The Jets 2022 Defense

Big Blitz

1 hour ago, CincyBillsFan said:

This is not emphasized enough.  The Bills were at the one inch line with an undersized center going against a Vikings front line that was overloaded to stop a QB sneak.  Absolutely Allen should have been in the shotgun with the option to pick a hole to run into. Again, like "13 seconds" a big strategic failure by the Bills coaching brain trust at a critical moment in an important game.  A Bills win that day and they are home through the playoffs with a much needed one week break.

The goal line fumble never should have been able to happen in the first place. Vikings had a 4th and 18 at their own 27 with two minutes to go and our crap D couldn’t make a stop. 4th and 18! We stop that one play and it’s victory formation for the win instead of the sequence that followed. 

Edited by K-9
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

10 hours ago, 1ManRaid said:

Jets got the benefit of the refs letting Sauce get away with murder because the league wanted him to be a star.  Hopefully the novelty of the "rookie phenom" has worn off and they actually start calling penalties on him.

they're gonna do that with joey porter jr too.

48 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Chiefs OL was a Top 5 ranked OL last year, according to most who rank them .. and many considered them to be the 2nd best, behind only Philly.  

I understand that and not arguing against that.

But I just am not a believer that a great OL will always stop a great DL.  If that's the case, no reason invest in a DL to get after the QB because they will be rendered useless against a great OL.  

The difference was Mahomes.  If you put lets say a mid level QB like a Derek Carr or Kirk Cousins....they aren't putting up 38 on Philly even behind KC's offensive line.

40 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Like a lot of QB's make that and even worse throws when they don't see the defender.

I was in the stands for that game. There's NO way he didn't see him. Dude was like 15 yards ahead in the open field, no one between them

54 minutes ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

I was in the stands for that game. There's NO way he didn't see him. Dude was like 15 yards ahead in the open field, no one between them

So you're going with Allen intentionally threw that INT or that Allen just sucks?

1 hour ago, K-9 said:

The goal line fumble never should have been able to happen in the first place. Vikings had a 4th and 18 at their own 27 with two minutes to go and our crap D couldn’t make a stop. 4th and 18! We stop that one play and it’s victory formation for the win instead of the sequence that followed. 

Or if late in the 3rd quarter after going up 27 - 10 AT HOME the Bills didn't allow Cook to run off tackle for an 82 yard TD!

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

The defense gave up a horrible drive at the end. The offense had horrible drives all day. It wasn't 100% on Josh but that is a game that is Josh even plays average in we win going away. 

I would also argue that the defense giving up a 6 minute 75 yard TD drive at the end of the 1st half cutting the Bills lead from 14 - 3 to 14 - 10 was just as bad.  Stop the Jets for a 3 and out and give Allen and the Bills the ball again and the half likely ends 17 or even 21 to 3.

And don't forget that the Jets do have a very good defense and they were at home - two things that will frustrate an offense.  What was the Bills defenses excuse playing a bad Jet's offense quarterbacked by Zack Wilson?

9 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

I would also argue that the defense giving up a 6 minute 75 yard TD drive at the end of the 1st half cutting the Bills lead from 14 - 3 to 14 - 10 was just as bad.  Stop the Jets for a 3 and out and give Allen and the Bills the ball again and the half likely ends 17 or even 21 to 3.

And don't forget that the Jets do have a very good defense and they were at home - two things that will frustrate an offense.  What was the Bills defenses excuse playing a bad Jet's offense quarterbacked by Zack Wilson?

None. But they were not the main reason we lost. 

1 hour ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Or if late in the 3rd quarter after going up 27 - 10 AT HOME the Bills didn't allow Cook to run off tackle for an 82 yard TD!

There are any number of plays during the course of a game that we can look at, but some are far more egregious than others. Cook’s run didn’t win the game for them, it just made the game seven points closer with us still up 10 at the time. But our failure to prevent that 4th and 18 conversion with two minutes left directly prevented us from winning that game. 

15 hours ago, HaldimandBills said:

You're not wrong but ill say this. The Jets figured out the recipe to flat out dominate the Bills offense and the rest of the NFL followed that blue print for the remainder of the season. Bills were not the same after that Jets game. Maybe it had more to do with Allen partially tearing his UCL, but will never know. 

I had forgotten how many awful QBs the Jets played last season. That list is quite staggering.

AFC East schedule will be brutal this season. After the seeing the schedule release I like the Bills a lot more. That early season schedule gives the Bills a lot of run way to take a early division lead if they can capitalize on it.

I think Josh's injury was much worse than let on and dogged him for the rest of that game and all year after that game. The fact that the day after the season ended the Bills released a statement saying he would not require surgery tells you all you need to know. They downplayed his situation. Season ending surgery was quietly on the table all year but he was a gamer and played through. 

9 hours ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Their defense is good but not great.  Their O line is a shambles and now will have an immobile 40 year old behind it.  Two years ago Jacksonville with a rookie QB not playing well beat the Bills.  It's the NFL it happens.

Rogers probably makes the Jets better. My guess is that 7 - 10 goes up to 9 - 8 at best.  For the Jets to get to the 11 or 12 wins likely needed to win the division they have to add 4 or 5 wins.  And I don't see the Jets sweeping the Bills do you?

One thing i've learned in my decades of watching the NFL is that its impossible to predict the upcoming season. 

That being said, I find it improbable that the Jets only improve 1 game.

Why?

Because the Jets lost FIVE games where their defense gave up 20 or less points.  Rodgers (Packers) averaged 22 points per game last season.

If they have Rodgers led offense of 2022, the Jets would, in theory, have won 5 additional games. 

That's a big difference.

9 hours ago, Einstein said:

One thing i've learned in my decades of watching the NFL is that its impossible to predict the upcoming season. 

That being said, I find it improbable that the Jets only improve 1 game.

Why?

Because the Jets lost FIVE games where their defense gave up 20 or less points.  Rodgers (Packers) averaged 22 points per game last season.

If they have Rodgers led offense of 2022, the Jets would, in theory, have won 5 additional games. 

That's a big difference.

While I also find it improbable that they only improve one game if it were the Bills I know you would be saying "but look at the QBs they played last year!" They would need pretty good luck to be playing the Brett Rypien's and Skylar Thompson's of the world again in 2023. So while I think their offensive numbers are certain to improve, the likelihood is that there is a bit of a defensive regression. I still expect the Jets to have a top 10 defense and they are very good in the secondary - but I am not sure they will be at 18.6 points per game again this season, given that the entire AFE has a tougher looking schedule. 

The interesting thing for me with the Jets is their schedule is the opposite of the Bills. It is front loaded. Down the stretch I could imagine them winning their final 7 straight... but they could be 2-6 or 3-5 through their first 8 games. The big question is how would they deal with that? Would Rodgers mentally check out as we know he is prone to? Can Saleh keep the show on the road with the sword of damocles hanging over him? Who are the vet leaders who will bring the locker room together? If ther is a route to the Jets failing to meet expectation that is it.

Jets are no joke.  Either are the Dolphins.  The AFC East is the best conference in the NFL.  Winning the East will not be the cakewalk the Bills have had the past couple years.

That’s alright.  These Bills are bigger, faster, and tougher.  We can smash any team, on any game day. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.