Local shops that help you pick out your outfit?

Einstein

16 minutes ago, Einstein said:

do you know his name of the name of the shop?

the one i'm referring to is in rochester, and it was adrian jules, and my guy was peter roberti.  it looks like they've moved, and i know they still to private tailoring, but the guy i once worked with is apparently retired.  i know they have a factory business too that sells nicer rack suits.  i haven't purchased anything from them in years, but it was worth the drive back in the day.  

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, teef said:

the one i'm referring to is in rochester, and it was adrian jules, and my guy was peter roberti.  it looks like they've moved, and i know they still to private tailoring, but the guy i once worked with is apparently retired.  i know they have a factory business too that sells nicer rack suits.  i haven't purchased anything from them in years, but it was worth the drive back in the day.  

I used to hit the Hickey Freeman factory outlet on charming Avenue D back in the day.  Its crazy that such high end suits are made in humble Rochester.

3 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

I used to hit the Hickey Freeman factory outlet on charming Avenue D back in the day.  Its crazy that such high end suits are made in humble Rochester.

i think they're moving out of the area actually.  a few weeks ago, someone tried to smash and grab the hickey freeman outlet.  i don't think they managed to get away with anything.  

3 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

I too am not a clothes horse and have made several purchases at Men's Warehouse. Imo they sell great stuff but to me they are quite expensive. :) And yes, they were very helpful.

I dont think Men's Wearhouse is expensive.  But they Are overpriced.   Like 20 years ago when Audi decided to sell the same cars as the previous year, but at 20K more, so people would think that Audi was now comparable to mercedes or bmw.

For men's fashion, I also suck at it.  I agree about the best dressed salesman.

My sister gave me advice 25 years ago.  she was tired of complaining to me and our mother that i was embarassing the family.  She majored in Fashion Merchandising and Marketing.

-the belt matches the shoes

-the socks match the pants

-always stand up straight.  (dont care if people think you are arrogant.  You must think like  a model.  You are displaying clothes that happen to be on your body)

-never ever ever check yourself out, when passing a mirror or anything reflective.

-Never look down at yourself.  So much that at somepoint during the day, you actually forget what you are wearing.  And when you forget, Still dont check yourself out

-Men have a habit of sucking in the gut and standing a little straighter when an attractive woman walks by.   This should remind you that you have already violated 2 rules:  you are not standing straight already, and you are checking yourself out by making sure you look as good as possible

-a pocket square should be neat and understated.   Square.  not triangle.

-if the tie is not 100% silk, do not wear it.  It will not hold the knot correctly throughout the day.

-if you are going to splurge on any one item, it must be the shoes.  Because even other men will check out your shoes.  The shoes show your economic stratum more than anything else.  because it is the one area that a lesser man will cut corners on, thinking that nobody will notice.  And ALL women will notice your shoes (which is why they all have at least 50 pairs)

Edited by maddenboy
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, maddenboy said:

I dont think Men's Wearhouse is expensive.  But they Are overpriced.   Like 20 years ago when Audi decided to sell the same cars as the previous year, but at 20K more, so people would think that Audi was now comparable to mercedes or bmw.

For men's fashion, I also suck at it.  I agree about the best dressed salesman.

My sister gave me advice 25 years ago.  she was tired of complaining to me and our mother that i was embarassing the family.  She majored in Fashion Merchandising and Marketing.

-the belt matches the shoes

-the socks match the pants

-always stand up straight.  (dont care if people think you are arrogant.  You must think like  a model.  You are displaying clothes that happen to be on your body)

-never ever ever check yourself out, when passing a mirror or anything reflective.

-Never look down at yourself.  So much that at somepoint during the day, you actually forget what you are wearing.  And when you forget, Still dont check yourself out

-Men have a habit of sucking in the gut and standing a little straighter when an attractive woman walks by.   This should remind you that you have already violated 2 rules:  you are not standing straight already, and you are checking yourself out by making sure you look as good as possible

-a pocket square should be neat and understated.   Square.  not triangle.

-if the tie is not 100% silk, do not wear it.  It will not hold the knot correctly throughout the day.

-if you are going to splurge on any one item, it must be the shoes.  Because even other men will check out your shoes.  The shoes show your economic stratum more than anything else.  because it is the one area that a lesser man will cut corners on, thinking that nobody will notice.  And ALL women will notice your shoes (which is why they all have at least 50 pairs)

Sound advice

I will add that wearing the appropriate undergarments is appropriate. A wife beater shouldn't show lines through. An undershirt should not exceed the trim of a shirt in any area (unless youre doing 90's fashion with a polo and frost tip hair).

A belt should never be all the way tight or lose. It should pass the first loop by an inch or so.

The watch should be kept clean if it is a polished material.

A ball cap cannot be worn with proper dress attire. Ever. Unless you're being drafted or a child.

A new one I learned is do not carry your cell phone in the breast pocket of a suit. It makes the suit behave poorly and.

18 hours ago, Gugny said:

I’m smart enough to pick out my own clothes. 

Must be my high IQ. 

🤷‍♂️

Do you think he really needs help getting dressed? Or did he just want to share with everyone in a dedicated thread that he’s been asked to speak at an event in Vegas? He admits to already having a standard set of suits, so it sounds like he’s got the necessary clothes unless he’s going more for a Liberace or Elton look for, you know….Vegas? 

It makes me wonder what the topic is.  I’m guessing he’s not conducting a fashion seminar! It could be a LAMP symposium? 

• Haha (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, Augie said:

Do you think he really needs help getting dressed? Or did he just want to share with everyone in a dedicated thread that he’s been asked to speak at an event in Vegas? He admits to already having a standard set of suits, so it sounds like he’s got the necessary clothes unless he’s going more for a Liberace or Elton look for, you know….Vegas? 

It makes me wonder what the topic is.  I’m guessing he’s not conducting a fashion seminar! It could be a LAMP symposium? 

He probably has arkyteks for neighbors too. Pretty sure youtube could have been more helpfull than what is going on here.

7 hours ago, teef said:

the guys i once went to were the roberti brothers that owned adrian jules.  they were on monroe ave too in the area of wegmans, but it was the pittsford area.  i looked at the website today just to see, and they've since moved, the kids took it over, etc.  the brothers knew their stuff.  expensive, but if you wanted something nice, it was the place to go.  i still wear a couple of jackets and shirts that are about 10 years old plus.  i was actually able to meet tony dungy at his shop once.  he made all of dungy's suits, along with a number of other guys in the nfl, (he had just made one for ed reed that last time i was there).  

Ah … the Family Jules. 

I know them well. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

You must have a superior IQ to ask a bunch of guys who wear camo cargo shorts and crocs for fashion advice. Best case scenario you come out looking like Charlie Sheen in 2 and a Half Men. 

I have never worn camo cargo shorts or crocs.  Now, I may have, one time, in high school, worn camo pants with a Hawaiian shirt, but never camo cargo shorts. That's just tacky. 

6 minutes ago, Just Jack said:

I have never worn camo cargo shorts or crocs.  Now, I may have, one time, in high school, worn camo pants with a Hawaiian shirt, but never camo cargo shorts. That's just tacky. 

I can’t believe the camo pants and Hawaiian shirt thing never took off. It’s mystifying!

Did you wear that outfit addressing the student body as Class Valedictorian? 

8 hours ago, boyst said:

Sound advice

I will add that wearing the appropriate undergarments is appropriate. A wife beater shouldn't show lines through. An undershirt should not exceed the trim of a shirt in any area (unless youre doing 90's fashion with a polo and frost tip hair).

A belt should never be all the way tight or lose. It should pass the first loop by an inch or so.

The watch should be kept clean if it is a polished material.

A ball cap cannot be worn with proper dress attire. Ever. Unless you're being drafted or a child.

A new one I learned is do not carry your cell phone in the breast pocket of a suit. It makes the suit behave poorly and.

check.  check.  and check.    Well stated

for the belts, if its too long, take it to a shoe repair shop.   They specialize in leather work.  Or better yet, if you're thin and most belts you have or purchase are too big, be sure to buy one that is real leather, or else one that will still look okay after it is cut to size. 

6 hours ago, Augie said:

I can’t believe the camo pants and Hawaiian shirt thing never took off. It’s mystifying!

Did you wear that outfit addressing the student body as Class Valedictorian? 

I wear Hawaiian shirts all the time in the summer but I also wore leisure suits and track suits as a kid growing up in the 1970’s and Miami Vice look pastels in the 1980’s and neon in the 1990’s. My fashion clothes range is all over the place because of the times I personally grew up in. That is why I wear what I want and don’t care what others might think. Because I am the best that’s the attitude aloha in my opinion. Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo 

5 hours ago, I am leaving for good said:

I wear Hawaiian shirts all the time in the summer but I also wore leisure suits and track suits as a kid growing up in the 1970’s and Miami Vice look pastels in the 1980’s and neon in the 1990’s. My fashion clothes range is all over the place because of the times I personally grew up in. That is why I wear what I want and don’t care what others might think. Because I am the best that’s the attitude aloha in my opinion. Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo 

My compliments for a funny, original screen name.  In fact, I'm going to place that particular handle in my top 10 all time TSW screen names. 

Bravo!

On 6/26/2023 at 9:44 PM, Einstein said:

I have been invited to speak at an upcoming conference in Las Vegas, but I must admit that fashion and style are not my areas of expertise. Can you suggest any local shops or boutiques where I can find assistance in creating a stylish ensemble? All I have right now is the office-standard mix of blue/black/brown suits.

When you say "local" do you mean WNY? 

I thought you were out in the Pacific NW for some reason.

My best advice would be to go to Toronto (don't even bother with Buffalo) where you will have all you need and more.  If you want to make it simple, go to Harry Rosen's and grab whoever looks stylish and have them help you pick out a look for your speaking engagement.  But it will be expensive. However, remember, as with ALL THINGS, you get what you pay for.  One really nice suit is worth 10 crap suits.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.