Good perspective on how good we were last year

BillsFan619

1 hour ago, Dopey said:

I do. It was a hell of a season. Sucks some can't appreciate it.

I do think it’s very important to remember the journey and not the destination. It’s also great that the bar has raised as well. But for 18 games, it was a hell of a season and I appreciate them much more as I get older (and more handsomer 😉). Sucks the way it ended but we are in the second best period of bills history of my life and I’m old enough to actually appreciate it now.

we have fans getting mad that some people don’t think Allen is the number 1 qb and wanting the DC/ MLB of back to back defenses replaced (I still think it is crazy).  So we have much higher goals than a good regular season. But man, take every game one at a time and enjoy the ride. Start remembering the 17 year drought and Losman vs Holcomb debates before you start crying too bad haha.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

Since when did having a great regular season guarantee a 1 seed? Did anyone say we had the best regular season? 13-3 is a great season, whether it comes with the 1 seed or not.  

I'll write happily accept going 9-8, squeaking into the playoffs as the 7th seed, them tearing it up to win a championship.  

Obviously the point of the regular season is to make the playoffs, and once in the playoffs, to advance therein.  

For anyone talking as if simply posting a good season is fine, I'd  absolutely love to hear them go tell the players that in a "motivational" speech before the season opener.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

I think the Hamlin on-field cardiac arrest had a major negative on many players. To the point where they internalized the event and lost focus for the balance of the season. I base my opinion on player interviews, especially Tre White, and the fact that we had such poor performances against a depleted Patriots team and a Dolphins team led by a third-string QB. Not to mention being embarrassed at home by the Bengals. Hopefully, everyone has recovered and regained their focus. Had the Hamlin event not occurred, I think the Bills would have played much better at the end of the season.

Edited by gjv
did not finish my thoughts properly

2 hours ago, What a Tuel said:

Curious how one gets to the playoffs to even play a game? 

Do you remember the 1st time Buffalo made the playoffs with the McBeane regime after almost 2 decades?

Getting to the playoffs doesn't necessarily mean you have a good team. 

34 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Correction, we blew out the Rams and then the Titans, both teams having been absurdly overrated and among the worst on our schedule.  After that we went on vacation as if beating them was a singular formality to going 17-0 and sliding into a Championship per the preseason pub.  

After that we lost to Miami, barely beat Baltimore going 4-3 in our next 7.  

The only two teams that we blew out were Pittsburgh in week 5 and then the Bears on Christmas Eve.  

We got blown out by Cinci.  

We only beat three playoff teams during the regular season, two of which were WC teams.  We beat those teams by 3 points twice and by 4 points once.  We also lost to Miami once.  

We had a relatively soft schedule in hindsight.   It's quite possible were overrated ourselves after the first two games against teams that were supposed to be in contention but which finished a combined 12-22 and both of which finishing near last in offense.  

Just sayin'.

I know that I did.  

What is this barely beating *****

Wins are wins 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Dopey said:

I do. It was a hell of a season. Sucks some can't appreciate it.

It was a helluva Regular season.

The postseason was the antithesis of the regular season however.  

Barely beating a Wild Card team at home in huge energy prior to getting smoked by the Bengals behind a scrub OL is low end.  

3 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

What is this barely beating *****

Wins are wins 

Just as going 13-3 or 9-8 and getting smoked in the playoffs is the same ultimate result, ... If we're going to apply the same standard there.  

Just sayin' 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

Just now, nedboy7 said:

In my book if you ain't a millionaire you made some dumb decisions in life and are a complete loser.  So.... who isn't a loser?  Let's hear it. 

Assuming that everyone's goal in life is to be a millionaire, I suppose that would be a valid argument.  Unfortunately that's far from the case.  

Every team's goal at the beginning of the season IS to win a championship.  

• Agree 1

Just now, PBF81 said:

Assuming that everyone's goal in life is to be a millionaire, I suppose that would be a valid argument.  Unfortunately that's far from the case.  

Everyone's goal is to be successful and happy in life.  I define success and happiness by millions of dollars.  So when did you become a lo.........

22 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I think it affected the team, for sure.  I think it affected the coaches.  My point was that we were missing a ton of people on D for that last game.

Jaquan Johnson and Cam Lewis at Safety doesn't seem very safe.

Completely aligned.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

Only 6 times over the last 3 seasons has a team finished 13-3 or better. Packers and Eagles each did it once, KC & Buffalo are the only 2 to do it twice. Yet there are fans on here saying that those seasons aren't great. We also have the 2nd best record over the last 3 years, only trailing KC. Yeah, top 7% isn't great lol.

The people who are complaining must be Employee of the Month every month, and their kids are class valedictorians.  😋

I get it, the playoffs have been disappointing for us, just like for every team but one. It happens to be the Chiefs this year. I takes great play and peaking at the right time, plus a fair amount of luck to finish on top. It hasn’t been our turn yet, but I like where we stand and I’m looking forward to next season with high hopes. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

12 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Almost every company wants to be number 1 in sales and profit, all movies want to be tops in revenue and win awards, most musicians want to win a grammy…. That does not mean that falling short of the top spot is a total failure and, specifically for the Bills, it doesn’t mean that they aren’t already talented enough to win a Super Bowl next year.

I’ not saying that these numbers are exact, but let’s say that a team is so good that they have a 60% probability to win against any other team in the playoffs- that’s pretty good right there.  A team that has a first round bye needs to win 3 straight playoff games to be champs.  Assuming that 60% probability in each game is reasonably accurate, then that team has a .6 x .6 x .6 = about a 22% chance of doing so.  If that team had to play a wild card game, it works out to be about a 13% chance of winning 4 in a row against the best teams in the league.

You can quibble with the numbers a little, but my point is that it is very hard and requires some luck to win 3 or 4 in a row against the best competition in the world.

27 minutes ago, nedboy7 said:

In my book if you ain't a millionaire you made some dumb decisions in life and are a complete loser.  So.... who isn't a loser?  Let's hear it. 

31 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

It was a helluva Regular season.

The postseason was the antithesis of the regular season however.  

Barely beating a Wild Card team at home in huge energy prior to getting smoked by the Bengals behind a scrub OL is low end.  

Just as going 13-3 or 9-8 and getting smoked in the playoffs is the same ultimate result, ... If we're going to apply the same standard there.  

Just sayin' 

Let this team go nine and eight and watch entitled fans lose their ***** minds complaining of the days whenever we went 13 and three

Edited by John from Riverside

17 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Let this team go nine and eight and watch entitled fans lose their ***** minds complaining of the days whenever we went 13 and three

Seriously.  Gee do I want to watch a team that competes every year or a 0-17 team?  Cause some on here seem to think it's the same thing. 

55 minutes ago, Augie said:

The people who are complaining must be Employee of the Month every month, and their kids are class valedictorians.  😋

I get it, the playoffs have been disappointing for us, just like for every team but one. It happens to be the Chiefs this year. I takes great play and peaking at the right time, plus a fair amount of luck to finish on top. It hasn’t been our turn yet, but I like where we stand and I’m looking forward to next season with high hopes. 

I agree Augie. Though the majority of the people responding are some of the worst posters on this board imo. Blah, blah, blah. It's like listening to a broken record.

Been a fan for 45 years and there have been far more lean years than not during that time. Still don't understand how anyone in their right mind thought we were winning it all with all the injuries to our top players.

Take any other playoff team's top 6 players, now have their QB injured, lose their best pass rusher, lose an All-Pro secondary player, have 2 more All-Pro secondary players playing injured and let them have their 1 remaining top player of the 6 healthy(Milano). None of those teams would've made the Super Bowl either. Not a single one.

Edited by LOVEMESOMEBILLS
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, SCBills said:

No one is saying we sucked.   That is a strawman argument. 

We were good.  We’ve had good regular seasons.  

A great regular season, imo, is when we finally get the 1 seed.  

Not to argue or anything. I did read some comments along the line of "if your not first your last" and so on. I don't agree with participation trophies but I also don't think the whole season is a waste either. (Not saying you do). The whole participation comment is basically saying anyone who can see positives in the season is soft. That how I read it. 

2 hours ago, nedboy7 said:

Everyone's goal is to be successful and happy in life.  I define success and happiness by millions of dollars.  So when did you become a lo.........

Well, OK, and some people consider themselves to be the center of the universe while others consider that there are many others that don't think that way.  

Good for you that your primary goal in life is money/wealth, and to merely see the team do well in the regular season.  

If it's all the same and if you don't mind, I'll keep the option open that not everyone thinks like that, on either count.  

1 hour ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Almost every company wants to be number 1 in sales and profit, all movies want to be tops in revenue and win awards, most musicians want to win a grammy…. That does not mean that falling short of the top spot is a total failure and, specifically for the Bills, it doesn’t mean that they aren’t already talented enough to win a Super Bowl next year.

I’ not saying that these numbers are exact, but let’s say that a team is so good that they have a 60% probability to win against any other team in the playoffs- that’s pretty good right there.  A team that has a first round bye needs to win 3 straight playoff games to be champs.  Assuming that 60% probability in each game is reasonably accurate, then that team has a .6 x .6 x .6 = about a 22% chance of doing so.  If that team had to play a wild card game, it works out to be about a 13% chance of winning 4 in a row against the best teams in the league.

You can quibble with the numbers a little, but my point is that it is very hard and requires some luck to win 3 or 4 in a row against the best competition in the world.

I thought that we were talking about expectations and goals?  

Even so, a salesman with a superior product that underachieves his competitors who have lesser products, at some point one must look at why shares lag, no? 

Edited by PBF81

6 hours ago, BeastMaster said:

Regular season is meaningless once the playoffs are set

The Bills were one of the worst teams in the playoffs last season

Uh, what about the teams that didn't win a playoff game?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

Au contraire, absolutely no one would be complaining of we won the Super Bowl after finishing 9-8.    

If we went 9-8 however, and we're ousted in the WC or D round of the playoffs, or missed the playoffs altogether, don't you think that with this roster and Allen at to he helm we'd have to consider that gross underachievement and point to coaching?

You're all over the map in terms of the argument.  Make an argument and stick with it man.  So going off on tangential arguments and points.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.