Case Keenum is more than a target

Lothar

57 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I really don't. I think they are going to try really had to bring in a QB. 

Who though can you bring in from the outside that knows this offense that you can trust the QB2 spot to right away?  Keenum and Trubisky are pry roster locks for the Texans and Steelers.  They'll definitely sign someone to the practice squad they hope to quickly develop but right now I don't see a better option to start the year at QB2 than Kyle Allen.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Doc Brown said:

Who though can you bring in from the outside that knows this offense that you can trust the QB2 spot to right away?  Keenum and Trubisky are pry roster locks for the Texans and Steelers.  They'll definitely sign someone to the practice squad they hope to quickly develop but right now I don't see a better option to start the year at QB2 than Kyle Allen.

They were in on Trey Lance who is definitely not a ready now option so I am not sure they are confining themselves to that. I think they feel pretty confident they could get Allen on the PS and elevate him.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

They were in on Trey Lance who is definitely not a ready now option so I am not sure they are confining themselves to that. I think they feel pretty confident they could get Allen on the PS and elevate him.

It would be funny if they only kept Josh Allen on the 53 and then just rolled with practice squad call ups every week.

Edited by Doc Brown

1 minute ago, Doc Brown said:

It would be funny if they only kept Josh Allen on the 53 and then just rolled with practice squad call ups every week.

Didn't Belichick do that with kickers a couple of seasons back for like the first 3 or 4 weeks? Didn't roster one had two on the PS. 

If Barkley was healthy I don't actually think that would be the worst idea I have ever heard. There isn't much between them, they both know the scheme.... continue the competition for 6 weeks until you have exhausted the call ups and give yourself an extra roster spot to manage any short term injuries. 

As it is I think Allen will be on the 53 unless someone else comes in but I think their ideal is to bring someone in and they will turn over every rock to do so.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I really don't. I think they are going to try really had to bring in a QB. 

I agree they are going to bring a QB in.  Based on Kyle Allen's off/preseason and trying to bring in Trey Lance I think Beane will get a new QB in town.

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Agreed.  

Also, if they can't get Allen on the PS some other team is a disaster that signs him.

35 minutes ago, ALLinALLEN said:

So lemme get this straight...people actually want to give up draft picks for a guy that went 2/7 and 8 yards last year because hes.....familiar? 

I thought it was only to preserve the 3rd round comp pick.  If they're going away from Kyle Allen, they need someone better than either of those guys.

13 hours ago, Sierra Foothills said:

Hmmm... Beane might be reluctant to make that call. As has been pointed out, that would be an invitation for Nick Caserio to bluff Beane and then Beane would have to decide whether to call his bluff. Or is it a bluff?

Who cares if we get bluffed?  The only way it would matter is if the capital demanded by Houston to maintain our third round compensatory (and the FA(s) we signed and would have to cut to get the comp pick back) and improve our backup QB situation could have been used to obtain a superior backup QB option.  

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

This is one of the writers for Over The Cap. According to him it doesn't matter if Keenum is cut, the comp pick is locked in. Good news here.

If that’s the case, then it’s good news - 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

make it happen Beane..two major reasons:

1. better backup qb depth for sure - Kyle Allen is too erratic...Barkley is good in the room but poor in the field

2. need to protect and gain that holy grail of third or fourth rounder to draft tne next dwarf linebacker with chronic injury history or an athletic OL that cannot perform the basics of the position.

• Disagree 2

9 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Beane said he inquired lol that means he got a feeler.. not that he was super serious about giving up anything serious 

Why would he be good as our backup when San Francisco isn't even comfortable?

If we tried trading for him I think we tried bringing him in as a three to start ... Because he certainly doesn't know enough to supplant the QBs here right away..

There's no way the bills were comfortable with him as the primary backup when he's been relegated to third string by his own franchise.. he's an enormous bust

I think he would have started as the 3

Edited by Buffalo716

13 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Some pundits say they were in on trey... The dude can't even win a backup job from the team that traded three first round picks for him..  I didn't hear beane say he tried making a move

Why would he be good as our backup when San Francisco isn't even comfortable?

If we tried trading for him I think we tried bringing him in as a three to start ... Because he certainly doesn't know enough to supplant the QBs here right away

There's no way the bills were comfortable with him as the primary backup when he's been relegated to third string by his own franchise.. he's an enormous bust

the bills get linked to everyone lol

The reporter that reported that is pretty reliable. 

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

The reporter that reported that is pretty reliable. 

Reread my edited post .. I was typing and editing 5, 000 thoughts and you reposted as soon as I finished 

I think it would have been strictly to start as the third string

Edited by Buffalo716

1 minute ago, Buffalo716 said:

Reread my edited post .. I was typing and editing 5, 000 thoughts and you reported as soon as I finished 

I think they are not happy with the backup competition. There might be lots of circumstantial evidence rather than a smoking gun but when you put together:

- McDermott's comments after the first pre-season game;

- the fact they flipped Kyle and Matt in the 2nd game;

- Beane showing an interest (however serious) in Lance;

- the alleged "hot mic" comments from Jim Miller.

It is very difficult I think to come to the conclusion they are happy with what they have. People have tried to liken it to Case not having a great pre-season debut last year. Well in that scenario the Bills never waivered for a moment. The way they have responded to Kyle this time is not the same. 

I have to imagine Brandon is working the phones. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think they are not happy with the backup competition. There might be lots of circumstantial evidence rather than a smoking gun but when you put together:

- McDermott's comments after the first pre-season game;

- the fact they flipped Kyle and Matt in the 2nd game;

- Beane showing an interest (however serious) in Lance;

- the alleged "hot mic" comments from Jim Miller.

It is very difficult I think to come to the conclusion they are happy with what they have. People have tried to liken it to Case not having a great pre-season debut last year. Well in that scenario the Bills never waivered for a moment. The way they have responded to Kyle this time is not the same. 

I have to imagine Brandon is working the phones. 

I don't know anybody that heard those hot mic comments besides the guy who posted the thread

It coulda happened but I would like other bills fans to corroborate the story

Again I don't think they're happy with what they have... But I think Trey Lance walking in as the number two is also stupid 

I think he would have been the number 3 to start he has no experience in the offense and his career collapsed 

That guy is not given the number 2 reigns

Edited by Buffalo716

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.