Running back predictions

Drew21PA

So I’m torn here for the bills running backs backfield

i love James Cook

but dang I love the hard nosed running style of Damien Harris I saw against the bears!

A part of me feels that it’s cooks job to lose - and I hope he doesn’t - but I also feel, if healthy (big if and I know) Harris could be a monster for us late in games and get a ton of yards that will need to be earned because of a lackluster line 

I did like that I saw some work on the screen game to cook - and wheel routes being utilized - that’s where I feel he’s going to be dangerous in getting him in the open field 

but straight ahead rush?  Give me harris

An educated guess before we’ve played any games..

Cook is RB1 and the main option until we get around the opponents 5 yard line.  Provided he can be adequate in pass pro, he could become a breakout 3-down player with a healthy YPC and more usage in the passing game as we hammer home more easy button plays for Allen.  (Whether Allen can consistently force himself to push those buttons is anyone’s guess)

Harris spells Cook and is our goal line back. 

Murray is Harris insurance. 

22 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Not sure why this is even an issue before a single down has been played. This seems like a thread for after we cannot run the ball with any success….again. Please save this for a week from Tuesday. 😉

Agreed..and the Bills RB is going to face a very stout front seven in the Jets.  Running the ball against them will be tough.  

• Agree 1

Bills have to replace Singletary 's 177 carries.

Harris and Murray could inherit that load. 

Cut Josh's 124 in half and give 62 carries to Cook,for a total of 151. Cook should also see a lot of passing targets.

I prefer to see the backs take on more of the running attempts to protect Josh. I dont see anybody gaining 1,000 yards in this offense  but think they are better able to run when they have to.

7 minutes ago, Herb Nightly said:

Bills have to replace Singletary 's 177 carries.

Harris and Murray could inherit that load. 

Cut Josh's 124 in half and give 62 carries to Cook,for a total of 151. Cook should also see a lot of passing targets.

I prefer to see the backs take on more of the running attempts to protect Josh. I dont see anybody gaining 1,000 yards in this offense  but think they are better able to run when they have to.

I wouldn’t be shocked to see cook at 1000 yards rushing and 3-400 receiving 

in fact, if healthy we are are only talking a 12 carry 2-3 catch per game workload to get there 

Edited by NoSaint
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

in fact, if healthy we are are only talking a 12 carry 2-3 catch per game workload to get there 

If the Bills can commit to a dink-and-dunk moving the chains approach then Cook will get 1000 yards running.   This is a exciting season with so many opportunities...Go Bills.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, ganesh said:

If the Bills can commit to a dink-and-dunk moving the chains approach then Cook will get 1000 yards running.   This is a exciting season with so many opportunities...Go Bills.

I don’t think that is even a commitment. My point was how far from a commitment 12 carries per game really is, and how easily he could get there in a 17 game season if healthy. 

53 minutes ago, ganesh said:

I think this is will be the case until the defense starts leaving one deep safety out there instead of two. Then Josh is going to take his deep shots.

Then there is the multitude of receivers that can play the slot and Kincaid.  The defense isn't going to be able to have 2 high safeties. One of them will start creeping up and then Josh will have them right where he wants them.

If the running backs are successful that's just gravy.

Edited by Rockinon

3 hours ago, Drew21PA said:

So I’m torn here for the bills running backs backfield

i love James Cook

but dang I love the hard nosed running style of Damien Harris I saw against the bears!

A part of me feels that it’s cooks job to lose - and I hope he doesn’t - but I also feel, if healthy (big if and I know) Harris could be a monster for us late in games and get a ton of yards that will need to be earned because of a lackluster line 

I did like that I saw some work on the screen game to cook - and wheel routes being utilized - that’s where I feel he’s going to be dangerous in getting him in the open field 

but straight ahead rush?  Give me harris

The problem is, we can’t overuse Damien Harris he’s to injury prone

Cook will be the main back. They will sprinkle in Damien Harris and Latavius Murray will be in the bullpen

1 hour ago, NoSaint said:

Perhaps ,but we cant assume he can stay healthy and handle a significant workload; never has been "the man" and I don't know if he can manage enough carries to reach 1,000 yards.

I can see him at 50 or 60 receptions so he doesn't have to gain all his yards on the ground. 

2 hours ago, mrags said:

I mean. It was 1 year that these 2 played together. it was Thomas’ rookie season and Riddicks last season. It’s not like it was a regular thing. 

I really think that’s gonna be the case this season.  Cook 80% of the touches outside the red zone and in qtrs 1-3.  Harris and Murray with the majority of the touches inside the 10 and in the 4th qtr with a lead

I see a 60/30/10 percent share between Cook, Harris and Murray. Injury could alter that, of course. So could if the Bills end up playing a lot of bad weather games. I think Cook dominates touches on a fast track with Harris and Murray contributing more in the snow or rain type games we keep finding ourselves in.

But I believe Cook will make it really hard to take him off the field. He showed some improvement in pass pro in the preseason and if that carries over he will be as close to a 3 down back as we have seen here since Shady. 

Edited by BuffaloBillyG
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.