THE ROCKPILE REVIEW - Ain’t No Stoppin’ Us Now

Shaw66

7 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

But Chaos says all the evidence from last year says they won't be good enough.  Did you watch a different season than he did?

Not at all what I said.  I said until they actually advance further than the Chiefs and Bengals in the post season, they are not ahead of them.  I never said that could not happen. 

17 hours ago, Chaos said:

Any reasonable analysis puts them behind the Chiefs and Bengals now. If Chiefs and Bengals go further than the Bills in the playoffs this season, then any analysis would put the Bills behind them.  And those are good teams.  

Well, SOMEONE isn’t being reasonable. Using “ifs” to support your lame futuristic claim? We were 1-1 vs them last year. Consider yourself encouraged to find another reasonable team to cheer for..

Great post, Shaw!

• Thank you (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

I don't know that you're right, that any reasonable analysis puts them behind the Chiefs and Bengals.  I agree, looking backward, they definitely were third.   Looking forward, I think one could reach a different conclusion.  

They might have been complacent last season, but my point is that I don't see them being complacent this season.  I think they ache to win this season, and the ache will be there all season.  Salonpas won't work; there's only one cure for that ache. 

Well, they looked pretty damn complacent against the Steelers a few weeks ago.  Thanks for your great thoughts, I want them to be right. 

I like reading how Josh Allen is going to be more hands-on about everything with the offense this year.  I like that McDermott is running the D and already shows signs of more aggressive play calling and blitzing to pressure the QB.

I'm most concerned about this O-line being able to be dominant enough against the teams that matter.  Torrence is a Godsend, but if Dawkin's play falls off it's going to be a problem come playoffs.

I'm secondly concerned with this D-line becoming a dominant force against the best teams.  We couldn't even handle Cinci's patched up O-line last year.  We've spent far too much money and draft picks for them not to shoulder more of the load this year.  Especially with our MLB situation. 

Looking forward to seeing how they look Monday.  Great test against the Jets. 

Go Bills!

I'm still a bit skeptical overall....O-line, coaching decisions but I agree that the Bills should have more of a chip on their shoulder and play with an edge.  I do think they read a little too much into their preseason hype last year.  But tomorrow it all begins and we will find out soon enough what we are looking at this season.  Go Bills!

3 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Well, SOMEONE isn’t being reasonable. Using “ifs” to support your lame futuristic claim? We were 1-1 vs them last year. Consider yourself encouraged to find another reasonable team to cheer for..

Great post, Shaw!

You don't seem to understand the discussion. That is ok. I will summarize again:

1) There is no recent correlation to the Bills finishing ahead of the Bengals in the regular season, and actually finishing ahead of them in the post season.  So beting ahead of them in the regular season this year is not a reasonable argument that they will finish ahead of them in the post season. 

2) Until the post season happens, there is no way to know if the Bills have figured out how to translate the regular season success to finish ahead of the Chiefs/Bengals (with the exception if one or more of these three teams fails to makes the playoffs. Then we would know before the playoffs)

3) At no point do I claim the Bills cannot or will not finish ahead of them in the post season.  Just saying there is no reasonable way to use the regular season results to conclude that will happen ahead of it actually happening.

I hope this clears things up for you. 

No requirement to agree with me. But your previous post indicates, you dont even know what you are disagreeing with. 

Edited by Chaos
  • Haha (+1) 1

I don’t have the same confidence of last year. And maybe, that’s because of braggadocio. The Bills were humiliated at year’s end in 2022 and the most inept head coaching in NFL history prevented a SB in 2021.

Still, I have quiet confidence of moving forward and most certainly agree, that KC & Cincinnati are rated ahead of the Bills and the likes of the Jests, Fish, Chargers, Jax & Baltimore- nipping at our heels. Of course, critical injuries play hugely in these closely matched teams- as KC found out Thursday night.

There is never any rest to lofty goals and the Bills face it immediately on Monday night. Could they, should they, go on an 8-0 opening run? Indeed. But, the proof is in the games.

Let’s GO!

28 minutes ago, Chaos said:

You don't seem to understand the discussion. That is ok. I will summarize again:

1) There is no recent correlation to the Bills finishing ahead of the Bengals in the regular season, and actually finishing ahead of them in the post season.  So beting ahead of them in the regular season this year is not a reasonable argument that they will finish ahead of them in the post season. 

2) Until the post season happens, there is no way to know if the Bills have figured out how to translate the regular season success to finish ahead of the Chiefs/Bengals (with the exception if one or more of these three teams fails to makes the playoffs. Then we would know before the playoffs)

3) At no point do I claim the Bills cannot or will not finish ahead of them in the post season.  Just saying there is no reasonable way to use the regular season results to conclude that will happen ahead of it actually happening.

I hope this clears things up for you. 

No requirement to agree with me. But your previous post indicates, you dont even know what you are disagreeing with. 

Yes, so for you, everything is provisional and awaits resolution when and if the Bills make the playoffs and succeed. Everyone knows that is the ultimate confirmation, but not everyone thinks you have to wait until January to suppose a possible narrative. I don't think practical reason equates to certitude. One could even take historical precedent of other teams eventually experiencing post-season success as a basis for prudential calculation. Regardless, Shaw's initial post was careful to acknowledge its limitations and the intuitive nature of its projection. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 9/10/2023 at 8:22 AM, GaryPinC said:

Well, they looked pretty damn complacent against the Steelers a few weeks ago.  Thanks for your great thoughts, I want them to be right. 

I like reading how Josh Allen is going to be more hands-on about everything with the offense this year.  I like that McDermott is running the D and already shows signs of more aggressive play calling and blitzing to pressure the QB.

I'm most concerned about this O-line being able to be dominant enough against the teams that matter.  Torrence is a Godsend, but if Dawkin's play falls off it's going to be a problem come playoffs.

I'm secondly concerned with this D-line becoming a dominant force against the best teams.  We couldn't even handle Cinci's patched up O-line last year.  We've spent far too much money and draft picks for them not to shoulder more of the load this year.  Especially with our MLB situation. 

Go Bills!

I agree about the lines.   

Watching the Cowboys' lines last night was eye-opening.  They were powerful on both sides of the ball.  The Bills haven't approached anything like that for a long time.  Torrence might help, but as you say, Dawkins (and Brown) needs to step up.  Defensive line has to be more dominant.  

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I agree about the lines.   

Watching the Cowboys' lines last night was eye-opening.  They were powerful on both sides of the ball.  The Bills haven't approached anything like that for a long time.  Torrence might help, but as you say, Dawkins (and Brown) needs to step up.  Defensive line has to be more dominant.  

Yesterday I watched the Browns D-line just utterly handle Cinci's O line and it brought back sour contrasting memories of our impotence in the playoff game.  We'll get our first look at things tonight.                         

14 minutes ago, GaryPinC said:

Yesterday I watched the Browns D-line just utterly handle Cinci's O line and it brought back sour contrasting memories of our impotence in the playoff game.  We'll get our first look at things tonight.                         

There's no Miller, and there are not a lot of new faces on the Dline, so it it's going to look different, it's going to be McDermott's doing.

2 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

There's no Miller, and there are not a lot of new faces on the Dline, so it it's going to look different, it's going to be McDermott's doing.

Definitely agree.  But I was never satisfied with how Frazier ran the D, hopefully we're smartly and notably more aggressive tonight.

• Agree 1

On 9/10/2023 at 5:22 AM, GaryPinC said:

Go Bills!

Agree....my top 2 concerns are the OL then DL.  Trenches win championships.

3 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Agree....my top 2 concerns are the OL then DL.  Trenches win championships.

OL -  has McGovern recovered ? Will Dawkins play like in 2020

DL - will Leonard make a difference.  Will Ford help the run game 

MLB - is Bernard up for the task of shutting down Cook and Hall 

RB - is Cook ready to be unleashed.  Will Harris be able to stay on the field 

WR - who is going to step into that #3 WR spot 

we will find out in 45 minutes.  Go Bills ! 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.