Is the MLB Competition Over Before It Started?

JackKemp

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea there was a torn pectoral and a long standing shoulder concern.  Some teams, as I understand it, worried the two were linked - that the pec tear was a result of the of the strain he was putting on it trying to protect the shoulder. He was a medical red flag and off some boards. I had him as a 1st round talent. Will be very interesting to see how he does this year when he is the presumed starter. Barely got on the field as a rookie. 

Yeah, it came back to me now that you said that.  

As to last season, in fairness he had TJ Edwards in front of him on the depth chart.  Edwards was in his fourth season.  That's proper planning BTW.  

I'm bullish on Dean though.  I really wish we'd have drafted him.  

Ah well, offense is going to carry this team henceforth, presumably Beane will continue to draft some OL-men in rounds 1 & 2 if not 1 outright.  

I really see the KC offense taking a step back, and I don't see any other offense at the moment in the AFC anyway, that's should outperform ours.  

I'm not 100% sold on McGovern, but liking what Torrence brings in his first snaps as a pro.  He and Williams are the two I'm focusing on in the preseason.  If our OL can hold together and push for top-10 status, I really see great things offensively this season.  

8 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Yeah, it came back to me now that you said that.  

As to last season, in fairness he had TJ Edwards in front of him on the depth chart.  Edwards was in his fourth season.  That's proper planning BTW.  

I'm bullish on Dean though.  I really wish we'd have drafted him.  

Ah well, offense is going to carry this team henceforth, presumably Beane will continue to draft some OL-men in rounds 1 & 2 if not 1 outright.  

I really see the KC offense taking a step back, and I don't see any other offense at the moment in the AFC anyway, that's should outperform ours.  

I'm not 100% sold on McGovern, but liking what Torrence brings in his first snaps as a pro.  He and Williams are the two I'm focusing on in the preseason.  If our OL can hold together and push for top-10 status, I really see great things offensively this season.  

Yea the Eagles have the best General Manager in football. And I was saying that in 2019 when all the Eagles fans were demanding he get fired for whiffing on a couple of receivers and when he was being blamed for Wentz (when the reality is Wentz just sucked).

Yea the Eagles have the best General Manager in football. And I was saying that in 2019 when all the Eagles fans were demanding he get fired for whiffing on a couple of receivers and when he was being blamed for Wentz (when the reality is Wentz just sucked).

He certainly seems to be doing a decent job thus far.   Other than QB I'd trade rosters.  

Edited by PBF81

On 8/11/2023 at 9:21 AM, BillsVet said:

Trust the process?

Or rather, believe that MLB is of lower positional value, that Edmunds' value was significantly overrated by TBD, and that knowing the defense and being instinctive is more important than having top-end physical talent with low-end instincts.  

I'm amazed at how many people are doubting McD now.  Trust the process! ;)

If it’s of lower positional value then why would Beane spend a high 1st rounder and 3rd on Edmunds? The MLB has a ton of importance in this defense and fans better get used to there being significantly more passes completed down the middle of the field. Buffalo just had too many needs to draft his replacement. If Jack Campbell was there then it might have been different. I fully expect them to go MLB in the first 2 rounds next year. 

8 minutes ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

If it’s of lower positional value then why would Beane spend a high 1st rounder and 3rd on Edmunds? The MLB has a ton of importance in this defense and fans better get used to there being significantly more passes completed down the middle of the field. Buffalo just had too many needs to draft his replacement. If Jack Campbell was there then it might have been different. I fully expect them to go MLB in the first 2 rounds next year. 

I think McDermott and Beane we're hoping that Edmunds with his physical traits could be an elite player who could make game-changing plays on a regular basis.

Instead, Edmunds delivered solid play that was rarely spectacular. So they didn't resign him and committed a couple late-thirds to try to man the role.

The fact that they didn't extend him long before free agency tells me they weren't convinced he was worth his draft status — or they really wanted to and Edmunds numbers were unworkable. But I doubt after the end of Edmunds third season (when he was allowed to be extended) that he was asking anywhere close to the numbers the Bears ended up giving him. 

Another point: They gave Floyd $7,000,000 (base; worth up to $9 million with incentives) when they already had Rousseau and Miller coming back no later than game 6. That money could've went a long way in getting a proven veteran MLB — if they thought the position was of vital importance in their scheme. But they didn't.

We'll see how much of an overall D drop-off we experience with bottom-third MLB play. I suspect (or hope) it's not as much as some fear.

Edited by Nephilim17
  • Like (+1) 1

On 8/11/2023 at 9:42 AM, KDIGGZ said:

Well then there's your answer. They, like some on here, probably think a backup is "good enough." I guess we'll see!

As a bona fide armchair QB with over 70 seasons of Madden 2005 franchise mode under my belt, losing Edmunds this offseason was a big concern of mine.  Athletic, rangy MLBs are one of the most critical components of my scheme, and my defense performs a lot worse when I don't have one.

You see, I'm not an NFL-level defensive coach lol.  If I don't have the right personnel for my system, I have a hard time adapting my scheme to fit my personnel.

But the thing is... McD *is* an NFL-level defensive coach, and that means having the ability to adapt his scheme to fit his personnel.  It's just a matter of shuffling responsibilities around a bit. 

You can't expect to win in this league if your system requires special/rare athletes to function properly.  And since McD has a few wins under his belt, I tend to lean towards "trusting the process" as well.

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, PBF81 said:

He certainly seems to be doing a decent job thus far.   Other than QB I'd trade rosters.  

Every team in the league would. It is the best roster in football. And I absolutely HATE the Eagles. I cheered for the Patriots in two Superbowls I hate them that much. So for me to say that they are seriously good. 

• Like (+1) 1

Every team in the league would. It is the best roster in football. And I absolutely HATE the Eagles. I cheered for the Patriots in two Superbowls I hate them that much. So for me to say that they are seriously good. 

Nick Sirriani's from Jamestown, NY also. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

A lot changed in the 5 years since that pick was made.  In 2018 they could afford a RD1 MLB on his rookie deal but not as a pending UFA after his contract expired.  

This happens every time Buffalo loses a UFA...fans lose their stuff because a known entity and/or high pick isn't at certain positions.  I attribute it to fans getting almost everything they wanted for years and now seeing a team up against the cap having to make choices.  

Besides, why aren't you trusting the process?  Why are you doubting McBeane and their brand of football?  After all, you're not the GM, amirite?  :lol:

10 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Nick Sirriani's from Jamestown, NY also. 

Yea I am not as sold yet on him as I am on the team and the GM. He needs to beat somebody good. The best teams he has beaten in two years are last season's paper tiger Vikings; last season's Cowboys (and he is 1-3 overall against them); and the 49ers in the NFCCG with their 4th or 5th choice QB... I lost count. Now that isn't all his fault. The NFC isn't great and the schedule just set up for them but this season the test is tougher. They play the 3 teams I think are closest to them - Chiefs, Bills, 49ers in a 3 week run mid season with the Cowboys twice (and a bye) either side. Come out of that at least 3-2 and I will start to be a believer. 

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea I am not as sold yet on him as I am on the team and the GM. He needs to beat somebody good. The best teams he has beaten in two years are last season's paper tiger Vikings; last season's Cowboys (and he is 1-3 overall against them); and the 49ers in the NFCCG with their 4th or 5th choice QB... I lost count. Now that isn't all his fault. The NFC isn't great and the schedule just set up for them but this season the test is tougher. They play the 3 teams I think are closest to them - Chiefs, Bills, 49ers in a 3 week run mid season with the Cowboys twice (and a bye) either side. Come out of that at least 3-2 and I will start to be a believer. 

Funny you say that, I pointed out in a thread somewhere, I think about the "Top 5 Teams" thread, that Philly had an incredibly easy schedule last year.  So yeah, I agree.  And on the note of their roster, which we agree on, to whom more is given, more is also expected in this context.  

6 hours ago, BillsVet said:

A lot changed in the 5 years since that pick was made.  In 2018 they could afford a RD1 MLB on his rookie deal but not as a pending UFA after his contract expired.  

This happens every time Buffalo loses a UFA...fans lose their stuff because a known entity and/or high pick isn't at certain positions.  I attribute it to fans getting almost everything they wanted for years and now seeing a team up against the cap having to make choices.  

Besides, why aren't you trusting the process?  Why are you doubting McBeane and their brand of football?  After all, you're not the GM, amirite?  :lol:

Yep. That’s what happens when you hit on an elite QB in the draft (like Beane did) and have to give him a 2nd contract, you have to maneuver around the cap every year. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 8/11/2023 at 9:21 AM, BillsVet said:

Trust the process?

Or rather, believe that MLB is of lower positional value, that Edmunds' value was significantly overrated by TBD, and that knowing the defense and being instinctive is more important than having top-end physical talent with low-end instincts.  

I'm amazed at how many people are doubting McD now.  Trust the process! ;)

significantly overrated is an understatement.  Williams looks and plays like Edmunds but he can tackle

MLB will be a real problem for us until Dorian feels comfortable enough to take the reigns. He’s talented enough and physical enough to be impactful. I guess they prefer Dodson’s experience and knowledge of the defense, but he is not instinctual and lacks the demeanor necessary to deal with the ebbs and flows of games where his leadership is necessary and being calm in the storm.

On 8/16/2023 at 2:58 PM, BillsVet said:

Yea for me. In salary cap era. You’re going to lose some good players. Edmunds was ok / good. Not spectacular. Part of the equation here is also getting that 3rd rd comp pick next year - sustained success.

if ppl are going to gripe -about beane - LET poyer an aged / banged up safety who gets roasted in coverage against Mia and Kc AND players like Hines / siran Neal / matekavich GO in order to sign a proven vet  MLb for Super Bowl run this year 

Edited by balln
  • Like (+1) 1

Beanes not an unintelligent guy so how does he decide to go into this year without a good replacement for Edmunds?

Don't get me wrong, Edmunds was not perfect but he was capable of occupying a good deal of space in the center of the field. We have no one who is close to being able to do waht Edmunds did in pass defense and that will significantly affect how the back 7 will play.

So how does Beane get us into this mess at MLB?

4 minutes ago, Old Coot said:

Beanes not an unintelligent guy so how does he decide to go into this year without a good replacement for Edmunds?

Don't get me wrong, Edmunds was not perfect but he was capable of occupying a good deal of space in the center of the field. We have no one who is close to being able to do waht Edmunds did in pass defense and that will significantly affect how the back 7 will play.

So how does Beane get us into this mess at MLB?

31 teams played defense without Edmunds last year.  I our defensive guru coach needs to figure out how to play defense without Edmunds this year. 

• Like (+1) 2

40 minutes ago, Chaos said:

31 teams played defense without Edmunds last year.  I our defensive guru coach needs to figure out how to play defense without Edmunds this year. 

I agree with this but how do we not have an adequate replacement for MLB. Some of the players are good against runs but not against the pass. Some are decent against the pass but not so good on runs. You'd think that Beane & McD would have had better proscpects to replace Edmunds.

On 8/16/2023 at 3:05 PM, GunnerBill said:

Yeah to me he's like Howie Roseman's version of Jerry Jones' Barry Switzer.   

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.