Idle Speculation on who will be the Bills Pick at #59

Chaos

On scenario 1, it's clear they see Kincaid as a different position from Knox -  a move TE v. an inline TE.  They will complement each other. So not a hurt feelings issue or redundancy like drafting a RT might be.

The gaping hole at ILB is too much to ignore if Sanders or Simpson drop. I can't believe Jack Campbell went top 20

5 hours ago, MasterStrategist said:

1. MLB: what do they plan here?  Young players on the roster, 3rd round pick LY.  But unproven.  To me, this is highest need, but they could get creative with rotating players.

2. RT: what do they truly think of Spencer? Tonight will tell us alot about that confidence.  I'm cautiously optimistic on him.

3. DT: were running it back with the same crew, so it appears. But, I think a talented 1-tech could be a key missing piece.  Take more pressure off drafting a MLB as well. Daquan is our only true 1, and nobody under contract after this season.

4. DE: same as above, running it back.  I'm not a fan of Aje or Boogie, we could use another "speed/bend" rusher...and with Von coming off an ACL, this ranks high on my list of potential immediate impact

5. WR: drafting Kincaid doesn't stop us from adding more here.  But we have a solid group, could look for a true slot...ie: Downs or Jayden Reed.  But there's only 1 ball to distribute, and Shakir could turn into our future slot.

6. IOL: another area we have alot of "depth", and spent on Connor this FA.  I'm not as big a fan of Bates, but I have a different philosophy with my guards (rather see mauler types and tackles that are finesse).  I'd love to see us take an IOL tonight.

All this said, if I'm Beane, tonight is spent on trenches.  Specifically, an IOL (that could also compete at RT) and a 1-tech DT.  

Are they willing to bet the health of the franchise player on him performing?  There has to be a contingency plan in place.  Otherwise, then what?  We just have to deal with a huge liability there for the season?  

They can hope all they want, but it will become apparent pretty quickly once the season starts if this healing time and training camp we were told was all he needed is actually the case.  

2 minutes ago, Billz4ever said:

Are they willing to bet the health of the franchise player on him performing?  There has to be a contingency plan in place.  Otherwise, then what?  We just have to deal with a huge liability there for the season?  

They can hope all they want, but it will become apparent pretty quickly once the season starts if this healing time and training camp we were told was all he needed is actually the case.  

They have for two years already. Why not a 3rd? Especially seeing this may be the first real offseason he has had since he was drafted. 🤔

3 minutes ago, harmonkillebrew said:

On scenario 1, it's clear they see Kincaid as a different position from Knox -  a move TE v. an inline TE.  They will complement each other. So not a hurt feelings issue or redundancy like drafting a RT might be.

The gaping hole at ILB is too much to ignore if Sanders or Simpson drop. I can't believe Jack Campbell went top 20

I think the gaping hole is at OT, specifically Brown.  I'm not willing to bet the entire season and possibly Josh Allen's health on the hope that Spencer Brown figures out how to play.  If we don't draft an OT or at least someone that can play OT, what are our real options if it becomes apparent a game or two into the season that Brown just isn't getting the job done?

Just now, LyndonvilleBill said:

They have for two years already. Why not a 3rd? Especially seeing this may be the first real offseason he has had since he was drafted. 🤔

So if he's the week 1 starter and by week 2, it's obvious he's not getting it done, then what?  

Just took a look at Joe Marino (locked on Bills) horizontal draft board and here is who he has through the 2nd round.  This is a Bills specific board but I left the TEs off because they already grabbed Kincaid.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/u/0/d/1Y3yiGJxznx-SkzJLxqkS1ygb8zLvfym6ZJr1lOloVrU/htmlview#gid=0

Top Half round 1 - all gone

Back Half Round 1 - Had Kincaid here btw

Still left:

Mathew Bergeron OT

Bryan Bresee IDL

Keeanu Benton IDL

Ade Adebawore IDL

2nd Round - 

Zach Charbonett RB

Tyler Scott WR

Marvin Mims WR

Jalin Hyatt WR

Josh Downs WR

Dawand Jones OT

Steve Avila IOL

Toe TIppman IOL

Cody Mauch IOL

O'Cyrus TOrrence IOL

Keion White Edge

BJ Ojulari Edge

Isiah Foskey Edge

Gervon Dexter IDL

Drew Sanders LB

Brian Branch S

20 names several should still be there when the Bills are on the clock.

5 hours ago, MasterStrategist said:

1. MLB: what do they plan here?  Young players on the roster, 3rd round pick LY.  But unproven.  To me, this is highest need, but they could get creative with rotating players.

2. RT: what do they truly think of Spencer? Tonight will tell us alot about that confidence.  I'm cautiously optimistic on him.

3. DT: were running it back with the same crew, so it appears. But, I think a talented 1-tech could be a key missing piece.  Take more pressure off drafting a MLB as well. Daquan is our only true 1, and nobody under contract after this season.

4. DE: same as above, running it back.  I'm not a fan of Aje or Boogie, we could use another "speed/bend" rusher...and with Von coming off an ACL, this ranks high on my list of potential immediate impact

5. WR: drafting Kincaid doesn't stop us from adding more here.  But we have a solid group, could look for a true slot...ie: Downs or Jayden Reed.  But there's only 1 ball to distribute, and Shakir could turn into our future slot.

6. IOL: another area we have alot of "depth", and spent on Connor this FA.  I'm not as big a fan of Bates, but I have a different philosophy with my guards (rather see mauler types and tackles that are finesse).  I'd love to see us take an IOL tonight.

All this said, if I'm Beane, tonight is spent on trenches.  Specifically, an IOL (that could also compete at RT) and a 1-tech DT.  

I think we are done in the next few rounds on WR/TE, too many other pressing needs as you allude to.  One you missed is interior line, especially Center. Morse is a major injury/retirement risk.

2 minutes ago, Billz4ever said:

So if he's the week 1 starter and by week 2, it's obvious he's not getting it done, then what?  

And what if he is getting it done? I prefer to be positive. 😉

In case of emergency. Q, Doyle, Vandermark, Bates, Ike.

Personally,  I am still hoping for a Dalton Risner signing (😁),  but believe they will still sign someone in this draft cycle. Who and when still remains the question. 

4 minutes ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

And what if he is getting it done? I prefer to be positive. 😉

In case of emergency. Q, Doyle, Vandermark, Bates, Ike.

Personally,  I am still hoping for a Dalton Risner signing (😁),  but believe they will still sign someone in this draft cycle. Who and when still remains the question. 

You hope for the best, but plan for the worst.  While I hope a real offseason and training camp is all he needs, I'm not going to gamble the season on that being the case.  Our schedule is brutal this year and unless we get better O-line play than we did last year, it's going to be a long season.

6 minutes ago, Billz4ever said:

You hope for the best, but plan for the worst.  While I hope a real offseason and training camp is all he needs, I'm not going to gamble the season on that being the case.  Our schedule is brutal this year and unless we get better O-line play than we did last year, it's going to be a long season.

True. I'm not against it in any way. Who do you think will be available at OT we will be able to draft, say at 59, that as a rookie will be better than Brown as a 2/3 year starter?

24 minutes ago, section122 said:

Just took a look at Joe Marino (locked on Bills) horizontal draft board and here is who he has through the 2nd round.  This is a Bills specific board but I left the TEs off because they already grabbed Kincaid.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/u/0/d/1Y3yiGJxznx-SkzJLxqkS1ygb8zLvfym6ZJr1lOloVrU/htmlview#gid=0

Top Half round 1 - all gone

Back Half Round 1 - Had Kincaid here btw

Still left:

Mathew Bergeron OT

Bryan Bresee IDL

Keeanu Benton IDL

Ade Adebawore IDL

2nd Round - 

Zach Charbonett RB

Tyler Scott WR

Marvin Mims WR

Jalin Hyatt WR

Josh Downs WR

Dawand Jones OT

Steve Avila IOL

Toe TIppman IOL

Cody Mauch IOL

O'Cyrus TOrrence IOL

Keion White Edge

BJ Ojulari Edge

Isiah Foskey Edge

Gervon Dexter IDL

Drew Sanders LB

Brian Branch S

20 names several should still be there when the Bills are on the clock.

Bryan Bresee is gone already.  That said, this is a Bills specific board.  There are other really good players still out there that haven't been drafted yet.

The Bills are going to have a chance at a great player tonight in the 2nd.  I'd be thrilled with Benton, Bergeron, Sanders, among others.  Like I said, there are more really good players still on the board that aren't listed here that I would be happy to have as well, although many of them will be gone by the time we pick.  But I'm excited to see what's there.  Wish we had more ammo to move up if we wanted to, but we should still have some solid choices at 59.  Ideally, 5-6 of these guys will be there and we can move down a bit to maybe add a 5th to try and make up for that 4th we spent yesterday and still get a guy, but I would have no problem sticking and picking because there will be some solid players available.

44 minutes ago, section122 said:

What's the list? If you don't mind sharing of course.

Most of not all will be gone when we pick unfortunately so we either get lucky, move up, or reach from outside of this list.

I did not include any pass rushers, QBs, RBs, WRs (we have Kincaid....).  Focussing on OL, LB, DT, Safety depth, PLUS any round 1 slips.

No particular order:

1. S Brian Branch

2. CB Joey Porter

3. OG O'Cyrus Torrence

4. RT Dawand Jones

5. OC John Michael Schmitz

6. CB Cam Smith

7. OG Steve Avila

8. LB Drew Sanders (not an every down linebacker IMO, but great pass rusher)

9.  OC Luke Wypler

10. DT Keeanu Benton

11. LB Daiyan Henley (better as a SAM linebacker)

12. MLB Trenton Simpson

13. S Sydney Brown

14. DT Kobie Turner

Some of these are a bit of a reach for round 2 I realize

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.