Rookie Playing Time in McDermott Era

jwhit34

42 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I mean in 2022 I didn't have a 1st round grade on the guy who went 1st overall.... so there is that. Depends year to year. Some years I am close to the "consensus" some years I am further from the pack. But there are equally guys like Emmanuel Forbes in this last draft who I was talking about as a top 20 pick before he started getting buzz off the media. 

Do you post your rankings anywhere besides here?  

Edited by PBF81

3 hours ago, PBF81 said:

Do you post your rankings anywhere besides here?  

Nope. I used to on an NFLUK forum but haven't for a few years. I share with some other people I know, one who is in the drsft industry and another who used to coach in the league to discuss and get different perspectives and then I post here. It's just for fun. It is my geeky hobby.

• 5 months later...

One thing is clear with McDermott is he loves his older vets and has very little patience for young players.  He is going to need to adjust and start trusting and playing young players/rookies because of the Bills cap situation.  The Chiefs did it last season on ended up winning a Super Bowl,   they played and started rookies, some of those guys are now big contributors.  Even a young guy like rookie WR Justin Shorter maybe should have been brought up late in the year.  The WR position was a problem all season and no reason why you can't give a dude 6"4 a shot,  maybe we"re scoring a TD on that opening drive against KC rather than kicking a FG.   Or starting Elam over Jackson or over a injured Douglas who was not moving well at all in that Chiefs game.  There was one throw on the opening drive that Jackson had an opportunity to intercept and missed,  maybe the more athletic Elam makes that play

In my opinion you keep all your rookie picks on the opening day roster and let them learn and play through mistakes early in the season and then they can be counted on come playoff time.  Having them hide on your practice squad is not helping them get experience or getting them ready for the playoffs

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Niagara Dude said:

One thing is clear with McDermott is he loves his older vets and has very little patience for young players.  He is going to need to adjust and start trusting and playing young players/rookies because of the Bills cap situation.  The Chiefs did it last season on ended up winning a Super Bowl,   they played and started rookies, some of those guys are now big contributors.  Even a young guy like rookie WR Justin Shorter maybe should have been brought up late in the year.  The WR position was a problem all season and no reason why you can't give a dude 6"4 a shot,  maybe we"re scoring a TD on that opening drive against KC rather than kicking a FG.   Or starting Elam over Jackson or over a injured Douglas who was not moving well at all in that Chiefs game.  There was one throw on the opening drive that Jackson had an opportunity to intercept and missed,  maybe the more athletic Elam makes that play

In my opinion you keep all your rookie picks on the opening day roster and let them learn and play through mistakes early in the season and then they can be counted on come playoff time.  Having them hide on your practice squad is not helping them get experience or getting them ready for the playoffs

At the moment 4 of those picks will be 6th and 7th rounders. A good chance that you are keeping those guys over better players which might not be wise. 

And they did activate Shorter's 21 day practice window coming off IR. I suspect the fact that it closed without him being elevated suggests they didn't think he was fully healthy. 

• Like (+1) 2

It was proven this season that a vet isn't always the way to go . Harty & Sheffield should be on the first plane out of Bills territory ! Sure they might have a good work ethic, always on time or early but if you can't catch the ball when given the opportunity then it's all for naught .

They need to look for rookies that have really good skills bring them in and coach them up it's better for the cap & the future of the team . Beans has found the likes of some really good players late in the draft and will continue to do the same & the rookies seem to develop to do better than the vets because they have something to prove .

• Agree 1

Shorter is not an NFL WR imo. He body catches and isn’t a good route runner. Hopefully he proves me wrong but I 100% don’t go into this offseason thinking he’s contributing anything more than special teams. Grab a top WR in this loaded class and also Get some good WR evaluators in the building and find those Shakirs and Nakua types on day 2 and 3. Got to give Josh more. Right now we have a bunch of guys who can’t separate and even though I like Brady, he’s not scheming our receivers open like Lafleur does for Love

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

18 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

He is going to need to adjust and start trusting and playing young players/rookies because of the Bills cap situation.

Can't teach an old dog new tricks.  Read the Ty Dunne piece.  It's his way or the highway, McDimwit is that kind of guy.

Last off-season, some clueless wide-eyed Bills fan started a thread here talking about the insane stats he anticipated from Dalton Kincaid in his rookie campaign.  I pointed out that he won't get the opportunity from McD to get those kinds of stats, as McD doesn't play rookies.  The injury to Knox helped, but Kincaid finished with 673 yards and 2 TDs.  People live in dream worlds.

Don't expect too much change from McDimwit.

In fact, expect us to become MORE run heavy.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Disagree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

23 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

McD has played younger players his whole career if they are good. 

If they suck, they don’t play.

Benford played a lot last year. Elam did not. 

Zay Jones played a lot when he was a rookie (he sucked, but sucked less than everyone else).

Dorian Williams is spinning like a top out there on defense, so he doesn’t play. 

Shakir struggled with drops, so he didn’t play much as a rookie.

Dawkins played every game as a rookie, because he was good. 

Tre White played every game as a rookie, because he was good.

Rousseau played almost every game as a rookie, because he was good. 

Honestly, this is such a tired narrative. Yes, Boogie Basham didn’t see the field a lot, it’s because he ***** sucks.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Can't teach an old dog new tricks.  Read the Ty Dunne piece.  It's his way or the highway, McDimwit is that kind of guy.

Last off-season, some clueless wide-eyed Bills fan started a thread here talking about the insane stats he anticipated from Dalton Kincaid in his rookie campaign.  I pointed out that he won't get the opportunity from McD to get those kinds of stats, as McD doesn't play rookies.  The injury to Knox helped, but Kincaid finished with 673 yards and 2 TDs.  People live in dream worlds.

Doesn't play rookies? I guess we missed the rookie OG that played every snap on offense this season. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

That 673 yards was the 10th most from a rookie TE in NFL history. His 73 catches were the 4th most by a rookie TE in NFL history.

O'Cyrus Torrence played ever snap as a rookie.

I cannot believe this is still a narrative. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

One thing is clear with McDermott is he loves his older vets and has very little patience for young players.  

This is a complete falsehood and yet another example of people projecting stuff on the head coach that he just does not do. I actually looked this up and was directed to this post right on this forum which discusses this. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, RkFast said:

This is a complete falsehood and yet another example of people projecting stuff on the head coach that he just does not do. I actually looked this up and was directed to this post right on this forum which discusses this. 

Thank you for referencing my original post on this. If anything, 2023 further dispels the "McDermott doesn't play rookies" myth. Torrence played every offensive snap, Kincaid was the 2nd leading receiver. 2nd year players Cook, Bernard and Benford all started, and Shakir ended up as WR3. 

The "McDermott doesn't play rookies" is a complete falsehood. 

21 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

Doesn't play rookies? I guess we missed the rookie OG that played every snap on offense this season. 

This is a poor example because top picks usually play,  I am talking about second day picks

8 minutes ago, jwhit34 said:

Thank you for referencing my original post on this. If anything, 2023 further dispels the "McDermott doesn't play rookies" myth. Torrence played every offensive snap, Kincaid was the 2nd leading receiver. 2nd year players Cook, Bernard and Benford all started, and Shakir ended up as WR3. 

The "McDermott doesn't play rookies" is a complete falsehood. 

Another guy going into a different direction,  he usually plays top picks or day one picks.  

23 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

How about you take your beer and compare how many picks KC played last year with what the Bills played.  

23 minutes ago, RkFast said:

The fact that is is most likely not McDermott's worse attribute as a HC should tell you something

25 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

That 673 yards was the 10th most from a rookie TE in NFL history. His 73 catches were the 4th most by a rookie TE in NFL history.

O'Cyrus Torrence played ever snap as a rookie.

I cannot believe this is still a narrative. 

Your cheery picking but continue on 

Edited by Niagara Dude

6 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

The fact that is is most likely not McDermott's worse attribute as a HC should tell you something

Your cheery picking but continue on 

"Cheery picking"😂

Yes, our top 2 picks being heavily played this year is "cheery picked"

Last year's class had Cook, Benford, Bernard

and Shakir, all played heavy roles. Elam was at this point an exception to playing rookies.

The year before both Groot and Brown ended their rookie years as starters. 

It's almost like some guys need time to develop. Case in point Bernard year 1...just wasn't ready. Looked lost. Year 2....played amazing. 

The narrative is about as dead as the idea that Tyler Dunne is impartial when it comes to writing articles on McDermott. 

But go ahead and dazzle me with some facts that aren't "cheery picked". I'll spot ya Elam. And go...

25 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

This is a poor example because top picks usually play,  I am talking about second day picks

Another guy going into a different direction,  he usually plays top picks or day one picks.  

How about you take your beer and compare how many picks KC played last year with what the Bills played.  

Torrence was a day 2 pick. Dawkins was a day 2 pick. Knox was a day 2 pick. Zay Jones was a day 2 pick.  Spencer Brown was a day 2 pick. This is a total flail job because Justin Shorter didn’t play in our playoff game.

Edited by FireChans
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.