Moving to St George Utah soon.

NewEra

13 hours ago, NewEra said:

It really is the place to be.  Mormons or no Mormons.

Comparing St. George to the current version of Las Vegas is laughable.  Vegas is a hot mess.  I’m a bit worried about the infrastructure of the streets.  With so many people moving there rn, I wonder how long it will take for it to become a construction zone and encompassed with terrible traffic.

My wife’s sister and husband moved there with their kids about 15 years ago. A lot has changed with the Mormons, something with new laws that affected the housing of the polygamists. There is these massive compounds being foreclosed, standing empty, half remodeled. I’m starting to talk about things that I don’t know too much about so I’ll find out more and private message you. I’m not too sure about St George because my most recent visit, it was within the year, was to Hurricane which is a smaller town. I don’t believe there’s too much to be concerned with, you should be fine. My current situation is unstable, Utah may be in the cards for me. If so maybe we could hook up and have a couple of beers and maybe even watch a Bills’ game. 

I have some extended family in St. George and have been to the city numerous times. Solid place.

As others have noted, here are some potential huge positives.

Some of the best hiking, national parks, golf courses, biking, and outdoor recreation you will find in western US.

Very pro business state and lots of business growth opportunity. Quality hospitals because St. George caters to retirees and to middle to upper middle class families. Two classic places to try for tasty but cheap eats are Brick Oven Pizza and Nielsen's Frozen Yogurt. 

Great location to access Las Vegas as well as Southern California without the taxes, traffic, crime, etc.

Everyone likes to put their critique (fair or unfair) on Mormons. I get that, and that's fair.  I will just say that the majority of people I have met in Utah are pro family, pro business, pro sports/outdoor recreation, and yes, more conservative socially and politically. I have had many pleasant interactions with people in St. George whether Mormon or not. 

Some drawbacks

The city is growing so housing prices continue to rise.

It does get very hot in summer. Not Vegas temperatures, but very warm.

Not going to find many Bills fans or many NY level bars.

Good thing... high school and college football is definitely supported in Utah.

Best of luck.  

Edited by Wizard
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

On 7/14/2023 at 8:29 PM, John from Riverside said:

I lived in Victor Idaho I think that’s pretty close to where you’re going

When I was there, Mormonism was strong don’t know how it is today

Idaho is cold, St. George is quite warm. Completely different climates.

On 7/14/2023 at 3:35 PM, NewEra said:

I’m going into business with a long time friend and my wife landed a great job at Rocky Vista University.  24 years in upstate Ny. 24 years in Vegas. Looking forward to 5-10 in St. George before I retire on a beach.

anyone here from that area?  My current game plan is to take the 2 hour drive to Vegas and keep business as usual at moondoggies for bills games.  Any bills backers bars?

Was just in Vegas yesterday you might want to bring some type of cooling device it was 113 degrees don't know how they do it ... 😰

On 7/14/2023 at 9:29 PM, John from Riverside said:

I lived in Victor Idaho I think that’s pretty close to where you’re going

When I was there, Mormonism was strong don’t know how it is today

John from Victor has such a nice ring to it.

1 hour ago, T master said:

Was just in Vegas yesterday you might want to bring some type of cooling device it was 113 degrees don't know how they do it ... 😰

I’ve been living in Vegas for 24 years.  

They = me 

it’s 3 months of pain-  great trade off for 9 months of amazing 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.