Maui

1 minute ago, Doc said:

Exit roads were barricaded?  Seriously?  If true, murder charges need to be handed down.

Another Biden botch job.  He probably ordered that.  No wonder he had "no comment".  What a mess.    

• Like (+1) 1

My conspiracy brain is getting ready to hear that the government owned power company went to fix something in the wooded area, screwed the pooch, started the fire, locked the gates out of town to try and stop the story from spreading, without prioritizing the water sources to put the fire out. The only part of what I wrote that would surprise me is that they intentionally locked the gates, most likely it was simply incompetence. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Orlando Tim said:

My conspiracy brain is getting ready to hear that the government owned power company went to fix something in the wooded area, screwed the pooch, started the fire, locked the gates out of town to try and stop the story from spreading, without prioritizing the water sources to put the fire out. The only part of what I wrote that would surprise me is that they intentionally locked the gates, most likely it was simply incompetence. 

Something's going on.  The "no comment" was too odd, even for Joke.

• Like (+1) 1

SPOILER: THEY WON’T. A Lot Of Government Officials Should Be Going To Prison For The Hawaii Fires.

If we had a functioning news media, there’s a video that would be leading every newscast right now. It has nothing to do with a plane crash in Russia, a GOP primary debate, or even the indictment of every lawyer who’s ever given Donald Trump legal advice, as important as all those topics may be.

This video is about Americans — including children — who died horribly this month. It’s about how their deaths could have been prevented if their government was even remotely competent.

The footage I’m talking about is an interview with a survivor of the fires in Maui. This interview was conducted not by CNN or NPR but by a real estate agent who moonlights as a citizen journalist. He spoke with a man who goes by “Fish” and survived the blaze in Lahaina. Here’s what that man saw. . . .

He says, “All the cars were lined up, but none of them were moving. . . . And I was wondering what was stopping the traffic. It was a policeman.”

Only those who disobeyed, survived.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/a-lot-of-government-officials-should-be-going-to-prison-for-the-hawaii-fires

• Like (+1) 1

What My Experience Preventing Wildfires in Colorado Taught Me About Maui and Climate Change.

Tyler O'Neil

Lahaina-Hawaii-fire-devastation-1250x650

The devastating fire that ravaged the Maui community of Lahaina has claimed the lives of over 100 people, and more than 300 remain unaccounted for. Many on the Left—Hawaii’s governor included—have claimed that man-made “climate change” is ultimately responsible for the most deadly fire in a century, but I know from personal experience that factors on the ground, more than some nebulous global trend, are far more important when it comes to preventing wildfires from spreading.

I grew up in rural Colorado during years of drought, and my father is a volunteer fireman. Every summer, I spent hours upon hours clearing out the forest around our mountain home, cutting the grass, raking the shrubs, and bagging the detritus of the forest floor that would burn to a crisp in moments.

Our house stood on the mountain slope, with slightly more than 3 acres of land around us. We managed the 50 yards of grass and shrubs on the slope directly beneath the house—my dad used a chainsaw to hack off the trees’ low-hanging branches—because a wildfire in that area would rise almost immediately to the wooden beams of our home, putting our lives and all our possessions at risk.

My father knew what he was doing. He spent decades as a wildland fire volunteer on the Coal Creek Canyon Fire Department. He would rush to the scene of a fire, entering derailed train cars to pull victims to safety. He performed vital first aid to save lives in dangerous situations, and he loved to take the fire trucks out on solid ice for training.

Human beings have little control when a wildfire starts, but diligent forest management can slow or stop the spread of deadly infernos. Controlled burns help preserve the forest and clear the forest floor of bone-dry materials that fuel a less predictable blaze. Diligent logging practices also help to limit the amount of combustible material.

https://www.dailysignal.com/2023/08/25/climate-change-is-distraction-how-we-really-prevent-maui-style-wildfires/

• Like (+1) 3

4 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

And if they'd had more guns they could've shot the fire dead.

Wow, what a pathetic response but it is clear you realize this disaster would not happen in  red state, it takes truly special incompetence to be this bad.

Has anyone stated why the roads were blocked? That is the part that seems the most insane to me, that they would not let people escape. Lack of alarm is incompetence, lack of water supply is incompetence but to actively stop the escape reeks of some intent that I can not fathom. 

20 minutes ago, Orlando Tim said:

Has anyone stated why the roads were blocked? That is the part that seems the most insane to me, that they would not let people escape. Lack of alarm is incompetence, lack of water supply is incompetence but to actively stop the escape reeks of some intent that I can not fathom. 

I imagine it was just poor disaster planning. You shut the roads to ensure access for firefighters etc after a small fire breaks out, ambit then when it goes gangbusters there’s no evacuation route. Let’s hope lessons have been learned. 

2 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

I imagine it was just poor disaster planning. You shut the roads to ensure access for firefighters etc after a small fire breaks out, ambit then when it goes gangbusters there’s no evacuation route. Let’s hope lessons have been learned. 

That is the most likely answer, good point by you,  but that is horrendous emergency control since you want to make sure nothing is coming in, not blocking people getting out of the way. The person who was responsible for this being the implemented policy is both incompetent and should be held legally negligent since there is no intelligent reason for it. 

2 hours ago, Orlando Tim said:

On social media I heard power poles were down, possibly blocking roads. Not sure how accurate that is though.

Overall it sounds like a lack of money spent on fire prevention and mitigation. Utility pole replacement when strength is compromised, grass and fuel management, building codes, and emergency planning, upgrading water systems, alarms, etc. Maintenance and prevention all takes money that some communities or corporations may not want to spend. A similar fire happened in 2014 with residents warning of the existing danger so this one wasn’t an unknown hazard.