Officiating news...

eball

I was reading an article about the rules changes this season and one blurb near the end caught my eye...Jerome Boger retired.  I don't know about the rest of you, but I always thought he was a terrible referee, particularly in the realm of b.s. roughing the passer penalties.

Anyway, here is the article.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

25 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

I think the shortest list in the world would be NFL refs that fans don't think are terrible. The other would be NFL fan bases who don't think that the refs have it out for their team. Both lists would be a blank sheet of paper.

Funny and largely accurate.  I’m not a guy who blames officiating and I always roll my eyes at those who think refs or the league “have it out for them” but there is a very vocal contingent of such conspiracy theorists.

With Boger in particular, though, I often found myself shaking my head at his calls, even when they had nothing to do with the Bills.

One rule I didn't see addressed in this article (I didn't read it thoroughly as I've seen these before) is the "Instant Replay Reversal" rule.

"New for 2023, when an instant replay decision results in a reversal under 2:00, the play clock will be reset to :40 instead of :25; unless another rule requires otherwise, such as when there is also a :10 runoff, in which case the play clock will be reset to :30.

Additionally, inside 2:00, reversing from a ruling with a stopped clock to one with a running clock requires either a :10 second runoff or a charged team timeout."

That last part is interesting. I don't know a scenario where it would happen that a team trying to score gets reversal in their favor that requires a 10 second runoff and  could potentially make it worse. Like if they only have, say 15 seconds and no timeouts, they'd go from having maybe 3 shots to score, down to 1. 

4 minutes ago, Fleezoid said:

One rule I didn't see addressed in this article (I didn't read it thoroughly as I've seen these before) is the "Instant Replay Reversal" rule.

"New for 2023, when an instant replay decision results in a reversal under 2:00, the play clock will be reset to :40 instead of :25; unless another rule requires otherwise, such as when there is also a :10 runoff, in which case the play clock will be reset to :30.

Additionally, inside 2:00, reversing from a ruling with a stopped clock to one with a running clock requires either a :10 second runoff or a charged team timeout."

That last part is interesting. I don't know a scenario where it would happen that a team trying to score gets reversal in their favor that requires a 10 second runoff and  could potentially make it worse. Like if they only have, say 15 seconds and no timeouts, they'd go from having maybe 3 shots to score, down to 1. 

Great! I don’t know what a catch looks like, and now I don’t know how to tell time. 

• Haha (+1) 5

FYI:

From Warren Sharp newsletter today about the head official for Bills @ Jets Monday:

Carl Cheffers a veteran referee who calls a lot of penalties. Cheffers consistently ranks in the top 5 per season for penalties.

A Cheffers officiated game will exceed NFL average in penalties more often than not. The takeaway from his long term trends are that when the dust has settled the home team wins well above the NFL average.

Cheffers consistently ranks in the top 5 every season for overall penalties

Led NFL in 2021 with 14 penalties per game for 124 yds per game

Home teams 58-39-1 SU (60%) since 2016

Home teams 48-49-1 ATS since 2016

3rd most offensive holding penalties in 2021

Most unnecessary roughness penalties in 2021

2nd most defensive pass interference penalties in 2021

Led the NFL in calling offensive pass interference in 2021

9 minutes ago, Billsflyer12 said:

FYI:

From Warren Sharp newsletter today about the head official for Bills @ Jets Monday:

Carl Cheffers a veteran referee who calls a lot of penalties. Cheffers consistently ranks in the top 5 per season for penalties.

A Cheffers officiated game will exceed NFL average in penalties more often than not. The takeaway from his long term trends are that when the dust has settled the home team wins well above the NFL average.

Cheffers consistently ranks in the top 5 every season for overall penalties

Led NFL in 2021 with 14 penalties per game for 124 yds per game

Home teams 58-39-1 SU (60%) since 2016

Home teams 48-49-1 ATS since 2016

3rd most offensive holding penalties in 2021

Most unnecessary roughness penalties in 2021

2nd most defensive pass interference penalties in 2021

Led the NFL in calling offensive pass interference in 2021

Our of pocket so I couldn’t pull the data myself. But I see that the NFL home win% since the introduction of instant replay in 1999 is 56.9%. So 59.1% from Cheffers isn’t crazy. 

I would be curious of his yearly breakdown next to the league average. Home win % has been trending down for some time with a plummet during covid.

https://www.covers.com/nfl/home-field-advantage

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.