Sean Payton to Russell Wilson: "Focus less on 'Russell Inc' if you want to salvage your career"

Big Turk

5 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Wasn't there also some guy a few hours up the road from Parcells' former location who ran it all as head coach and GM and who won a couple or six Super Bowl rings?

(Nice to see people forgetting that!)

As long as they do not forget the cheating.  All records should have an asterisk (*) next to them. 

8 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Rypien was a decent game manager lifted by a spectacular team and Rypien was one of the two or three best QBs in the league

Which was he, a decent game manager or one of the best QB's in the league? He was a Dilfer/Wilson... game managers propped up by people around him. Sorry but Rypien was never one of the best QB's in the league. 😄

It’s good to see a HC not mince words with a player, especially a “star” QB, should happen more frequently, but who knows, maybe it does, 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, babulator said:

Which was he, a decent game manager or one of the best QB's in the league? He was a Dilfer/Wilson... game managers propped up by people around him. Sorry but Rypien was never one of the best QB's in the league. 😄

Rypien and Dilfer were not similar.

Rypien had a relatively short peak, but when he was at his peak he was very good. Dilfer was never good. He was just lucky to be the QB on a team with a great defense.

As for Wilson: he's also not in Rypien's class. He's far, far better. We are all Josh Allen fans. Wilson in his prime was an XS version of Josh Allen.

2014: 849 rushing yards. 2015: 68% completion percentage, 34 TD, 8 INT.

He was elite. 

Edited by The Frankish Reich
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, babulator said:

Don't be sorry, dude, not one bit. Plenty of wonderful people are dead wrong sometimes.

Rypien absolutely was one of the best in the league for a brief moment in time. The problem was that it was a very brief moment. His falloff was precipitous. Unexplainable till he recently started talking about his concussions and the serious symptoms they've brought for him.

In 1991, Rypien was elite. It wasn't even a question. The Washingtons thought they'd found their franchise guy for the next fifteen years. And he was never the same again.

It was only his fourth year of play. In his second year he'd looked really good, very promising, and  his third year was also pretty good but in his fourth year he broke through looking like an all-timer.

That year he was 4th in yards, with only three Hall of Famers ahead of him, Moon, Marino and Kelly. But that's the least of it. His passer rating was 2nd, behind only Hall of Famer Steve Young. He was 2nd in TDs behind only Kelly.

He threw for 28 TDs and 11 INTs, the highest TD/INT ratio in the league except for Steve Bono who did it mostly by taking almost no risks that year, throwing for 11 TDs and 4 INTs while throwing well over half as many attempts.  28/11 was terrific at the time, as that year only four guys went reached a 2/1 ratio, and of those four none of the other three threw more than 18 TDs (Kosher, 18/9) compared to Rypien's 28. Kelly didn't have a 2/1 ratio that year. Nor did Steve Young, Troy Airman, John Elway, Warren Moon, Phil Simms or Boomer.

And Rypien wasn't throwing all safety valves, either. He was second in YPA with 8.5, behind only Steve Young. That year, with Rypien throwing for 8.5, only Steve Young, Rypien and Kelly threw for over 7.6. Rypien was great at the deep ball, took risks and made them pay off.

He was absolutely terrific. 

And he never played anywhere near as well again.

Was the team good? Yeah, absolutely. But Rypien was playing at an elite level. 

As for Russell Wilson? He was vastly better than Dilfer. Vastly. He was generally top seven or eight in the league year after year.

Dilfer's first post-Ravens contract, signed just a month or two after the Super Bowl win, was for $8M over four years, $2M a year. Does Russell Wilson's contract look a bit like that? 

It does not, and the reason is the two of them were not comparable. When Dilfer signed that contract, Bledsoe was making $10M a year, Manning $7.7M/ yr and Mike Vick $10.3M /yr. Flute was making $5m /yr.  Jeff Garcia $4.75.M /yr. And the best Dilfer could get was $2M /yr.

Russell Wilson was very good for a lot of years, and his evasiveness and ability to escape for five or six seconds until his WRs got open used to not just drive pass rushers crazy but also drain their morale like somebody was siphoning it off.

That's why his contract looks just a bit different than Dilfer's did.

Edited by Thurman#1

Wow, Payton has come out guns blazing for everyone this offseason!  I always thought he was kind of a tool, but I like what he has been doing---sayiing stuff everyone won't say but obviously sees. 

He's right on all counts so far.  It's refreshing---certainly beats "110%", "it's a team effort", "1/11th" coaching BS everyone else serves up.

2 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Rypien and Dilfer were not similar.

Rypien had a relatively short peak, but when he was at his peak he was very good. Dilfer was never good. He was just lucky to be the QB on a team with a great defense.

As for Wilson: he's also not in Rypien's class. He's far, far better. We are all Josh Allen fans. Wilson in his prime was an XS version of Josh Allen.

2014: 849 rushing yards. 2015: 68% completion percentage, 34 TD, 8 INT.

He was elite. 

Ravens front office seemed to have the same opinion of Dilfer but when they replaced him with Elvis Grbac who clearly they thought was better the Ravens and who flopped with them.  Dilfer did not get enough credit for that season and games he helped win.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/trent-dilfer-still-bitter-that-ravens-chose-elvis-grbac-over-him

Twenty years ago today, Trent Dilfer and the Ravens won Super Bowl XXXV. Dilfer was, frankly, possibly the worst quarterback ever to win a Super Bowl, and the Ravens were led by a dominant defense. So it wasn’t a big surprise after the season when the Ravens let Dilfer walk in free agency and signed Elvis Grbac to replace him.

But that move turned out to be a flop: Grbac had the worst season of his career and was cut by the Ravens after one year. And all these years later, Dilfer is still bitter about it, saying his struggles during the Super Bowl season were the result of playing through an injury, and the Ravens showed no appreciation for him putting his body on the line for the team.

“You know, I’ve been through a lot in my life and I try not to be bitter about anything,” Dilfer told ESPN. “I’d say that’s one I’m still harboring a little bit of bitterness because of the why. It was so poorly evaluated on their behalf. They knew I was hurt.”

Dilfer said Grbac was lacking in the kind of toughness the Ravens needed, and then-coach Brian Billick should have realized Grbac was wrong for the team.

“I’ll take a shot at Elvis because it doesn’t bother me at all,” Dilfer said. “The core value of that team was toughness. And Brian didn’t realize that. It wasn’t their coaching. It wasn’t their talent evaluation. It wasn’t all the things that they think it was. The core value of that team was mental and physical toughness, and that’s who I am and that’s the opposite of who Elvis is. They set their identity back light years by getting it wrong.”

3 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Don't be sorry, dude, not one bit. Plenty of wonderful people are dead wrong sometimes.

Rypien absolutely was one of the best in the league for a brief moment in time. The problem was that it was a very brief moment. His falloff was precipitous.

I could do without the sarcasm, but one good season does not make you one of the best, period. He had better than a 90% QB rating once. He had one good season, your position is absurd. Writing a novella about it doesn't change that fact. I've never heard this argument once in 40 plus years of following football. A quick glance of QB's during this era should bring you back to reality.

Let's see who was active during his playing time:

Montana, Young, Elway, Moon, Favre, Aikman, Marino, Kelly, Simms, Cunningham, George, Boomer, Warner...

Honestly, I can't bear to go on, but you have Rypien as one of your best!

2 minutes ago, babulator said:

I could do without the sarcasm, but one good season does not make you one of the best, period. He had better than a 90% QB rating once. He had one good season, your position is absurd. Writing a novella about it doesn't change that fact. I've never heard this argument once in 40 plus years of following football. A quick glance of QB's during this era should bring you back to reality.

Let's see who was active during his playing time:

Montana, Young, Elway, Moon, Favre, Aikman, Marino, Kelly, Simms, Cunningham, George, Boomer, Warner...

Honestly, I can't bear to go on, but you have Rypien as one of your best!

I would take out Jeff George and replace him with Bernie Kosar. Brett Farve's breakout came in 1993 and Drew Bledsoe led the league in passing in 1994. So yeah, there were a lot of good QB's in the early to mid 90's.

• Like (+1) 1

Wilson has gone the deep end, and IDK why. But I'll disagree that he was just average. I recall him having the lowest paid - by far! - OL in the league "protecting" him in Seattle, running for his life on so many plays, yet still getting the job done. Anyway, the Broncos are in the AFC, so they can tank all they want, except when they play against Bills adversaries for the playoff spots.

Edited by Jerome007

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.