RD 5, Pick 150: WR Justin Shorter, Florida

Chandler#81

36 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Gar Heard and Mac-Atrue.   Love it!  Thanks.  

I had left Buffalo by the time the Braves arrived, so I never followed them all that closely.  Until just now, I'd forgotten that Dantley played there.   

Every time I'm reminded of McAdoo, I'm amazed that a player could have been THAT far ahead of his time.   I mean, Iverson would have been incredible in the 2023 NBA, but he was only 20 years ago.   McAdoo was 50 years ago!!!  He'd be as great today as he was then. 

McAdoo was his generations Kevin Durant... limitless range from outside, could put the ball on the floor and attack the rim, long, smooth, wingspan, excellent shot blocker. Seven years of his career was before the 3 point line so he didn't really cash in on that.

20 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

It's rather difficult to make a pun out of DiGregorio.

Yeah, I quickly gave up too.

6 minutes ago, Ralonzo said:

Did you catch either of Moses Malone's games?

That was a proverbial cup of coffee wasn't it?

I remember being so excited for the one week he was here.

Dantley was only 6'5" but his ballast allowed him to be dominant down low... similar to Barkley but not as athletic, similar also to Mark Aguirre but not as tall. Excellent scorer.

Malone dominated down low too but of course he had the height that Dantley did not.

And of course Randy Smith (RIP) and the awesome 6th man, The Mad Bomber Jack Marin.

18 minutes ago, Ralonzo said:

Did you catch either of Moses Malone's games?

😄No - but I might have his autograph (as visiting player) somewhere.  If we got there early we used to go down by the tunnel where the players came out (no security that I remember) - sometimes visiting players would be just hanging out sitting in the stands - and we'd walk up and talk to them and get autographs.  One time towards the end we actually saw John Y Brown and asked him about the team moving and he lied (to children!) and said no not moving.  Lying POS.

Did I say I loved the Braves.  Those game days - the freezing walk from the parking spot under some bridge my Dad used to park for free, entering the bustling Aud lobby, the excited walk up the ramps to the Orange...  When I was in 7th grade my grade school team played at halftime one game :) 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, stevewin said:

😄No - but I might have his autograph (as visiting player) somewhere.  If we got there early we used to go down by the tunnel where the players came out (no security that I remember) - sometimes visiting players would be just hanging out sitting in the stands - and we'd walk up and talk to them and get autographs.  One time towards the end we actually saw John Y Brown and asked him about the team moving and he lied (to children!) and said no not moving.  Lying POS.

Did I say I loved the Braves.  Those game days - the freezing walk from the parking spot under some bridge my Dad used to park for free, entering the bustling Aud lobby, the excited walk up the ramps to the Orange...  When I was in 7th grade my grade school team played at halftime one game :) 

I remember those ramps!   Hadn't thought of them 50 years.  Thanks!

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, stevewin said:

One more reminder:

Memories > Things 

• Like (+1) 1

• Simon unpinned this topic
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Good article on Shorter, published May 21:

https://buffalonews.com/sports/bills/why-bills-believe-former-no-1-high-school-recruit-justin-shorter-has-our-kind-of/article_49f13298-f64b-11ed-a958-3f346d7015e5.html

Highlights:

High school coach: "We would have early-morning workouts, 7 a.m. or whatever it was, and they would come an hour early, just to be on the JUGS machine. He was constantly working his craft. It just blossomed. He gained that confidence.”

Played special teams since high school. McDermott drools; some of you roll your eyes. I think that's pretty cool for a beastly player who would go on to be ranked by ESPN and others as the number 1 WR high school recruit in the country. A lot of top WRs are divas but he doesn't seem to have that attitude.

Shorter now on playing with the Bills: “I'm so big, if we go one-on-one, it's going to be hard for you to guard me when I'm all up in your space, being physical, being fast, being strong. It gets scary. I'm trusting that," he said. "Every day I go out there, I'm going to catch the ball, I'm going to finish in the end zone every time I touch the ball. I'm just going to give it 100% and just take strides and get better and better every day, because at the end, that's the ultimate goal – to help this team win.”

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

On 5/2/2023 at 8:44 PM, MrEpsYtown said:

For me it is the 5 star recruit thing, combined with the measurables, plus the inconsistent coaching he got at Florida. There just seems to be more there. I don’t think this is the run of the mill type of fifth rounder. 

Diggs’ story is similar, though he is obviously not the same type of receiver size wise and style. But he was a 5 star recruit, winds up in a very up and down situation at Maryland, deals with injuries and just has a really inconsistent career. Goes in the 5th despite a strong combine. 

I am not saying Shorter is going to be Diggs, but there is more to the story with Shorter and that’s why he is so interesting to me. 

Yeah the Florida QBs the last 2 years were completely inconsistent and there weren’t many opportunities for big receiving games unless passes turned into big plays.  That’s why it is so headscratching that Richardson was drafted so high.  I watched every game and he just had no rhythm as a passer and was easily rattled to the point that they needed to count on running if they were going to have a chance.  So I think Shorter with good QB play and good coaching will have an opportunity to show why he was ab5 star recruit because the only year he played with a decent QB was Trask and Pitts and Toney were the two main options back then. 

• Agree 1

I like his skill set.  From day 1 he plays all special teams.  More importantly the 10 or so offensive snaps that Kumerow or Jon Brown provided he can do both roles.  He is a big body to block and spell Davis like Kumerow.  He also possess the ability to get deep and could make a handful of big plays.  He is a 5th rder for a reason.  He is a project but has ability to play immediately with a specific role.  Anything more than that is how he takes advantage of his opportunities.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.