Josh Allen made some history with his 3 TDs

78thealltimegreat

12 hours ago, MikePJ76 said:

This is true but also with a subtle change in the offense there has to be time for him and the offense to adjust.

now should he make risky throws no but I imagine it is going to take half the season or so for him and the offense to get used to playing this way.  In the long run it will pay off.  

The jets have a defense perfectly built to stop buffalo, the bills do not like to run and the jets can get a pass rush with 4 guys and drop 6 or 7 and stay in two deep.   They just have Buffalo's number.

This happens to teams/players all the time.  Peyton Manning would make the same constant mistakes vs new england for years in the post season so did brett favre  with Dallas in the playoffs.  

anyway, The bills lining up in 12 personnel, putting josh under center and handing off to the two bigger backs was great yesterday and I hope they continue it.  Sooner or later teams will have to stop playing two deep because they will now have to play physical and stop the run going in.  When that happens Allen is going to kill teams down the field.

meanwhile this week the bills offense will be tested again much like week 1.  The Commanders can get home with 4 or 5 and drop 6 or 7 all day if buffalo wants to throw the ball 45 times.

One would almost think the Jets built their defense to stop the best team in their division hmm...

They were pretty strategic on the defensive side building their roster, but a patient quick-passing game will beat them, and their QB who is not 40 years old and out with a bum Achilles, is not immune to turning the ball over.

Dallas gave teams the blue print for dissecting their defense and blowing up their offense.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Defense was more than good enough.

This is one thing I'll disagree with you on. The defense absolutely could have been better. Not that anyone is primarily blaming them for the loss, but 16 points against a backup QB with a poor OL is not a "more than good enough" performance. The Chiefs defense this weekend held the vaunted Jags offense to just 3 FGs, 0 TDs, in a game where the Chiefs offense and special teams put the defense in some bad situations.

I guess I just don't agree with this idea that if the defense lets up less than 20 points they are automatically excused from any and all blame. Wouldn't it be nice if when Allen had a bad day, some other part of the team found a way to overcome it? I can't remember the last time that happened.

• Agree 1

22 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Sorry having trouble posting the link from X  but 27-year old Josh Allen has 5 career games with 3 Pass TDs while completing at least 80% of his passes. That's the most before turning 30 in NFL history. 

I just don’t know what to say other than maybe it’s just the Jets that seem to have this O’s number as this same Raiders defense held the Broncos to 16 points in their home opener. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, HappyDays said:

This is one thing I'll disagree with you on. The defense absolutely could have been better. Not that anyone is primarily blaming them for the loss, but 16 points against a backup QB with a poor OL is not a "more than good enough" performance. The Chiefs defense this weekend held the vaunted Jags offense to just 3 FGs, 0 TDs, in a game where the Chiefs offense and special teams put the defense in some bad situations.

I guess I just don't agree with this idea that if the defense lets up less than 20 points they are automatically excused from any and all blame. Wouldn't it be nice if when Allen had a bad day, some other part of the team found a way to overcome it? I can't remember the last time that happened.

I get your point, and I'm pretty sure you got mine.  I wasn't excusing the defense; I was just saying that if I'm looking for a primary cause for the loss, I'll lay it on Allen.   

Yes, absolutely, you want everyone on the team to do whatever they can to win the game, and when the team loses, everyone can look at plays they should have made and didn't.  But generally, and as you say, I think when your defense gives up less than 20 you should win and when your offense scores more than 30, you should win.  In the first case, it's probably the offense at fault, in the second, it's probably the defense.  

The Bills gave up 17.9 points per game last season.  I don't recall how many, if any, points the offense and special teams gave up.  If you call it 14 points, that means the defense gave up around 16.9 points per game.  17.9 was second in the league.   If the defense is the same caliber this year, that means against the Jets, the Bills defense had an average performance, because they gave up 16.  

So, you can look at it two ways.   Yes, the players and the coaches expect themselves to be above average all of the time, which is an oxymoron, because if they're always above average, the average changes.   On the other hand, average last season was good enough to win 13 games, so average is in fact "more than good enough" to have won the Jets game.  

You're right about the Chiefs.  It's complementary football - it's a team game, and on the best teams, some players and units are picking up the slack for some others, so that bad performances still turn into wins.   The Jets game was easily winnable, even with the offensive performance.  In fact, the offensive performance was somewhat expected because the Jets defense is so good.   Still, the defense gave one touchdown drive of 56 yards.  They gave up 289 total yards, nearly 30 yards better than their average last season.   It was more than good enough to win.  

Edited by Shaw66
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I agree 100%.  This is how I've been thinking about what playing great defense means ever since that perfect weather day in Rich Stadium in the 1991 AFC championship game against Denver in which our O loaded with future HOF layers could only manage 3 points.  The defense won that game and put us in the SB.

Allen didn't just have a "bad day" though. I don't totally absolve the defense. They gave up their biggest play of the night from not being aligned right. You can't defend that. But the idea that Allen just had a bad day that should have been overcome.... not in that game. He sunk the Bills. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Allen didn’t just have a bad day. 

the Chiefs defense only gets the credit you’re giving them because Mahomes still mustered 300 yards and 2 TDs to one pick. If Allen had that vs the Jets, it would’ve been a blowout. Meanwhile, if Mahomes melted down and had 4 TO’s, they would’ve lost to the Jags.

• Agree 2

On 9/18/2023 at 1:11 PM, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

Well he just eclispsed the Top 100 All-Time in career Passing TDs with 142 TDs  sitting alone at 100.

That’s an incredible stat considering how early he is in his career. If Allen can play until his late 30s I am sure he will will break into the top 10 if he can average about 35 passing TDs a year. This not even taking into account all his rushing TDs. 

On 9/19/2023 at 12:18 AM, HappyDays said:

Dude, if your offense can’t muster up 17 points in the modern NFL then it is on them. The defense came through numerous times only for Allen & company to squander it. No other part of the team has won the games other than Allen? While frustrating at times in big games, Buffalo’s #2 defense held their opponents under 13 points six times last season. I expect them to be even better this year. 

Edited by ChronicAndKnuckles
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.