Bills release first official depth chart of 2023

StHustle

15 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Interesting that Quessenberry and Boettger, people that many of us once viewed as good depth, both are mired on the third string.  Says something about the depth on the line. 

dding trade value.  There is a shortage of adequate OL.  Bills could conceivably trade 3 OL for draft picks.  Same with Settle.  Bills arent keepimg 5 DL

2 minutes ago, Pete said:

dding trade value.  There is a shortage of adequate OL.  Bills could conceivably trade 3 OL for draft picks.  Same with Settle.  Bills arent keepimg 5 DL

I don't know about three OL, but it's a good point.  

I'm not a roster guru, but I'd be surprised if they let Settle go.  If they do, I'd think there'll be a market for him.

3 hours ago, Pete said:

CB and S

White

Elam

Bedford

Taron

Jackson

Lewis

Poyer

Hyde

Rapp

Hamlin

Two words: Siran Neal

Stalwart on special teams for years

Now Lewis is listed ahead of him at NCB and along with Hamlin as the 4th safety

I don't want to watch Cam Lewis in run coverage near the LOS

A lot of people have trauma from watching him in pass coverage last year

He has reportedly been having a great camp, but.....

Is it possible the Bills keep Lewis and release Neal?  It's possible but wow, that would represent a change for them.

Neal is signed through 2024 and carries $1M dead cap if cut

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, PBF81 said:

We're going to miss Edmunds. 

The move was probably best for both however, us as well as Edmunds.  I suspect that he'll flourish in Chicago in a traditional MLB role.  

We obviously didn't use him that way.  

So THE problem was how we used Edmunds?

I watch each Bills game 3 times -- once while drinking heavily watching the game live and then twice completely sober (or almost) during the following week.

I wanted to like Edmunds.  What is there NOT to like?  Popular with his teammates.  The interesting back story with his two NFL playing bros.  A tremendous physical asset.  A first round Buffalo Bills draft pick that we traded up for.  Crap!!!  I even like his fake dreadlocks.

Unfortunately, my lying eyes would not lie to me when it came to Edmunds football instincts.  He would simply guess where the ball carrier was going and more often then not he was wrong.  

Then when he did zoom in on ball carrier he was easily nullified in the wash.  Could not shed a block if it was a 25 lb block of cheddar.

$18M?

LOL!!!

Thank you Chicago.

You're my kinda town.

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, Beck Water said:

Two words: Siran Neal

Stalwart on special teams for years

Now Lewis is listed ahead of him at NCB and along with Hamlin as the 4th safety

I don't want to watch Cam Lewis in run coverage near the LOS

A lot of people have trauma from watching him in pass coverage last year

He has reportedly been having a great camp, but.....

Is it possible the Bills keep Lewis and release Neal?  It's possible but wow, that would represent a change for them.

Neal is signed through 2024 and carries $1M dead cap if cut

I forgot about Neal.  He backs up Taron too.  That will be a tough choice.  Beane has a surplus of S, OL, DL and maybe TE and WR.  I surmise Beane makes at least two trades before opening day.

7 hours ago, Beck Water said:

54 minutes ago, HIT BY SPIKES said:

So THE problem was how we used Edmunds?

I watch each Bills game 3 times -- once while drinking heavily watching the game live and then twice completely sober (or almost) during the following week.

I wanted to like Edmunds.  What is there NOT to like?  Popular with his teammates.  The interesting back story with his two NFL playing bros.  A tremendous physical asset.  A first round Buffalo Bills draft pick that we traded up for.  Crap!!!  I even like his fake dreadlocks.

Unfortunately, my lying eyes would not lie to me when it came to Edmunds football instincts.  He would simply guess where the ball carrier was going and more often then not he was wrong.  

Then when he did zoom in on ball carrier he was easily nullified in the wash.  Could not shed a block if it was a 25 lb block of cheddar.

$18M?

LOL!!!

Thank you Chicago.

You're my kinda town.

We'll see.  Maybe he won't be any good in Chicago, but as pointed out, he'll be playing in a classic 4-3 there from what I can tell, we didn't do that here, so it will be different for him.  Whether or not that changes remains to be seen.

He had his weaknesses like most players, but I also see quite a bit of bias in the anti-Edmunds Contingent.  

IMO we're going to get a dose of the grass isn't always greener on this one, which is my point, if you thought that the MLB play last season was deficient, buckle up my friend, it could be a long season for you in that regard.  

He also just turned 25.  It also sounds as if they wanted to keep him but simply couldn't afford it.  

Edited by PBF81
  • Like (+1) 1

Klein being listed as 4th string LB is disappointing.  I think he's proven himself to have a physically nasty edge when used in blitz packages 

21 hours ago, HappyDays said:

It's because Spector is the one unknown on the depth chart. I've seen Dodson in coverage, he isn't good enough. This is year five for him, I doubt the light is suddenly going to go on. Bernard looked completely overmatched to me in his limited reps last year. Nothing I've heard about him at camp this year eases that concern. I don't typically give up on players this early but I think they just blew that pick. It happens. So a small part of me hoped Spector would come out of nowhere and at least give us starting caliber play at the position.

The reality is that MLB is going to be a weak point for us this year, no getting around that now. It's a little scary having no starting level talent for a key position but I suppose most teams have to deal with that somewhere on their roster.

It would be nice if a solid starting LB was cut. It's possible a team has one that they'll release due to cap or that player not fitting scheme / wasn't drafted by new GM

22 minutes ago, HIT BY SPIKES said:

Can you get those split jerseys with half a Bills and half a Bears jersey?

Those are kool!!!

Run into that a lot when the Seminoles play the Gaytors. House divided t-shirts or half jerseys. Fun times. 

image.png.e21612d83fba8c1854d1554cd4e776c2.png

Just now, Dopey said:

Run into that a lot when the Seminoles play the Gaytors. House divided t-shirts or half jerseys. Fun times. 

image.png.e21612d83fba8c1854d1554cd4e776c2.png

Very nice!!!

How about a little photo shopping of the 3 Edmunds Brothers' heads on the bodies of The Three Stooges with Fe'Zahn Tremaine Edmunds' face on Curley's body?

31 minutes ago, HIT BY SPIKES said:

Very nice!!!

How about a little photo shopping of the 3 Edmunds Brothers' heads on the bodies of The Three Stooges with Fe'Zahn Tremaine Edmunds' face on Curley's body?

If you have an issue with them too, have at it. 

18 hours ago, 3rdand12 said:

I was thinking Kevin Johnson for some ODD reason

Ima tellin' ya ! He is Jones next.

Oliver has Phillips

Poona will be a beast.
he might be rotating on run And pass downs !

Agree, Poona should be a beast this year.  That's why I was surprised he was behind Settle.  

• Agree 2

On 8/9/2023 at 5:54 PM, PBF81 said:

And those that seemed to think that Williams would end up at MLB, or that Klein was anything but a depth player at this point in his career.  Maybe he'll move up, but based on this chart I at least feel vindicated in my positions about the starting players.  Same for Poona Ford whom IMO many overrate.  

Again, poor planning.  

I'm not sure that it can reasonably be spun any other way.  

I have to consider otherwise.

But thank you for the response

Hard for me to grasp that McBeanes didn't or dont have a decent plan to make use of knowing that Edmunds was going to be PAID.
 Until the Season begins and we see the LBs as the main weakness, and it does project that way imho ? I will reserve judgement.

But yea I hear ya

On 8/9/2023 at 6:03 PM, PBF81 said:

We're going to miss Edmunds. 

The move was probably best for both however, us as well as Edmunds.  I suspect that he'll flourish in Chicago in a traditional MLB role.  

We obviously didn't use him that way.  

Bills Defense needed a kick in the arse to get out of that mindset they allowed with Tremaine and frazier.
How they respond is yet to be determined.

23 hours ago, Pete said:

You folks and Tim Settle  Geesh ! 😆

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.