FIFA Woman's World Cup...USWNT looking to 3 Peat!

Big Turk

Kind of a crappy first game tho...US won 3-0 but playing against a team that had never been there before and whose main objective was to score a single goal in their 3 group stage games, they should have scored a lot more.

Last World Cup they beat Thailand 13-0 in the first game. This one should have been closer to 10-0 at least.

Basically missed a Penalty kick, and a bunch of shots that missed the net as well as a ton of very poor crossing attempts and passes into space that got intercepted.

Vietnam was no real threat. They had no shots in the game and rarely even got the ball past midfield. Seemed like they were content just to have 9 players in and around the box most of the game.

US needs to pick up their game, they don't have another cupcake on their schedule.

I was not too impressed with the level of soccer displayed in that game. Except for Sophia Smith. She's an outstanding goalscorer.

Later on I watched Japan vs. Zambia, and it was night-and-day compared to U.S./Vietnam. Now granted that the level of the competition was extremely low, but the Japanese women still took care of their business properly, and curb-stomped them as they should. I don't know if Nadeshiko can pull off a repeat of 2011 when they won it all, but I expect them to make it pretty far into this tournament.

It was frustrating game because Vietnam barely tried to play in the US end. Vietnam essentially stacked their own end, and rarely counterattacked with numbers. Their strategy was don’t give up a bunch of goals by not really trying to score. If Vietnam sent a real attack the US would have countered with much more space. 

11 hours ago, Max Fischer said:

It was frustrating game because Vietnam barely tried to play in the US end. Vietnam essentially stacked their own end, and rarely counterattacked with numbers. Their strategy was don’t give up a bunch of goals by not really trying to score. If Vietnam sent a real attack the US would have countered with much more space. 

Yeah I mean they seemed happy to just not lose by too much. Their strategy seemed to just kick the ball upfield and back to the US most of the time and defend again.

US seemed off on most things in the game. Passing, shooting, trying to create space, etc. I get it that 6 players were making their WC debut and were probably nervous and it wasn't their best team but they simply needed to be better than that against a team that has no chance.

• Agree 1

As per the usual, I'll be closely following USA, Italia, and Deutschland, especially as we go deep.

Caught Denmark vs. China yesterday; I think my St. Joe's high school team could have soundly beaten either team.  Sort of like watching paint dry.  Both teams played with the structure of a bunch of 6 year olds.

The better teams are fun to watch though.

Each team has now played their first game.

Looked good: Japan, Brazil, Germany, Spain, US

Had problems: England, France, Canada

Later tonight, Switzerland and co-host New Zealand can punch their tickets to the knock-out round.

Edited by DrW

8 hours ago, BritBill said:

I see enough badly played soccer watching my own team without waking up at some un-holy time to watch this on the tele. 

The complete lack of team structure can be appalling at times, but the best teams play much better than that.

Just watched the recent German, Brazilian, and Italian games, and they were all pretty fun to watch.

It'll get a lot more fun deeper in the tourney when good teams play good teams. 

It's the same in all tournaments.

It is hard to root for this team USA when so many of the players are rude and nasty to anyone who does not treat them like royalty. I have met several of them at soccer event in Orlando and none have come off well, most sound like Antonio Brown, all about what is owed to them. I want team USA to win but no one on the team impresses me as a person. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I’m sorry, but that was some of the worst soccer I’ve ever seen.  Bunching, errand kicks, poor zoning.  That was just plain ugly.  

I saw better soccer in the friendlies played this past week

• Agree 1

There’s no way the USA wins this.  Players too caught up in nonsense to focus on the game.  A couple players are downright distractions.  I hope they are eliminated in the first round.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Irv said:

There’s no way the USA wins this.  Players too caught up in nonsense to focus on the game.  A couple players are downright distractions.  I hope they are eliminated in the first round.  

There's a support group for all the people too upset by what the blue haired woman said to support their own nation on PPP.  You and the other Patriots can actively cheer for the failure of the country there without derailing a thread about the World Cup.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Jauronimo said:

There's a support group for all the people too upset by what the blue haired woman said to support their own nation on PPP.  You and the other Patriots can actively cheer for the failure of the country there without derailing a thread about the World Cup.

Don't include me in this.  Have enough penalty points.  You want to talk about the team being distracted about pay, then let's discuss it.  

1 minute ago, Irv said:

Don't include me in this.  Have enough penalty points.  You want to talk about the team being distracted about pay, then let's discuss it.  

You want the US Women to lose because they fought for equal pay to their male colleagues?  This went down a year ago and they won!  Meanwhile the women are talking about how good it is to have the bargaining issues behind them and their focus on the world cup.  Great point.

https://theathletic.com/4718111/2023/07/25/alex-morgan-uswnt-equal-pay/

https://www.espn.com/soccer/story/_/id/37628561/uswnt-usmnt-cbas-include-equal-pay-why-us-soccer-new-deals-rewrite-history-books

3 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

You want the US Women to lose because they fought for equal pay to their male colleagues?  This went down a year ago and they won!  Meanwhile the women are talking about how good it is to have the bargaining issues behind them and their focus on the world cup.  Great point.

https://theathletic.com/4718111/2023/07/25/alex-morgan-uswnt-equal-pay/

https://www.espn.com/soccer/story/_/id/37628561/uswnt-usmnt-cbas-include-equal-pay-why-us-soccer-new-deals-rewrite-history-books

You've made this too political.  I don't want any points.  I'm out.