TDs and Yards

Mahomes, Allen & Burrow will likely be in the Top 5 -10 with 5-10 above average years and no significant injuries.

PASSING YARDS

# 1 BRADY = 89,219

# 9 Rodgers = 59, 055

# 11 Stafford = 52, 723

# 27 Captain Kirk = 37,848

#31 Carr = 35, 527

# 72 Goff = 26, 530

# 77 Prescott = 25, 341

# 82 Mahomes = 24,772

#122 Allen = 18,907

# 178 Burrow = 12,078

TDs

# 1 BRADY = 649

# 5 Rodgers = 475

# 12 Stafford = 334

#21 Cousins = 258

#38 Carr = 218

#52 Mahomes = 196

#76 Prescott = 168

#86 Goff = 159

# 100 Allen = 142

# 167 Burrow = 84

PLAYOFF PASSING YARDS

#1 BRADY = 13,400

# 4 Rodgers = 5894

# 10 Mahomes = 4084

#27 Allen = 2334

# 33 Stafford = 2096

#39 Burrow = 1826

PLAYOFF TDs

# 1 BRADY = 86

# 2 Rodgers = 45

# 8 Mahomes = 35

# 25 Allen = 17

# 33 Stafford = 13

# 39 Prescott = 11

2 minutes ago, Sierra Foothills said:

I appreciate your reply and understand your point but these data clusters (unless they're negative ones) never seem to bring up the names of ordinary players. They always seem to put the subject in good company. Maybe I'm wrong but I don't remember any exceptions to this.

That's exactly the point.  There are data clusters that exist with players who are not particularly good company.  It depends where you set the thresholds.   300 yards and 3 TDs might give a completely different list with 325 yards and 2 TDs.   One list makes the data cluster seem like it's a measure of greatness, but the other data cluster would make you think that the cluster is unimportant. 

In a sense, the passer rating is a different kind of data cluster, one where someone has predetermined the relative importance of various data points.   The identity of the top-rated passer depends oh that relative importance.  Change the weighting of different data, you get different top-rated guys.   We can trust the passer rating, at least to some extent, because there is a correlation between the highest ratings and the guys we think of as the best passers.  

In my example, I'd gladly have a QB do either combination, but the names on the list likely are different, so it means that the clusters don't really correlate with what we're trying to measure, which is excellent quarterbacking.  

The data guys at the networks just mine the data to find clusters that have the right names, and we think the cluster represents something important because we recognize the names.  If they were permitted to do it, they'd adjust the passer rating criteria to get names they like, too.  

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.