WNY golfers - PGA/LPGA/Men’s Seniors Question?

LabattBlue

24 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Are there any Buffalo area courses worthy of any of these 3 tours? I can’t ever remember it being written or talked about in the Buffalo media over the last few decades?

Yea craig burn

east aurora CC

and probably country club of buffalo

The latter literally is for the richest and most affluent only in Buffalo… But I assume it’s gorgeous

Oak Hill in Rochester is getting the US open

east aurora CC hosts the international jr masters yearly

Edited by Buffalo716

5 minutes ago, teef said:

i personally don't know of any.  oak hill is its own situation.  i thought i heard that it's the only course to hold every major, (except the ones at the same course every year).  

Donald Ross who built Oak Hill

Build the country club of Buffalo

Which is about $100,000 to join… Invite only

And 50,000 a year

And you have to spend a minimum At the country club per year

They could Probably turn it into a tournament course fairly easily

Edited by Buffalo716

3 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Donald Ross who built Oak Hill

Build the country club of Buffalo

Which is about $100,000 to join… Invite only

And 50,000 a year

And you have to spend a minimum At the country club per year

They could Probably turn it into a tournament course fairly easily

my understanding is that the course at oak hill is unique and difficult.  very long narrow fairways, and typically for tournaments the have a 6 inch rough.

i'm not sure what the fees are now. years ago when i started working, i was invited to be a member.  i think i was 30, so i could sign up for a junior membership.  i believe it was 35k, and 70k if you were over 35.  you could pay it off over time.  it must be closer to 100k, but i'm not sure.  i don't golf so it was never financially worth it, but i'm there all time with family, friends and coworkers.  are you sure ccb cost 50k a year?  that sounds way steep.  you certainly pay a fee every year, and on top of that you pay for drinks, gold, dinner etc.  i can't imagine someone paying 50k a year, and then spending on top of it.

over the past few years oak hill has let a lot more members in.  i think they needed the income, and they started to fall out of grace with the younger members.  they kept strict rules that just didn't give.  i was even told by one of my friends that it wasn't "special" to be a member anymore, for which i busted his balls without mercy.  now i think membership is closed.

40 minutes ago, teef said:

my understanding is that the course at oak hill is unique and difficult.  very long narrow fairways, and typically for tournaments the have a 6 inch rough.

i'm not sure what the fees are now. years ago when i started working, i was invited to be a member.  i think i was 30, so i could sign up for a junior membership.  i believe it was 35k, and 70k if you were over 35.  you could pay it off over time.  it must be closer to 100k, but i'm not sure.  i don't golf so it was never financially worth it, but i'm there all time with family, friends and coworkers.  are you sure ccb cost 50k a year?  that sounds way steep.  you certainly pay a fee every year, and on top of that you pay for drinks, gold, dinner etc.  i can't imagine someone paying 50k a year, and then spending on top of it.

over the past few years oak hill has let a lot more members in.  i think they needed the income, and they started to fall out of grace with the younger members.  they kept strict rules that just didn't give.  i was even told by one of my friends that it wasn't "special" to be a member anymore, for which i busted his balls without mercy.  now i think membership is closed.

💯 % country club of Buffalo is the most prestigious 

Only the richest people in Western New York are members there…

My friend worked there and he said it’s 50-60k initiation now so I was high 

And around 20k a year in fees 

crag burn is 15-20k a year plus initiation… And that’s considered the best players course

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1

Peek N Peak is another WNY course that I think would be considered tournament worthy.  They used to host an annual amateur tourney there but not sure if that's still going.

Guess I will use this thread to throw it out there any board members going to Oak Hill this week? I'll be attending Thursday 

I've played Craig Burn, but not east aurora. And Oak Hill East & West. East is the course that the championship is played on. East is an amazing course. Craig Burn is great, but frankly it doesn't hold up to Oak Hill East. It's on another level. And it isn't a tricked-up course with small landing areas and stupid greens. It is genuinely a well-designed course where the difficulty is more subtle. Every part of your game must be good to put up a good score.

For example:

1. Subtle undulations in the fairway that make some shots more difficult than they look. Sometimes you'll have a mildly downhill lie that make holding the green more difficult than you'd expect. 

2. The rough is thick and unyielding. Even during non-tournament play. Think you are going to hit a 7-iron out of the rough and reach the green? Don't be stupid. Hit a pitching wedge or you might not get out.

3. The greens are pristine, but if you think you can read the subtle breaks you are dumb. Fantastic course that rewards good putters.

4. Not a ton of trees any more, but if you are off the fairway, the lie is so difficult you are pitching out.

5. The sand is incredible. I'm a good sand player, but the level of precision you need out of that sand is unreal.

5. Donald Ross loved false fronts and optical illusions on the green. There's a common phrase among Rochester golfers: "Damn you Donald Ross!"

6. The course maintenance is like nothing I've ever seen. I remember driving in one day (I was playing the West Course - another Ross design that is wonderful) and remember seeing about 4 workers plucking small pebbles out of a sand trap (on the east course). The maintenance budget must be spectacular. The course is perfect.

I don't do many things well, but I'm an OK golfer. When I played Oak Hill East the last time, I think I was a 6 handicap. I didn't break 90, and I felt good about how I played that day! Normally I'd be pissed not breaking 90. 

Regarding why there aren't tournaments in Buffalo - I don't know. I will say that Rochester and Buffalo grew up as very different cities. Rochester was a more white collar city, and therefore the golf courses are made to appeal to a different audience. Donald Ross courses in Rochester: 1. Monroe Golf Club (pittsford, same as Oak Hill), 2&3. Oak Hill East & West, 4. Irondequoit CC (right next to Oak Hill and my second favorite course in the city), 5. Brook Lea, 6. Country Club of Rochester (Brighton, very close to Oak Hill). To prove my point, that's 6 Donald Ross courses in a 10 mile radius, and 5 within a stone's throw.

Add to that the Robert Trent Jones courses: 1. Midvale Country Club - his first design and it is pretty cool. I've played there a lot, 2. Bristol Harbor (temporarily closed, and stupidly adulterated over the years) but the back 9 was just fantastic, Durand Eastman (a cool muni course that has also been stupidly adulterated). Three Robert Trent Jones courses. 

And then there's Locust Hill, long time LPGA tournament held there. I've played Locust many times, and it is not my favorite because the par 5s are short and easy. But still, a well-regarded course.

Plus there are other great courses in Rochester. My home course - Mendon Golf Club - has been host to multiple US Open qualifiers. And it doesn't rank up there with the others I mentioned, but still a fantastic course. Sodus (Jones used to be head pro there!) and Stafford to name a few. Greystone is a tremendous public course. Ridgemont is pretty good despite the infuriatingly small greens.

I guess what I'm saying is that Rochester is a better golfing city than Buffalo. Different population, different priorities, different history. If I'm right, Buffalo has one Ross course and one Jones course. That's a far cry from Rochester's golf history.

But other than golf, Rochester's professional sporting history doesn't compare to Buffalo. Not even close. Rochester has golf & soccer. Buffalo has everything else!

Obviously, I'm a total golf nut. I'll be at the PGA Championship on Friday and maybe Sunday decked out in my Bills golf gear. I fully expect to see Josh, Eric Wood, Steve Tasker and probably others as spectators. Rumor is Josh is a member at Oak Hill. GO BILLS!

Edited by todd
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, BillsPride12 said:

Peek N Peak is another WNY course that I think would be considered tournament worthy.  They used to host an annual amateur tourney there but not sure if that's still going.

Guess I will use this thread to throw it out there any board members going to Oak Hill this week? I'll be attending Thursday 

I like Peak N Peak, but I'm not sure it is considered tournament worthy. It is definitely Todd worthy, though! I like it. Picturesque.

2 hours ago, teef said:

Oh, Oak Hill is special for sure. It is just that Rochester has so damn many great private golf courses that the competition is fierce. I hear CCR is even more expensive than Oak Hill to join. Back in the day, each course had a specific clientele. Oak was for WASPs. CCR was for Catholics. Irondequoit (god i love that course) was for Jewish folks. Things, unfortunately, were pretty segregated in the early 1900s when they were all built. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, todd said:

I've played Craig Burn, but not east aurora. And Oak Hill East & West. East is the course that the championship is played on. East is an amazing course. Craig Burn is great, but frankly it doesn't hold up to Oak Hill East. It's on another level. And it isn't a tricked-up course with small landing areas and stupid greens. It is genuinely a well-designed course where the difficulty is more subtle. Every part of your game must be good to put up a good score.

For example:

1. Subtle undulations in the fairway that make some shots more difficult than they look. Sometimes you'll have a mildly downhill lie that make holding the green more difficult than you'd expect. 

2. The rough is thick and unyielding. Even during non-tournament play. Think you are going to hit a 7-iron out of the rough and reach the green? Don't be stupid. Hit a pitching wedge or you might not get out.

3. The greens are pristine, but if you think you can read the subtle breaks you are dumb. Fantastic course that rewards good putters.

4. Not a ton of trees any more, but if you are off the fairway, the lie is so difficult you are pitching out.

5. The sand is incredible. I'm a good sand player, but the level of precision you need out of that sand is unreal.

5. Donald Ross loved false fronts and optical illusions on the green. There's a common phrase among Rochester golfers: "Damn you Donald Ross!"

6. The course maintenance is like nothing I've ever seen. I remember driving in one day (I was playing the West Course - another Ross design that is wonderful) and remember seeing about 4 workers plucking small pebbles out of a sand trap (on the east course). The maintenance budget must be spectacular. The course is perfect.

I don't do many things well, but I'm an OK golfer. When I played Oak Hill East the last time, I think I was a 6 handicap. I didn't break 90, and I felt good about how I played that day! Normally I'd be pissed not breaking 90. 

Regarding why there aren't tournaments in Buffalo - I don't know. I will say that Rochester and Buffalo grew up as very different cities. Rochester was a more white collar city, and therefore the golf courses are made to appeal to a different audience. Donald Ross courses in Rochester: 1. Monroe Golf Club (pittsford, same as Oak Hill), 2&3. Oak Hill East & West, 4. Irondequoit CC (right next to Oak Hill and my second favorite course in the city), 5. Brook Lea, 6. Country Club of Rochester (Brighton, very close to Oak Hill). To prove my point, that's 6 Donald Ross courses in a 10 mile radius, and 5 within a stone's throw.

Add to that the Robert Trent Jones courses: 1. Midvale Country Club - his first design and it is pretty cool. I've played there a lot, 2. Bristol Harbor (temporarily closed, and stupidly adulterated over the years) but the back 9 was just fantastic, Durand Eastman (a cool muni course that has also been stupidly adulterated). Three Robert Trent Jones courses. 

And then there's Locust Hill, long time LPGA tournament held there. I've played Locust many times, and it is not my favorite because the par 5s are short and easy. But still, a well-regarded course.

Plus there are other great courses in Rochester. My home course - Mendon Golf Club - has been host to multiple US Open qualifiers. And it doesn't rank up there with the others I mentioned, but still a fantastic course. Sodus (Jones used to be head pro there!) and Stafford to name a few. Greystone is a tremendous public course.

I guess what I'm saying is that Rochester is a better golfing city than Buffalo. Different population, different priorities, different history. If I'm right, Buffalo has one Ross course and one Jones course. That's a far cry from Rochester's golf history.

But other than golf, Rochester's professional sporting history doesn't compare to Buffalo. Not even close. Rochester has golf & soccer. Buffalo has everything else!

Obviously, I'm a total golf nut. I'll be at the PGA Championship on Friday and maybe Sunday decked out in my Bills golf gear. I fully expect to see Josh, Eric Wood, Steve Tasker and probably others as spectators. Rumor is Josh is a member at Oak Hill. GO BILLS!

That was a good read, I enjoyed it.  Rochester golf definitely blows Buffalo golf away.  I don't have the access to play the private courses outside of a few here in WNY but even just judging by the public courses there's a huge difference in quality.  But I never really knew the backstory to why that is so once again thanks for some good insight.  Another awesome public course in the ROC area is Ravenwood!

I noticed you mentioned Bristol Harbor is temporarily closed??  Any backstory on that...I was under the impression it was permanently under as new ownership bought the property and wanted nothing to do with running a golf course.  

1 minute ago, BillsPride12 said:

That was a good read, I enjoyed it.  Rochester golf definitely blows Buffalo golf away.  I don't have the access to play the private courses outside of a few here in WNY but even just judging by the public courses there's a huge difference in quality.  But I never really knew the backstory to why that is so once again thanks for some good insight.  Another awesome public course in the ROC area is Ravenwood!

I noticed you mentioned Bristol Harbor is temporarily closed??  Any backstory on that...I was under the impression it was permanently under as new ownership bought the property and wanted nothing to do with running a golf course.  

Ravenwood is a decent design, but I hate the greens. The grass they used is really strange. And a couple holes are really dumb. Ravenwood is the reason I joined a private course. Was playing there one day with some buddies and the front 9 took two hours and 45 minutes. That's stupid. We got to the 10th hole and there were 3 foursomes waiting to tee off. We were headed for a six-hour round. We walked off the course into the pro shop and said we were quitting because it was so slow. They asked if we wanted a raincheck. Hell no! Joined Mendon the next day. Now I can tee off with my buddies at 7:30, walk 18 holes with my buddies in 3 1/2 hours, have a few beers and be home by noon. Golf is a walking sport, and anything over 4 hours is not acceptable. If you are riding a cart and can't finish in 4 hours, you are playing too slow. Or the course has too many people on it. 

A few courses in Rochester feel that the longer you are on the course, the more you spend on beer and food. Eagle Vale is another like that. I'll never play that dog track again.

Bristol Harbor was a part of a divorce dispute, according to what I've heard. I've driven by there a bunch of times and while it isn't open, they are still maintaining it at a subsistence level. Greens and fairways are mowed enough to keep it from becoming unrecoverable. All the buildings have been torn down, though. Really sad, because the lake views and location is fantastic. 

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, todd said:

Ravenwood is a decent design, but I hate the greens. The grass they used is really strange. And a couple holes are really dumb. Ravenwood is the reason I joined a private course. Was playing there one day with some buddies and the front 9 took two hours and 45 minutes. That's stupid. We got to the 10th hole and there were 3 foursomes waiting to tee off. We were headed for a six-hour round. We walked off the course into the pro shop and said we were quitting because it was so slow. They asked if we wanted a raincheck. Hell no! Joined Mendon the next day. Now I can tee off with my buddies at 7:30, walk 18 holes with my buddies in 3 1/2 hours, have a few beers and be home by noon. Golf is a walking sport, and anything over 4 hours is not acceptable. If you are riding a cart and can't finish in 4 hours, you are playing too slow. Or the course has too many people on it. 

A few courses in Rochester feel that the longer you are on the course, the more you spend on beer and food. Eagle Vale is another like that. I'll never play that dog track again.

Bristol Harbor was a part of a divorce dispute, according to what I've heard. I've driven by there a bunch of times and while it isn't open, they are still maintaining it at a subsistence level. Greens and fairways are mowed enough to keep it from becoming unrecoverable. All the buildings have been torn down, though. Really sad, because the lake views and location is fantastic. 

Just out of curiosity what courses do you like playing in WNY?

Grover Cleveland golf course on Main and Bailey (then the CC of Buffalo) hosted the 1912 US Open. The Park club hosted the 1934 PGA championship. Park has a famous designer, Colt and Alison, but would need to add 1000 yards to be reconsidered again. River Oaks on grand island is big time track designed by Desmond Muirhead who designed murfield village before Jack Nicklaus stole credit for it.  The great Sheridan park in Tonawanda with its insane back 9, hosted the 1962 United States public links championship. 

1 hour ago, todd said:

For example:

Plus there are other great courses in Rochester. My home course - Mendon Golf Club - has been host to multiple US Open qualifiers. And it doesn't rank up there with the others I mentioned, but still a fantastic course. Sodus (Jones used to be head pro there!) and Stafford to name a few. Greystone is a tremendous public course. Ridgemont is pretty good despite the infuriatingly small greens.

Wow!  Thanks for the history lesson on courses in Rochester. 👍🏻

33 minutes ago, Charles Romes said:

Grover Cleveland golf course on Main and Bailey (then the CC of Buffalo) hosted the 1912 US Open. The Park club hosted the 1934 PGA championship. Park has a famous designer, Colt and Alison, but would need to add 1000 yards to be reconsidered again. River Oaks on grand island is big time track designed by Desmond Muirhead who designed murfield village before Jack Nicklaus stole credit for it.  The great Sheridan park in Tonawanda with its insane back 9, hosted the 1962 United States public links championship. 

Oooh! Good information I did not know. Thank you!

54 minutes ago, BillsPride12 said:

Just out of curiosity what courses do you like playing in WNY?

So many! Public courses I like are Greystone. I used to like Shadow Pines before it closed. Genesee Valley is nostalgic for me because that's where I learned to play, so I'll play there any time. When I was growing up you could buy a season pass for $5 and then play $1 for greens fees as many times as you wanted to play. I like many of the holes at Durand. Bristol Harbour was very enjoyable. My guilty pleasure is Reservoir Creek in Naples. Such an odd layout but really fun! I'm sure there are others I'm forgetting, and others I've heard good things about but haven't played yet.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, todd said:

So many! Public courses I like are Greystone. I used to like Shadow Pines before it closed. Genesee Valley is nostalgic for me because that's where I learned to play, so I'll play there any time. When I was growing up you could buy a season pass for $5 and then play $1 for greens fees as many times as you wanted to play. I like many of the holes at Durand. Bristol Harbour was very enjoyable. My guilty pleasure is Reservoir Creek in Naples. Such an odd layout but really fun! I'm sure there are others I'm forgetting, and others I've heard good things about but haven't played yet.

Playing Greystone tomorrow! 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

So, CCoB members aren't necessarily looking into OTW for the best WNY wing specials? 🤔

Probably not 

unless you’re a member there and we can play a foursome of golf 

and I’ll bring wings 

2 hours ago, todd said:

For example:

So would you say crag burn is the best players course in Buffalo 

49 minutes ago, SUNY_amherst said:

Chautauqua Golf Club was built by Donald Ross who also built Oak Hill.

I think the lake course there is worthy of something as it is great quality and beautiful. I know they have college/amateur tournaments there.

Although recently a guy on the pro tour, Canadian, mid-level pro, can't remember his name, went there during Covid and shot something ridiculous like a 61. So maybe they would have to make it a little more difficult somehow

Mackenzie Hughes? 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Probably not 

unless you’re a member there and we can play a foursome of golf 

and I’ll bring wings 

So would you say crag burn is the best players course in Buffalo 

I don't know. I think I need to create a bigger sample size. 🙂 

13 hours ago, todd said:

Oh, Oak Hill is special for sure. It is just that Rochester has so damn many great private golf courses that the competition is fierce. I hear CCR is even more expensive than Oak Hill to join. Back in the day, each course had a specific clientele. Oak was for WASPs. CCR was for Catholics. Irondequoit (god i love that course) was for Jewish folks. Things, unfortunately, were pretty segregated in the early 1900s when they were all built. 

it's shocking how many good golf courses there are around here considering the short season.  even the public courses get high praise.  i'm not a golfer, but i know a number of people who love the webster and penfield courses.  victor hills serves a purpose.  if i'm not mistaken, ridgemont was redone.  there's never a shortage of places to play.  i've been to a lot of the private clubs not to golf, but for functions.  they all do a great job.

• Like (+1) 1

23 hours ago, teef said:

i personally don't know of any.  oak hill is its own situation.  i thought i heard that it's the only course to hold every major, (except the ones at the same course every year).  

Oak Hill has hosted the PGA Championship and the US Open. It has also hosted a Ryder Cup. Oak Hill is also notable as the site of one of Charles Coe's US Amateur titles.

For obvious reasons it has never hosted The British Open.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.