Question for the Capologists?

TampaBillsJunkie

Hey Cap Wizards, 

I just saw this article on Rodgers contract? 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/jets-trade-for-aaron-rodgers-why-ex-packers-qb-is-currently-set-to-make-more-than-107-million-in-2024/

If Rodgers is set to make 1.7m against the cap this year and move 57m off the books, how does that not bite the Jets next year.  He's set to count 107m against the cap in 2024 

Can they move it to a signing bonus set over 5, 10, 20 years to lighten the hit. No way does Rodgers not get his $$$.  What's the play here and does anyone have scenarios how this could play out. 

Likely adding void years to the contract and spreading that 107m cap hit over 2-3 more years so they are only tied to ~21-34m per year after this season.

Rodgers would also have to accept since they are adding the void years to offset the cap hit.

Edited by The Wiz
  • Like (+1) 1

I always enjoy watching our division rivals trip over their own genitalia to make a desperation move like this

$100+ million being pushed into multiple void years

I get that Beane is also having to work some cap magic and pushing stuff out while we're in a championship window

But what the Jets are doing is like some next-level idiocy

• Like (+1) 2

Well, this yr they're getting a ~$50m QB for minimum wage.  As it stands, they're basically pushing the cost of having him play this yr into next yr (sort of like how many teams convert salary to signing bonuses to get under the cap).

They're basically deferring most of his cap value to next yr.  They can make next yrs hit more tolerable by either taking other players future salaries & making them SB this yr, thereby lowering their '24 hits, or by further extending Rodgers.

Their question is whether or not he's worth $50m+ for playing next yr.  Maybe they just cut him, if not, they're prolly have to extend him to make that hit more tolerable.

• Like (+1) 1

Just looking at Spotrac, this doesn't bite them as much as I thought it would. 

The Jets can eat that $58M next year and still have $11M in space based on the current projection, which is likely super conservative. Obviously that puts a lot of strain on the FA classes the next season or two. But it is possible they just eat it next year. 

Edited by Mango

6 minutes ago, Mango said:

The Jets can eat that $58M next year and still have $11M in space based on the current projection, which like likely super conservative. Obviously that puts a lot of strain on the FA classes the next season or two. But it is possible they just eat it next year. 

Having the draft of a lifetime last year kinda helps with salary cap for them for a number of years going forward.   Having 3 rookies not just start be be playing at an all pro level in their first season is something every team would dream of.    

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, TampaBillsJunkie said:

Hey Cap Wizards, 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/jets-trade-for-aaron-rodgers-why-ex-packers-qb-is-currently-set-to-make-more-than-107-million-in-2024/

If Rodgers is set to make 1.7m against the cap this year and move 57m off the books, how does that not bite the Jets next year.  He's set to count 107m against the cap in 2024 

Can they move it to a signing bonus set over 5, 10, 20 years to lighten the hit. No way does Rodgers not get his $$$.  What's the play here and does anyone have scenarios how this could play out. 

Signing bonus cap hits can only be spread out over 5 seasons - and that is only if the contract has at least 5 seasons on it. Void years count toward that.

Every dollar paid on Rodgers contract must hit the cap eventually. It can be spread out over the length of time he plays for the NYJ plus an additional year or two. One extra can be done by using a void year (or years) and two with a void year(s) plus cutting the player with a June 1st designation. That would have to be done the season after the last one played but before the contract voided. 

Edited by BarleyNY

1 hour ago, TampaBillsJunkie said:

Hey Cap Wizards, 

They’ll sign a new contract with several void years to spread out the cap hit

Thanks all.  So if Rodgers plays this year and under this deal then there's still 50m that needs to be paid out.  So can he sign a 3-4 year extension and spread that into a signing bonus and if he is cut or retired, then only the bonus money counts on the hit?  Would that be the case to count 15-20m for a few years if he doesn't play or are the "void years" basically the same without committing base pay to him?

2 hours ago, Mango said:

The Jets can eat that $58M next year and still have $11M in space based on the current projection, which is likely super conservative. Obviously that puts a lot of strain on the FA classes the next season or two. But it is possible they just eat it next year. 

25 million for Quinnen Williams who was integral to their defense last season is gonna make that 11 million go poof

1 hour ago, Malazan said:

25 million for Quinnen Williams who was integral to their defense last season is gonna make that 11 million go poof

They will have a lot more room than that next year once the official cap number comes out. They’ll have the YouTube money.

Not to mention restructures. They can make it work if they want to get it over and done with. Unsure if that’s the best move or if they actually will. 

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, mushypeaches said:

I always enjoy watching our division rivals trip over their own genitalia to make a desperation move like this

$100+ million being pushed into multiple void years

I get that Beane is also having to work some cap magic and pushing stuff out while we're in a championship window

But what the Jets are doing is like some next-level idiocy

How is it idiocy?  They can afford it while their core is young and cheap.  Von and Diggs are set to make around $52 million in 2024.  Sauce Gardner and Garrett Wilson will make less than $15 million.  When your best non QB players make that little, it frees up a lot of cap space.  Idiocy would be wasting the cheap years of guys like Quinnen Williams, Gardner, Wilson, Breece Hall, Elijah Moore, Alijah Vera-Tucker, etc. with a bad QB.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, TampaBillsJunkie said:

Hey Cap Wizards, 

I admit I'm not "in" on the nuances of Rodgers contract, but I noticed this intriguing little sentence on his Sportrac entry:

"2023 Option Bonus: $58.3M (guaranteed, must be exercised between March 17, 2023 - Week 1, temporarily moved to 2024 in trade/restructure)"

Rodgers has a $47M option bonus in 2024 as well.

I don't think that option bonus is gonna stay in 2024.  I think the Jets will renegotiate his contract, and I wish them Good Luck

Edited by Beck Water
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.