The Florida Blueprint: Inflation

• 4 weeks later...

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/rcna142316

While costs have been rising across the country, some areas of Florida have been hit particularly hard. In the South Florida region, which includes Miami, Fort Lauderdale and Palm Beach, consumer prices in February were up nearly 5% over the prior year, compared to 3.2% nationally, according to the most recent data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics.

Homeowners insurance rates in Florida rose 42% last year to an average of $6,000 annually, driven by hurricanes and climate change, and car insurance in Florida is more than 50% higher than the national average, according to the Insurance Information Institute. While once seen as an affordable housing market, Florida is now among the more expensive states to buy a home in, with prices up 60% since 2020 to an average of $388,500, according to Zillow.

For Carter, who made the move in 2022 from Kansas to a suburb of Orlando for the weather, beaches and to be closer to her grandchildren, the costs began to quickly pile up. She purchased a manufactured home and initially expected the lot rent in her community to be $580 a month. But when she arrived she learned her monthly bill was actually $750, and by the time she left it had jumped to $875 a month. Along with the $9,000 in repairs from the armadillos, her car insurance doubled and Hurricane Ian destroyed her home’s roof on her 62nd birthday.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

While costs have been rising across the country, some areas of Florida have been hit particularly hard. In the South Florida region, which includes Miami, Fort Lauderdale and Palm Beach, consumer prices in February were up nearly 5% over the prior year, compared to 3.2% nationally, according to the most recent data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics.

Homeowners insurance rates in Florida rose 42% last year to an average of $6,000 annually, driven by hurricanes and climate change, and car insurance in Florida is more than 50% higher than the national average, according to the Insurance Information Institute. While once seen as an affordable housing market, Florida is now among the more expensive states to buy a home in, with prices up 60% since 2020 to an average of $388,500, according to Zillow.

For Carter, who made the move in 2022 from Kansas to a suburb of Orlando for the weather, beaches and to be closer to her grandchildren, the costs began to quickly pile up. She purchased a manufactured home and initially expected the lot rent in her community to be $580 a month. But when she arrived she learned her monthly bill was actually $750, and by the time she left it had jumped to $875 a month. Along with the $9,000 in repairs from the armadillos, her car insurance doubled and Hurricane Ian destroyed her home’s roof on her 62nd birthday.

A few items to mention here:

1) Orlando is now absurdly expensive and not dropping soon most likely, supply is low for homes and demand is huge. In 2018 I recommended many people move south where similar cost for better lifestyle, now it is better lifestyle for much higher cost, unless you are moving from NYC, or other major city. 

2) the article quotes people who moved to an extremely expensive area (West Palm) and seemed surprised at the cost and congestion. Moving somewhere without research is on them. 

3) anyone moving to Orlando to buy a manufactured home is about 40 years late, they are cheap to buy because they are expensive to maintain and the land rentals are very unstable. Also car insurance doubling means she was in accidents for certain, my insurance has not increased by even 50% since 2016. 

4) last point is before moving here do some research, the costs are continuing to rise because it continues to grow. Know what it costs and expect it to be whatever the national inflation is + some.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Orlando Tim said:

1) Orlando is now absurdly expensive and not dropping soon most likely, supply is low for homes and demand is huge. In 2018 I recommended many people move south where similar cost for better lifestyle, now it is better lifestyle for much higher cost, unless you are moving from NYC, or other major city. 

2) the article quotes people who moved to an extremely expensive area (West Palm) and seemed surprised at the cost and congestion. Moving somewhere without research is on them. 

3) anyone moving to Orlando to buy a manufactured home is about 40 years late, they are cheap to buy because they are expensive to maintain and the land rentals are very unstable. Also car insurance doubling means she was in accidents for certain, my insurance has not increased by even 50% since 2016. 

4) last point is before moving here do some research, the costs are continuing to rise because it continues to grow. Know what it costs and expect it to be whatever the national inflation is + some.

Breaking News:  

“Booming area led by folks fleeing blue states that is well run and is hiring sees costs of living increases.”

Film at 11.  

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Orlando Tim said:

What is the purpose of the insurance companies making people replace roofs that are only 9 years old or less? Did they change how they construct them because of the hurricanes? Seems pointless if the whole house is laying on the ground but the roof is intact laying on top of the debris or blown away in one piece? 

7 minutes ago, 4th&long said:

What is the purpose of the insurance companies making people replace roofs that are only 9 years old or less? Did they change how they construct them because of the hurricanes? Seems pointless if the whole house is laying on the ground but the roof is intact laying on top of the debris or blown away in one piece? 

I used to work in insurance so I have a better understanding than most so this is longer than need be probably. I left insurance world in 2013 to teach and my last year there was with one of the 4 biggest Property insurers in FL. At that time we were spending more money on lawsuit claims then on straight paid claims. The law on the books until 2023 was if someone could prove insurance owed one more dollar than was paid that the insurance company had to pay out for the insured lawyers. Over time lawyers when they were confident they were going to get paid started getting engineers and other people to fluff the bill so that 10k roof which was fluffed up to $12k became a 40k payout. The reason for the 9 year old roof is most likely one or more of these three 1) roof is not of better roofing materials 2) they have already shown a penchant for calling in claims 3) the insurance company is shrinking their coverage in the area and want only the best risk, so if they want to lose them or their neighbor and they want the better risk.  I was able to keep my roof until it was 21 years old, I paid to have it changed myself and my insurance dropped by 25%, so I was paying for the higher risk. FL insurance has made definite improvements over the past year but it will take time for it to shake out. 

5 minutes ago, Joe Ferguson forever said:

Insurance costs will just get worse while y'all deny global warming.  100 degree days suck....

That happens on average three times a year in Orlando, the record is 7 days in one year and that was a century ago 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Tiberius said:

The political climate of the state is an important part of this piece.

• Eyeroll 1

2 minutes ago, Joe Ferguson forever said:

The people that left felt intimidated by MAGAs there. When they’re deplorable, it doesn’t take a majority. Read the piece. 

They were libs who destroyed their states and decided to move to Florida.  They found there were a lot of Repubs (shocker!) so they moved back to their safe spaces.

1 minute ago, Doc said:

They were libs who destroyed their states and decided to move to Florida.  They found there were a lot of Repubs (shocker!) so they moved back to their safe spaces.

Several had lived in Fla for decades. They noticed a drastic change. Last couple of trips to see friends there convinced me not to return. Our friends moved to Williamsburg. Much more civil and sophisticated…

• Haha (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Joe Ferguson forever said:

The people that left felt intimidated by MAGAs there. When they’re deplorable, it doesn’t take a majority. Read the piece. 

I read the piece again and it says the first lady is "middle of road Republican" but did not want to discuss politics, you assume it is maga because is makes it easier for you rationalize, but much of Orlando went for Biden. Secondly they make a statement in the article that is factually incorrect, property taxes in FL stay about the same because of state law, my property taxes are $200 more a year now then in 2004 when I bought home despite it being 3 times the value.

1 minute ago, Joe Ferguson forever said:

Several had lived in Fla for decades. They noticed a drastic change. Last couple of trips to see friends there convinced me not to return. Our friends moved to Williamsburg. Much more civil and sophisticated…

Williamsburg VA is more sophisticated than where in FL?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Orlando Tim said:

25 minutes ago, Orlando Tim said:

I read the piece again and it says the first lady is "middle of road Republican" but did not want to discuss politics, you assume it is maga because is makes it easier for you rationalize, but much of Orlando went for Biden. Secondly they make a statement in the article that is factually incorrect, property taxes in FL stay about the same because of state law, my property taxes are $200 more a year now then in 2004 when I bought home despite it being 3 times the value.

Williamsburg VA is more sophisticated than where in FL?

From a 30 year Fla resident.

Having grown up in Oklahoma, Smith considered herself a Republican, but as Florida’s politics shifted to the right, she said she began to consider herself a Democrat. It wasn’t until the past several years, though, that politics started to encroach on her daily life — from feuds between neighbors and friends to neo-Nazis showing up at a Black Lives Matter rally in her small town.

“When I first moved to Florida, it was a live-and-let-live sort of beach feel. You met people from all over, everybody was relaxed. That’s just gone now, and it’s shocking. It’s just gone,” said Smith, 61, who works as a graphic designer and illustrator. “Instead, it’s just a constant stressful atmosphere. I feel as though it could ignite at any point, and I’m not a fearmonger. It’s just the atmosphere, the feeling there.”

Our friends moved from st Augustine. We went to watch the TPC championship one year. Some of the spectators thought they were at a wrestling show. Wouldn’t be tolerated at a Williamsburg top course. The point about driving is also important. I’ve been passed several times by rednecks in chargers doing over 100. Rarely see cars pulled over or police cruisers

To each his own. Likely suits you fine

Edited by Joe Ferguson forever
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Joe Ferguson forever said:

My son went to William&Mary and still lives in Williamsburg.  Highest per-capita of pancake houses in the US.  Screams sophistication...

1 hour ago, Joe Ferguson forever said:

From a 30 year Fla resident.

Having grown up in Oklahoma, Smith considered herself a Republican, but as Florida’s politics shifted to the right, she said she began to consider herself a Democrat. It wasn’t until the past several years, though, that politics started to encroach on her daily life — from feuds between neighbors and friends to neo-Nazis showing up at a Black Lives Matter rally in her small town.

“When I first moved to Florida, it was a live-and-let-live sort of beach feel. You met people from all over, everybody was relaxed. That’s just gone now, and it’s shocking. It’s just gone,” said Smith, 61, who works as a graphic designer and illustrator. “Instead, it’s just a constant stressful atmosphere. I feel as though it could ignite at any point, and I’m not a fearmonger. It’s just the atmosphere, the feeling there.”

Our friends moved from st Augustine. We went to watch the TPC championship one year. Some of the spectators thought they were at a wrestling show. Wouldn’t be tolerated at a Williamsburg top course. The point about driving is also important. I’ve been passed several times by rednecks in chargers doing over 100. Rarely see cars pulled over or police cruisers

To each his own. Likely suits you fine

11 minutes ago, Joe Ferguson forever said:

Yes “Doc”. It’s hilarious that people’s dreams are crushed by boorish slobs and climate catastrophes. Smart people will be better informed now. 

Yes this "graphic designer and illustrator" who "feel[s] as thought it could ignite at any point" sounds legit.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Doc said:

My son went to William&Mary and still lives in Williamsburg.  Highest per-capita of pancake houses in the US.  Screams sophistication...

If “pancake”=colonial and William and Mary is a shite school, you are correct. Congratulations on your kid getting in. Highly competitive…

5 minutes ago, Joe Ferguson forever said:

If “pancake”=colonial and William and Mary is a shite school, you are correct. Congratulations on your kid getting in. Highly competitive…

I've been to Williamsburg many times.  Once you visit Colonial Williamsburg a few times and eat at a pancake restaurant, you've pretty much exhausted the "sophistication" of the place.  I'm glad I won't have to spend anymore time there.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Doc said:

Yes this "graphic designer and illustrator" who "feel[s] as thought it could ignite at any point" sounds legit.

Idiots like this, no wonder she left. One persons story and you are butt hurt over an article that means basically nothing. Too funny!

16 minutes ago, 4th&long said:

Idiots like this, no wonder she left. One persons story and you are butt hurt over an article that means basically nothing. Too funny!

You seem butt hurt over someone’s butt hurt. Too funny!

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, 4th&long said:

I don't believe anything anyone says anymore.  She just as likely lost all her business and that's why she moved.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Doc said:

I don't believe anything anyone says anymore.  She just as likely lost all her business and that's why she moved.

Well I don’t blame you for not believing anything. I just don’t see a reason to argue over a pointless article? 

Florida works out for some and not for others. whatever.  I never could understand why everyone wants to move to Florida. I’ve always wanted to go out west. And it has nothing to do with politics.  My wife didn’t want to go and I didn’t want to make her. 

Edited by 4th&long

6 minutes ago, 4th&long said:

Well I don’t blame you for not believing anything. I just done see a reason to argue over a pointless article? 

Florida works out for some and not for others. whatever.  I never could understand why everyone wants to move to Florida. I’ve always wanted to go out west. And it has nothing to do with politics.  My wife didn’t want to go and I didn’t want to make her. 

The article (purposely) made it appear like Florida was losing population.  When the truth is it is (still) gaining.  It should have mentioned that and then said what you did, i.e. that not every state is for everyone.

1 hour ago, Doc said:

I've been to Williamsburg many times.  Once you visit Colonial Williamsburg a few times and eat at a pancake restaurant, you've pretty much exhausted the "sophistication" of the place.  I'm glad I won't have to spend anymore time there.

Our friends took us to a diner for breakfast before we started home. Simple but polite. Almost genteel. And the pancakes were very good. I’m told they have some nice fine dining but my friend fired up the grill for dinner.  William and Mary’s campus is idyllic. 

5 minutes ago, Doc said:

The article (purposely) made it appear like Florida was losing population.  When the truth is it is (still) gaining.  It should have mentioned that and then said what you did, i.e. that not every state is for everyone.

I read that article thru one of my apps on my phone before it was posted here. It did mention that the population in the state is still increasing 2to1 if I remember It right. But the articles focus was on people leaving. I think it even n mentioned Texas is increasing. I would never move to or stay out of a state because of politics. At least that’s the way I always was. If the fighting is too bad I can see it not being worth going somewhere. 

Edited by 4th&long

1 minute ago, 4th&long said:

I read that article thru one of my apps on my phone before it was posted here. It did mention that the population in the date is still increasing 2to1 if I remember It right. But the articles focus was on people leaving. I think it even n mentioned Texas is increasing. I would never move to or stay out of a state because of politics. At least that’s the way I always was. If the fighting is too bad I can see it not being worth going somewhere. 

I wouldn’t live there or even visit. It’s too in your face. Even at nice places there are loud, annoying tables making known their MAGA dom to everyone. Not pleasant imo. Feels grabby and uncomfortable.Perhaps some would feel the same in a coffee shop in Ann Arbor- totally different vibes. Maybe that’s where we’re headed:  self imposed segregation.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

18 hours ago, Joe Ferguson forever said:

The political climate of the state is an important part of this piece.

This is the way. 

DeSantis may have some people who are mad at rising costs leaving Florida, but many are also liberals who no longer feel welcome in the state. 

He’s replacing them with conservatives and moderates from people leaving northern states.

Good.

More GOP Governors should follow the model.  New York makes it very well known that they merely tolerate the conservatives/moderates on Long Island, Staten Island and Upstate/WNY.  They do everything in their power to flaunt to you that you’re not really welcome in this state. 

As someone who moved south, I fully endorse McMaster & Kemp following suit.  Hopefully Robinson in NC if he wins as well. 

People are moving to these states far in excess of those leaving every year.   Send liberals packing back up north or to SoCal if they want nice weather. 

I cannot emphasize this enough - We don’t want them here.  I wish we could live together in harmony, but we cannot.  They are locusts that destroy everything. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, SCBills said:

This is the way. 

DeSantis may have some people who are mad at rising costs leaving Florida, but many are also liberals who no longer feel welcome in the state. 

He’s replacing them with conservatives and moderates from people leaving northern states.

Good.

More GOP Governors should follow the model.  New York makes it very well known that they merely tolerate the conservatives/moderates on Long Island, Staten Island and Upstate/WNY.  They do everything in their power to flaunt to you that you’re not really welcome in this state. 

As someone who moved south, I fully endorse McMaster & Kemp following suit.  Hopefully Robinson in NC if he wins as well. 

People are moving to these states far in excess of those leaving every year.   Send liberals packing back up north…

I cannot emphasize this enough - We don’t want them here. 

This is just silly. I can’t believe you wouldn’t like someone because of their politics? Atlanta is a great area. I have a friend there and visited it many times. In wny, in the smaller rural areas republicans and dems do fine. I don’t see a lot of fighting over politics anyway. Maybe that’s cause I stay out of it. I don’t know how nyc is? I’ve never been to that city nor have I ever had a desire to go there. 

i would never let politics keep me from visiting or moving to a city, unless people are as close minded as you and the fighting over politics is out in the open and there is no peace. If you can’t get along with another person especially over politics you need to look in the mirror. 

21 minutes ago, 4th&long said:

This is just silly. I can’t believe you wouldn’t like someone because of their politics? Atlanta is a great area. I have a friend there and visited it many times. In wny, in the smaller rural areas republicans and dems do fine. I don’t see a lot of fighting over politics anyway. Maybe that’s cause I stay out of it. I don’t know how nyc is? I’ve never been to that city nor have I ever had a desire to go there. 

i would never let politics keep me from visiting or moving to a city, unless people are as close minded as you and the fighting over politics is out in the open and there is no peace. If you can’t get along with another person especially over politics you need to look in the mirror. 

Do. Not. Care.

I left NY and moved south a few years ago when I turned 30.   Best decision I ever made.

I don’t want to see it become NY.

And you conflate politics with liberals (actually Leftists).  This isn’t about politics.. this is about people who hate me and what I stand for.   These are people who cheer the lighting of Niagara Falls trans colors on the holiest day of the Christian calendar. 

You know who that would also offend?  

Most Democrats in Atlanta.  You think black people what to see the King & Queen building in Sandy Springs lit up trans colors on Easter.. mocking their religion.  

Nah. 

This isn’t politics.  This is about rooting out people who want to destroy what makes growing southern areas so appealing to so many, R and D alike. 

Black people aren’t leaving Florida because they know the NAACP is lying to them.  White liberals that want absolute filth in school libraries are the type that deems Florida uninhabitable now. 

Good. 

Edited by SCBills

8 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Do. Not. Care.

I left NY and moved south a few years ago when I turned 30.   Best decision I ever made.

And you conflate politics with liberals (actually Leftists).  This isn’t about politics.. this is about people who hate me and what I stand for.   These are people who cheer the lighting of Niagara Falls trans colors on the holiest day of the Christian calendar. 

Most Democrats in Atlanta.  You think black people what to see the King & Queen building in Sandy Springs lit up trans colors on Easter.. mocking their religion.  

Nah. 

This isn’t politics.  This is about rooting out people who want to destroy what makes growing southern areas so appealing to so many, R and D alike. 

Black people aren’t leaving Florida because they know the NAACP is lying to them.  White liberals that want absolute filth in school libraries are the type that deems Florida inhabitable now. 

Good. 

Self segregation. Neither Florida nor Texas were ever on my move list. But I live in a conservative area, am known to be liberal and get along fine with most everyone. There’s a culture of politeness and hesitancy to openly disagree, especially in public. It’s just not done or accepted.  Civility is expected. I abide the rules.  Not so in the places I’ve been recently in Fla. I spent a month in Gainesville during college. It wasn’t anything like what Fla is now. I agree that small towns help temper this animosity   No one wants to be friendless. 

11 minutes ago, Joe Ferguson forever said:

Self segregation. Neither Florida nor Texas were ever on my move list. But I live in a conservative area, am known to be liberal and get along fine with most everyone. There’s a culture of politeness and hesitancy to openly disagree, especially in public. It’s just not done or accepted.  Civility is expected. I abide the rules.  Not so in the places I’ve been recently in Fla. I spent a month in Gainesville during college. It wasn’t anything like what Fla is now. I agree that small towns help temper this animosity   No one wants to be friendless. 

It only became “self segregation” when a state like Florida is doing it.

New York has been openly hostile to conservatives.  Causing so many to leave and the ones who have stayed behind, perpetually angry.  

Im from Long Island.. when I tell you the level of hate Irish and Italians on Long Island have for the Democrat politicians they live under..  they’ve done the best they can in electing Republicans in almost every LI jurisdiction until the Santos fiasco (which also includes Queens) but they still have to live under Dem rule due to NYC .. or leave .. and Kathy Hochul has basically told them to do as much. 

43 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

You misunderstand the south re: abortion.

Kemp passed a heartbeat ban and won in a landslide.  He now has a 70% approval rating in Georgia.  Above water with every demo. 

When asked a singular question about abortion, you may get that response, but it’s likely way down the list on what they care about.  

As someone who’s lived up north and down south, the abortion debate is vastly different for that reason - energy. 

Edited by SCBills

8 minutes ago, SCBills said:

It only became “self segregation” when a state like Florida is doing it.

New York has been openly hostile to conservatives.  Causing so many to leave and the ones who have stayed behind, perpetually angry.  

Im from Long Island.. when I tell you the level of hate Irish and Italians on Long Island have for the Democrat politicians they live under..  they’ve done the best they can in electing Republicans in almost every LI jurisdiction until the Santos fiasco (which also includes Queens) but they still have to live under Dem rule due to NYC .. or leave .. and Kathy Hochul has basically told them to do as much. 

I never felt that way growing up in wny as an R in a conservative family. I don’t recall open hostility based on politics. Perhaps both sides are to blame but the current iteration of the R party is much less civil than I ever recall. 

Edited by Joe Ferguson forever

32 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Do. Not. Care.

Nah. 

Black people aren’t leaving Florida because they know the NAACP is lying to them.  White liberals that want absolute filth in school libraries are the type that deems Florida uninhabitable now. 

Good. 

Dude whatever? If you wanna hate. Then go ahead, it’s a free country. I don’t live near the falls so I don’t know what they did. I wouldn’t be into the gay pride crap either. I now them they ignore me. You wouldn’t have a problem in my area but I would rather you stay there in the ATL with all your hate. Don’t need that here either. 

5 minutes ago, 4th&long said:

Dude whatever? If you wanna hate. Then go ahead, it’s a free country. I don’t live near the falls so I don’t know what they did. I wouldn’t be into the gay pride crap either. I now them they ignore me. You wouldn’t have a problem in my area but I would rather you stay there in the ATL with all your hate. Don’t need that here either. 

“All my hate”

I noticed you attempted to engage with me on substance, realized you don’t have anything to retort with and then decided to go with character assassination. 

I get along just fine with plenty of Democrats in Georgia.  We differ on plenty, but most have a common sense of good and evil, right and wrong. 

It’s about standing up for what you believe in.  It’s why Buckhead had to threaten to secede from Atlanta until they dropped progressive policies they tried to implement.  And I’m thankful that I live in an area that has some sense and wants to protect their citizens. 

I live in a Democrat city but at least we have normal Democrats and a conservative Governor.

When I meet leftists who throw up ACAB, pro-Hamas, support Antifa … shocking… they are hardly ever from the South.   How they ended up in Atlanta, I’ll never know .. but I’m hopeful Kemp will follow DeSantis lead and implement policies that send them to Portland.