WGR speculating the Bills will make a trade

78thealltimegreat

2 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

An off the ball linebacker who doesn't get to the QB is not more important or harder to find than a DT.

We have seen DT's go #1 overall in the draft because they can wreck a game plan faster than anyone.

What about DTs that don't get to the QB? Are they harder to find?

1 minute ago, boyst said:

Your take is wrong. Oliver is more valuable for his role in the defense. Edmunds is a marginally better player, however. 

That's your completely incorrect and unsolicited opinion, but OK.

I'm thinking a 2 sack a year DT could be had for a whole lot cheaper than Ed.

And, please, for the love of all that's good and holy, spare me the pass rush win rate baloney

Edited by Pine Barrens Mafia

1 minute ago, boyst said:

Your take is wrong. Oliver is more valuable for his role in the defense. Edmunds is a marginally better player, however. 

You're wasting your time.

He's hated the pick since it happened, is incapable of ever admitting error and has no idea what is actually happening on a football field.

It's just another of his clueless crusades that is never going to end.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

1 minute ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

That's your completely incorrect and unsolicited opinion, but OK.

I'm thinking a 2 sack a year DT could be had for a whole lot cheaper than Ed.

And, please, for the love of all that's good and holy, spare me the pass rush win rate baloney

I don't do metrics and numbers and complicated stats. Oliver holds his own in this defense and hasn't been asked to attack the QB. 

Our DL's are not supposed to get sacks. We aren't a wide 9 defense. We aren't an all out rush team. 

Just now, Simon said:

You're wasting your time.

He's hated the pick since it happened, is incapable of ever admitting error and has no idea what is actually happening on a football field.

It's just another of his clueless crusades that is never going to end.

^ and here is the primary example of the person I'm describing in this thread. Despite any and all statistical proofs, there are Bills fans who insist the guy's actually good.

Just now, boyst said:

I don't do metrics and numbers and complicated stats. Oliver holds his own in this defense and hasn't been asked to attack the QB. 

Our DL's are not supposed to get sacks. We aren't a wide 9 defense. We aren't an all out rush team. 

If that's the case, then why all the dollars and effort spent on the position?

Why not just find two random tubs of goo to go out there and eat up space?

• Eyeroll 1

1 minute ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

^ and here is the primary example of the person I'm describing in this thread. Despite any and all statistical proofs, there are Bills fans who insist the guy's actually good.

If that's the case, then why all the dollars and effort spent on the position?

Because Vince Wilforks wife is busy and wouldn't play for a division foe.  Short of that, I don't know many tubs of goo.

• Haha (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

I used to dislike Oliver as well.  But there's guys on here who understand how to break down film and have watched him a lot.  

It seems like you're just box score scouting and that's it.

After watching the breakdown and getting a better understanding of it, he's definitely solid.  Not dominant like we want, but he's solid.

7 minutes ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

Because you don't play someone at the 3-tech to just be a tub of goo.  You need someone that can penetrate.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Because you don't play someone at the 3-tech to just be a tub of goo.  You need someone that can penetrate.

Right, and if the point is to penetrate, shouldn't we want that player to actually, you know, make the play after the glorious pass rush win?

Just now, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

Right, and if the point is to penetrate, shouldn't we want that player to actually, you know, make the play after the glorious pass rush win?

Well then you pay that guy as much as you pay Aaron Donald and Jeffrey Simmons in which we aren't.  

Oliver is currently the 12th high paid DT.  And after this year, he will be probably in the 16-20 range.

I can understand you being upset if we paid him like a top 3 DT but he's not anywhere close to that.

He's being paid at his value.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I used to dislike Oliver as well.  But there's guys on here who understand how to break down film and have watched him a lot.  

It seems like you're just box score scouting and that's it.

After watching the breakdown and getting a better understanding of it, he's definitely solid.  Not dominant like we want, but he's solid.

but not too deep that they open up lanes for rushing, or breaks in the pocket allowing for scrambling qb's to escape.

but also deep enough that they close the gap between the QB and the LOS to give room for the LB's to scrape

but then not too deep that the OL can simply stunt them and trap them

but even then maintain an even rush and tempo to keep balance on your blocker and not let them get to the second level

...defensive line is so underrated.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This is what is separating the Bills with the Chiefs right now,  they are hitting on picks and Beane is missing bad on picks.  Kaiir Elam, Basham/Ford are just a few bad high round picks that Beane has blown.  There is still time for Elam but trading Basham to the Giants for a chance at swapping lower round pick is another bust return.

At this point I would just prefer Beanne use a second rounder & 3rd rounder for Taylor. You get a 24 year old star RB that you can offer an extension that does not kick in until next season.  We really need to start adding young talent around Allen.  You cannot just continue to have guys in their 30's making huge money and then missing on picks. Very good possibility that Diggs gets moved next offseason is he continues to make noise.

Allen/Kincaid/Taylor is a very solid young triplet pairing 

22 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

For sure.  Lets trade O'Cyrus Torrence right now.

31 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

very frustrating. Also, boogie was looking pretty good too. Why not try to ship AJE instead? (Maybe he tried).

Something tells me Sean who loves high character guys choose AJ over Boogie,  for me AJ is a bust and only still on the team because he was picked high.  AJ is just not consistent enough.  

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

For sure.  Lets trade O'Cyrus Torrence right now.

There was much anticipation about Cody Ford at LG after his first TC too.   He and old man Ty Nsekhee were plowing defense's in the run game on the right side during that preseason.   Then later in the season Von Miller gave Cody props for his work at RT when he got moved there after Nsekhee injury.    Cody had so many fans they were defending the unnecessary PF penalty he took in the playoff loss like Cody was some hero robbed by the officials.   Turned out he was just a block head who couldn't block.    It's a bit too early to take a victory lap on O'Cyrus.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.