Nattering nabobs of negativism

oldmanfan

3 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

So you say you have no idea what players do in the off-season, then proceed to discuss and criticize what Allen does in the off-season.  

I noted what Allen himself said he does and doesn’t do…  but fair point, I don’t ‘know’… maybe he was lying about not liking to over indulge on film or about not hitting the gym in the off-season, or about not following a diet. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

challenging homer myths isn’t inventing narratives. 

That is rich and comical coming from someone who seems to literally know almost nothing about Allen given you seem to think all he has done is just get his mechanics mapped one year

9 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

That is rich and comical coming from someone who seems to literally know almost nothing about Allen given you seem to think all he has done is just get his mechanics mapped one year

it’s beyond hilarious the uproar that it causes by literally reiterating what Josh says about Josh.. 😂 

Oldmanfan nailed it and it’s all a result of the severe anxiety Bills fan have that we won’t win the big one. BBFS has transformed into Buffalo Bills Severe Anxiety Syndrome.

Relevant criticism of the team is warranted and desired. Not addressing MLB, rolling the dice at RT with Brown (although both bets have since been hedged), any other moves that were made or not made are all open to discussion/criticism (Boogie over Humphrey, etc)

We can even criticize Josh as long as it’s based in reality. He needs to take what the D gives him, needs to get the ball out quicker, needs to take fewer hits, needs to take the shorter gimme throws, etc. What I don’t think is warranted is questioning his work ethic because you don’t become one of the top 3 QBs in the league after coming out if college considered the biggest project without having a phenomenal work ethic and he did that and then some. 

Last year Josh carried this team and had to do too much. Any other QB would have been out 6 weeks with that elbow injury but we just act like that’s normal to start every game with a partially torn UCL. If there was an offseason where this guy had to just let loose and get mentally ready to come back again this one was it. 

There’s no guarantee we are making the playoffs let alone the Super Bowl. I feel sorry for those of you who can’t enjoy the regular season and GREAT Buffalo Bills football because you are so all consumed with winning a Super Bowl that you can’t enjoy the ride. That’s pathetic honestly. And no, I’m not happy just winning the East and losing in the Divisional round. My parents have been season ticket holders since the AFL days and are now in their 80s. I need this team to win ONE before they go. So I get it. But I also get that there is so much luck involved that even if every single pundit chose Buffalo to win the SB we’d still have maybe only a 25% chance.

So many of you miserable f**ks are missing out on so many enjoyable moments because you are so afraid this team won’t win it all that it is ruining the great discourse we used to have on this board and I honestly feel sorry for you.

Edited by RunTheBall
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

33 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

I noted what Allen himself said he does and doesn’t do…  but fair point, I don’t ‘know’… maybe he was lying about not liking to over indulge on film or about not hitting the gym in the off-season, or about not following a diet.

15 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

it’s beyond hilarious the uproar that it causes by literally reiterating what Josh says about Josh.. 😂 

Let me just step away for a second from the question of whether you and others are accurately representing what "Josh says about Josh", which, to me, is still a very valid question given how I *know* a recent article on film got distorted.

Let's just go with some facts:

1) Josh was the #38 in the league last year in rush YPG.  Not of QB - that's all runners.  47.6 YPG.

2) Josh was #6 in the league last year in passing YPG, 267.7 YPG

That means he combines the contributions of a good RB with a top QB.  In addition, he is frequently observed to evade, stiff-arm, and outright truck defensive players.

Now I have a question:

How do you think he's doing that against defensive players who often show themselves dripping with sweat and pumping iron on social media, if he doesn't work out and build a good base of fitness (aerobic and strength) prior to the season?

I'll hang up and listen.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

It’s more hilarious when people want to argue about things they don’t know anything about.  Talking to you about Josh Allen is like talking to my son about Josh Allen.  

My son is 3 months old…and his babbling cooing is cuter 😂

• Haha (+1) 1

I’m

9 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Let me just step away for a second from the question of whether you and others are accurately representing what "Josh says about Josh", which, to me, is still a very valid question given how I *know* a recent article on film got distorted.

Let's just go with some facts:

1) Josh was the #38 in the league last year in rush YPG.  Not of QB - that's all runners.  47.6 YPG.

2) Josh was #6 in the league last year in passing YPG, 267.7 YPG

That means he combines the contributions of a good RB with a top QB.  In addition, he is frequently observed to evade, stiff-arm, and outright truck defensive players.

Now I have a question:

How do you think he's doing that against defensive players who often show themselves dripping with sweat and pumping iron on social media, if he doesn't work out and build a good base of fitness (aerobic and strength) prior to the season?

I'll hang up and listen.

He’s the one who said he doesn’t hit the gym or lift in the off-season… your beef is with him. He must have been lying in that interview with trailer boys too. 

2 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

It’s more hilarious when people want to argue about things they don’t know anything about.  Talking to you about Josh Allen is like talking to my son about Josh Allen.  

My son is 3 months old…and his babbling cooing is cuter 😂

And more to your level, at least for a few years 

11 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

I struggle to understand this fan base sometimes.  Many seem to actively search for ways to downplay the team’s fortunes and/or denigrate specific players, management and such.  Examples include:

1.  Ragging on for years on Edmunds, then as soon as he leaves in free agency ragging on Beane for not resigning or replacing him.

2.  Ragging on Beane for not having a veteran guy behind Brown at RT,  then ragging on him because the guy he got retired (as if Beane should be Nostradamus) then ragging on getting Ifedi as if we were going to get an All Pro.

There are many such examples.  But the last 24 hours or so have taken the cake, because who are we negative on now?  Josh Allen.  And why?  Mainly because of two articles from the gasbag known as Jason Whitlock, the first of which he said was a lie, then the second of which he claims Josh doesn’t work hard enough and it’s supposedly well known.  Throw in an interview with MacAfee where Josh specifically states he watches a lot of film but qualifies what he takes from it, and all of a sudden it’s Josh that is why the Bills haven’t won a Lombardi.  It’s Josh who drinks too much (one incident with Kyle Allen), Josh who doesn’t work out, Josh who doesn’t spend enough time on football in the off-season (put your TV on and measure in minutes how long till you see Mahomes in a commercial).  Or Josh impregnating waitresses, which no reputable news source has validated.

All this leads me to ask:  what the hell is wrong with some people around here?  I am not saying Josh can’t improve.  He needs to continue learning to take the short routes, get the ball out quicker, etc.  but to claim he is now somehow the problem, that it’s his work ethic, that as one person said here that they don’t like Josh personally  as if he actually has ever met the guy?  Come on.

I have thought for quite a long time there are folks on this board that really want the Bills to lose so they can somehow crow on a message board that they were right.  I think some of the stuff we’re seeing is some bizarre defense mechanism people throw up as a guard should the Bills not win it all.  

Me?  I’ve been a fan since 1960 when I was 5 years old.  I will do as I’ve always done, enter the season with optimism and then see how things go.  Offer praise when merited as well as criticism when merited.  But to actively seek out reasons for negativism, even to the point of believing nonsensical crap to do so?  I don’t get it.

Fortunately for most of us, Brandon Beane doesn't consider anything said on this forum as input to his decisions. I also am someone that doesn't enjoy reading the idiotic negative stuff (especially after a loss), but I realize that these comments come from a group that is a very small, but loud minority. The best thing for me has been to just add them to my ignore list as I have found very little value in most of their comments. Constructive criticism and suggestions are fine, but personally I hope Beane & McDermott continue to be the leaders of this team for a long long time

I've always seen negativity in sports as cautionary. It's just easier to not get your hopes up, even if that is warranted.  The disappointment if it doesn't pan out like you hope can hurt.

I've never cared about that, which I feel fortunate about..  I don't think it makes me better than anyone - I just don't care about it enough to try to "protect" myself. And I've had a lifetime of heartache & disappointment at this point.  But more often than not, I've started out September saying "this is definitely the year."  Including an embarrassing # of times during the drought.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Success said:

I've always seen negativity in sports as cautionary. It's just easier to not get your hopes up, even if that is warranted.  The disappointment if it doesn't pan out like you hope can hurt.

I've never cared about that, which I feel fortunate about..  I don't think it makes me better than anyone - I just don't care about it enough to try to "protect" myself. And I've had a lifetime of heartache & disappointment at this point.  But more often than not, I've started out September saying "this is definitely the year."  Including an embarrassing # of times during the drought.

I guess I just never got that. 

“Protecting yourself” from a sports team letting you down. We’re not talking protecting yourself from your girl cheating on you or something. It’s a freaking sports team. Why the heavy emotional blow? I thought we were men here. 

My sense has been that if it hurts THAT much, your life is out of balance (speaking in general, not to you). It should suck for one day then move on to next season. If it’s a terrible wound that requires “walls” and “pessimism” to fill, there’s something wrong with the person, not the organization. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

I’m

He’s the one who said he doesn’t hit the gym or lift in the off-season… your beef is with him. He must have been lying in that interview with trailer boys too. 

Could you please answer the question? 

How do you think he's putting up the rush yards AND passing yards (not to mention stiff arming and trucking) against defensive players who often show themselves dripping with sweat and pumping iron on social media, if he doesn't work out and build a good base of fitness (aerobic and strength) prior to the season?

Like I said, just step away for a second from the question of whether you and others are accurately representing what "Josh says about Josh", and just tell me how you makes sense of those little facts, if Josh does not train hard and work out?

Then we can move on to him being the active player with most consecutive starts.  It seems pretty well established that athletes who are ill conditioned or under-trained can be more prone to injury.  So how do you reconcile that?

Again, step away from what you think you heard Josh say, and just explain to me how it makes sense to you in light of these factual observations?

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

How do you think he's putting up the rush yards AND passing yards (not to mention stiff arming and trucking) against defensive players who often show themselves dripping with sweat and pumping iron on social media, if he doesn't work out and build a good base of fitness (aerobic and strength) prior to the season?

Like I said, just step away for a second from the question of whether you and others are accurately representing what "Josh says about Josh", and just tell me how you makes sense of those little facts, if Josh does not train hard and work out?

Then we can move on to him being the active player with most consecutive starts.  It seems pretty well established that athletes who are ill conditioned or under-trained can be more prone to injury.  So how do you reconcile that?

Again, step away from what you think you heard Josh say, and just explain to me how it makes sense to you in light of these factual observations?

I think the truth wrt Allen's work ethic and willingness and desire to do WHATEVER it takes to get better..........and whether what he thinks is best is even close to right........are things that we just don't have any clear answer about just yet.

So I don't find your highlighted argument particularly compelling either way.

Because you do realize that some great athletes can eat terribly and not workout much at all and be dominant on the field/court with what looks like a sloppy build........outperforming and recovering from injury faster than some workout warriors.

When they are young.

That field narrows significantly once they pass their physical peak around age 26.

I suspect that's why Marcell Dareus dropped off so fast..........he went from All Pro all-around superstar DT.....to still a one man rush defense.....to out of the league pretty quickly after he hit that peak.    I doubt he worked any differently when he was at the top of his game than when he was crapping out.

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I think the truth wrt Allen's work ethic and willingness and desire to do WHATEVER it takes to get better..........and whether what he thinks is best is even close to right........are things that we just don't have any clear answer about just yet.

So I don't find your highlighted argument particularly compelling either way.

It's not an argument, it's a question.

"Great athletes can eat terribly and not workout much at all and be dominant on the field/court... outperforming  and recovering from injury faster than some workout warriors."

OK - who are these athletes known to be in the modern era of professional sports (say, last 10-15 years)?

Edited by Beck Water

2 hours ago, Beck Water said:

Could you please answer the question? 

first of all what he said was he doesn’t train in the offseason- what he does at OBD was not part of discusIon. 

but I see where you’re going; based on the fact that he told the trailer boys he doesn’t train other than so throwing with Palmer in the off-season,  you’re thinking he’s just an athletic freak getting by on his talent. Not an original take, but possible… 

10 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

Not upset.  I just can’t understand the motivation

I think some people feel Josh could be the only reason we have a chance and also the reason it doesn’t happen. Similar to how some people feel that way about McDermott or Beane. They feel barriers between why we can be excellent but not good enough and they look at these topics as reasons why. When they express as much, they usually get reminded why they should be more grateful or more thankful.  Why they can’t be fans or why they’re nattering nabobs of negativism. In the end if this was about success and winning the 90’s would have been enough for most. It’s clearly not. It’s about a Super Bowl. The longer we remain excellent without accomplishing more, the more traction these topics get. Which seems fair, I think. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.