Buffalo Sabres and NHL 2023-2024

Draconator

1 hour ago, Turk71 said:

2-0 Sabres

Keep it going

Now 3-3 it's anybodies  hockey game.  I missed the end  of 2nd period,  Upcoming third. 

Lets Go Sabres.  a win here is very doable.

1 minute ago, muppy said:

oof

4 goal lead is a beat down and Sabres collapse in the third period. 7-3

SMH

It's been over for awhile. KA needs to trade some assets in the offseason for a two way 3C that can win faceoffs, and a top 6 RW with grit. A veteran backup goalie would be nice, too, because Levi needs more seasoning before he can form a tandem with UPL. 

I don't think Granato is the answer, but the real problem is Terry Pegula, unfortunately. He needs to step back and let hockey people make decisions.

And not be cheap on the Sabres. If he hadn't marshalled the longest playoff drought ineptitude in NHL history, the coffers wouldn't be so bare.

There's enough talent and prospects to finally be good, if you make the right moves. It would require some risk and creativity. I think they likely run it back and continue to chase Pegula rainbows. Fella thinks he can build an exciting Euro team that is all offense and speed, and win that way. You can't. I'm glad he bought the Bills and Sabres, and kept them in Buffalo, but what he's done to the Sabres is truly dispiriting. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

24 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

It's been over for awhile. KA needs to trade some assets in the offseason for a two way 3C that can win faceoffs, and a top 6 RW with grit. A veteran backup goalie would be nice, too, because Levi needs more seasoning before he can form a tandem with UPL. 

I don't think Granato is the answer, but the real problem is Terry Pegula, unfortunately. He needs to step back and let hockey people make decisions.

And not be cheap on the Sabres. If he hadn't marshalled the longest playoff drought ineptitude in NHL history, the coffers wouldn't be so bare.

There's enough talent and prospects to finally be good, if you make the right moves. It would require some risk and creativity. I think they likely run it back and continue to chase Pegula rainbows. Fella thinks he can build an exciting Euro team that is all offense and speed, and win that way. You can't. I'm glad he bought the Bills and Sabres, and kept them in Buffalo, but what he's done to the Sabres is truly dispiriting.

Well said

They definitely need change on multiple levels. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Dr. Who said:

I'm glad he bought the Bills and Sabres, and kept them in Buffalo, but what he's done to the Sabres is truly dispiriting. 

I think this is a very common attitude, but I'm not like that.  The Sabres are not even operating as a real, competitive, professionally run NHL organization.  If we are going to be a perpetual irrelevancy, move the team.  What's the loss?

Hockey is nothing close to the game I fell in love with as a kid anyway.  Much more boring product IMO.

Just finished watching us quit in the 3rd period of the Oilers game.  We're a long way from being a solid hockey team.

I think Granato has to go at this point, but he will NOT go.

If he's around next year, you'll know it's still business as usual in Sabre land.

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Hockey is nothing close to the game I fell in love with as a kid anyway.  Much more boring product IMO.

Same here....the French Connection, Don Luce and his backhands & shorthanded goals, Gerry Meehan knocking the Flyers out of the playoffs in 1972 with a weak shot from basically the blue line, Workman Jim Lorentz, Danny Gare the Sniper, the Fog game with the Flyers in 1975, Korab & Schoenfeld on the back line..."Have another donut, you fat pig" (said to referee Don Koharski), and real fights.

Sadly, just like most everything else in today's world, the NHL was way better 40-50 years ago.

• Eyeroll 2

8 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

I think this is a very common attitude, but I'm not like that.  The Sabres are not even operating as a real, competitive, professionally run NHL organization.  If we are going to be a perpetual irrelevancy, move the team.  What's the loss?

Just finished watching us quit in the 3rd period of the Oilers game.  We're a long way from being a solid hockey team.

If he's around next year, you'll know it's still business as usual in Sabre land.

its confusing for sure. By all account the sabres were TP baby. Im not sure what changed or what happened. When he took over there was such a priority to listening to fans and arena experiences. We chased big names in free agency/trade and in front office/head coach. Then, poof, it all went away. I get the Bills are the focus and the true money maker and now the sabres are the red-headed step child. I have no idea why they have not tried to get a real president of hockey ops in here to right this ship. 

9 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

What era did you grow up with?

1 hour ago, zevo said:

its confusing for sure. By all account the sabres were TP baby. Im not sure what changed or what happened. When he took over there was such a priority to listening to fans and arena experiences. We chased big names in free agency/trade and in front office/head coach. Then, poof, it all went away. I get the Bills are the focus and the true money maker and now the sabres are the red-headed step child. I have no idea why they have not tried to get a real president of hockey ops in here to right this ship. 

Because, for some reason Pegula doesn’t trust career hockey people (it was reported on after Botterill was fired). I have no idea why. He’s never even hired anyone experienced… 🤦‍♂️

11 hours ago, Dr. Who said:

yeah, it’s been over since before the trade deadline. Even when they were “3 points out” it was a mirage because the team in front of them had like 3 games in hand on Buffalo.

Honestly though, I’m kind of glad they won’t just miss the playoffs by a couple points. Last year that was used as an excuse not to make any meaningful changes or additions. Hopefully they are going to be forced to make real changes this offseason.

Unfortunately, I think the change that is needed most (firing Granato) won’t happen. His new contract extension doesn’t even start until next season 😢

Im at least hoping for new assistant coaches. I don’t like rooting for people to be fired. But I just want this team to be good again.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

i am getting so sick of reading comments like this after players leave Buffalo.

Paul Maurice said something similar about Okposo not being used to the way Florida practices. That they do it much different than in Buffalo.

We've been hearing this for years now, going back to previous coaches and GMs. I remember Marcus Foligno saying something similar when he was traded to Minnesota. And Reinhart to Florida. And ROR to STL. And Eichel to Vegas.

Maybe it’s time to get a real, experienced NHL coach for once? 

Edited by BillsFan4
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, zevo said:

I have no idea why they have not tried to get a real president of hockey ops in here to right this ship. 

Drives me insane. They so desperately need a President with decades of front office experience.

I'm really glad that some of you still care.  I love hockey just as much as football.  You've seen a lot of opinions about who should have been hired and who should have not been hired. Was pegula lucky with the bills and not with the sabres you could easily say that I don't know maybe I do. I just wish for success for both teams and it really hurts the Sabres are not that good right now,  ugh

Edited by jayg

Mar 24 2024

🏒 Buffalo Sabres @ Calgary Flames

6:00 PM - 9:00 PM PDT

Scotiabank Saddledome

It's  still Sabres hockey. a win would be great but playoffs meh not happening oh well

So this thing with a bunch of the players still having their feelings hurt about the crowd booing doesn’t seem to be going away. If this is truly the case they need to blow this whole thing up again. I’d even go a step further and just really hope TP ultimately sellls the team and let what happens after that happen. If they are moved then so be it. Quite honestly hockey has been dead to me since the the briere/drury team. that was truly a special time in this cities history where everyone was connected and emotionally engaged with the players on this team. I wish for that again but it doesn’t seem likely that this is the team it’s going to happen with. The word “soft” comes to mind. Oh well.

• Like (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, zevo said:

So this thing with a bunch of the players still having their feelings hurt about the crowd booing doesn’t seem to be going away. If this is truly the case they need to blow this whole thing up again. I’d even go a step further and just really hope TP ultimately sellls the team and let what happens after that happen. If they are moved then so be it. Quite honestly hockey has been dead to me since the the briere/drury team. that was truly a special time in this cities history where everyone was connected and emotionally engaged with the players on this team. I wish for that again but it doesn’t seem likely that this is the team it’s going to happen with. The word “soft” comes to mind. Oh well.

Well if YOU don’t really care about hockey then sure move the team.  Because who cares if someone else has a different opinion.  

50 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

Well if YOU don’t really care about hockey then sure move the team.  Because who cares if someone else has a different opinion.  

Yeppers that’s my opinion. Thanks for acknowledging it 😉

2 hours ago, zevo said:

So this thing with a bunch of the players still having their feelings hurt about the crowd booing doesn’t seem to be going away.

Who is still complaining?

2 hours ago, zevo said:

Just another symptom of what ails this team. They’re soft. Charmin level soft.  Led by a soft coach and front office. If they’re still boohooing over the mean old fans, they need to look in the mirror. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1