Elam a healthy scratch part deux (now part TRES) (now part QUATRO)

FireChans

18 hours ago, Virgil said:

If Elam doesn't dress for this game, and I'm not saying he should, I think it's fair to ask McD and Beane what that plan is going forward.  Hill is the reason we drafted Elam.

Sorry, but Hill is not the reason we drafted Elam. We drafted Elam because Tre White was coming off an ACL and our other starter, Levi Wallace, left.

• Agree 3

45 minutes ago, Beast said:

Sorry, but Hill is not the reason we drafted Elam. We drafted Elam because Tre White was coming off an ACL and our other starter, Levi Wallace, left.

Yes and no.  We moved on from Wallace because of his lack of speed.  Elam was targeted over other DBs because of his speed.  

It’s a little of both and McD said as much on draft night 

• Agree 1

19 hours ago, Virgil said:

If Elam doesn't dress for this game, and I'm not saying he should, I think it's fair to ask McD and Beane what that plan is going forward.  Hill is the reason we drafted Elam.

This delusion that Elam is our super secret weapon against the Dolphins will die this weekend. 

The mental gymnastics required to believe that Elam is good enough to cover the best WR in football but not good enough to put on pads every other week is ABSURD.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 5

20 hours ago, Virgil said:

No it wasn't.  On Sunday around 11:30am est, you will realize that.

It's simple, Benford is playing better within their scheme and Dane is a reliable #3 outside corner/better Special team value on gameday.

Who is coming off the field vs Miami, in favor of Elam?  Benford?

If we're fortunate to go through the season without a corner injury, we will be lucky.  Elam will dress when that time arises and be counted on to be ready.  

Until then, it shouldn't shock anyone he is sitting as our #4 given what played out in training camp/preseason action.  And we aren't going to dress a 4th corner who provides limited S/T value and would just ride the bench

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Virgil said:

Yes and no.  We moved on from Wallace because of his lack of speed.  Elam was targeted over other DBs because of his speed.  

We offered Levi a contract, so I wouldn't say "we moved on".  Levi moved on/picked to sign with the Steelers.

Elam was targeted because he was graded as their best remaining corner, and we had a "need" for a starter opposite Dane.  Part of that was Elams speed, but there were faster DBs available to draft if that was the primary reason.

Then enter Benford, who outperformed his draft status.  Elam underperformed, and Dane re-signed on a cheap contract...and here we are.  

Benford, and our entire secondary, will face their greatest test to-date this weekend.  But performance has been very good so far.  So it's not like Benford is looking like a fringe starter, as of now, he grabbed his role and been consistently playing well.

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Put this kid on the field. He is the fastest and most physical CB on the team....both are needed against Hill

pepsi GIF

I want a bit of whatever you're having. he's a healthy scratch through three games but he's what we need against Hill?

K

3 hours ago, Virgil said:

Is this enough to lead you to believe that McDermott has more say in the draft than Beane? I have thought that this was the case from day 1.

I wonder how much of the Benford playing better than Elam situation comes down to scheme, and how much comes down to individual talent.  

If it's more scheme than talent, then that's a knock on the coach/scheme.  If it's more talent than scheme, then that's a knock on the scouting department/GM.

I tend to lean towards the former, and I wouldn't be surprised to see Elam become a starter in another scheme if given that opportunity.

Edited by Capco
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, Capco said:

Can someone explain why some players can "play special teams" and some others (usually starter-caliber guys) cannot?  I never understood why its such an exclusive skillset.  

You would think with Elam’s skillset, strong hands, speed, flexibility, and agility he’d be an ideal coverage or return guy. Hell his athleticism is so good I’m surprised they can’t get some offensive production from him. Wasting his talent not having him play ST, and dressing as a backup. The facts are Dorian Williams and Elam are the two youngest guys on the team born May/June 2001. Clearly the expectation is these guys get significant PT, whether through injury or the roster aging out. It really speaks to the depth of the roster.

• Agree 2

12 minutes ago, Capco said:

Can someone explain why some players can "play special teams" and some others (usually starter-caliber guys) cannot?  I never understood why its such an exclusive skillset.  

Mindset and willingness. 

I’d liken it to playing D in basketball.

Mind you, this could be totally untrue. 

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.