MLB Jack Campbell #53 in the top 100 of The Athletic... is this our guy???

17 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

If the Bills truly believe:

A)  The general consensus on Jack Campbell as a mid-2nd/early 3rd Round prospect is way-off...

B)  He is truly a stud 1st Round MLB prospect that is the Best Player Available at our pick...

C)  Trading down will cost us him AND all the other prospects of equal value...

Then yes... it absolutely makes sense for them to take him at #27.

But if the primary motivation is fear that we leave the draft without a starting caliber MLB, and that is why Campbell needs to be pushed up the board, then the Bills are screwing themselves.  

Great point- almost like, if there is fear of missing out on a MLB,  will they allow it to persuade them into thinking Campbell is more talented than he is, to ensure they draft him early? 👍

Edited by JaCrispy

45 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

A)  The general consensus on Jack Campbell as a mid-2nd/early 3rd Round prospect is way-off...

B)  He is truly a stud 1st Round MLB prospect that is the Best Player Available at our pick...

But if the primary motivation is fear that we leave the draft without a starting caliber MLB, and that is why Campbell needs to be pushed up the board, then the Bills are screwing themselves.  

I'll take D....all of the above.

38 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

Great point- almost like, if there is fear of missing out on a MLB,  will they allow it to persuade them into thinking Campbell is more talented than he is, to ensure they draft him early? 👍

Well Jerry's in front of us and the 5 teams behind us could all stand to add inexpensive youth in the middle of their D's. No way he gets to 34.

The Steelers 2nd pick is 33.  

If I could trade down no more than 3 spots to the Saints or Philly, otherwise I'm pulling the trigger.

Edited by nosejob

Bills absolutely need to find a linebacker in this draft. The 3 guys currently on board are all backups. If they can trade back from 27 and still get Campbell or Simpson (prefer Campbell) great. With the extra pick they can maybe scoop Mims after the front runners have all gone in the first. I think Mims can bring lots to the table. Way more than Downs imo.

Of course it would be great if the Bills could sign a top shelf veteran. I don't know where Hop will land but Arizona is definitely moving him.

Haven't followed this thread but how could this guy not be the pick if he's available? I see them saying he's possibly a 2nd round guy. Sometimes these scouts overthink it. He's a very good player. He has the size and if he's a little slow then you make up for that with instincts. From watching his videos it looks like he has a good feel for the flow of the play and he fills the holes (that's what she said). Something Edmunds could never do despite how they told us for years how much potential he had

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, starrymessenger said:

Bills absolutely need to find a linebacker in this draft. The 3 guys currently on board are all backups. If they can trade back from 27 and still get Campbell or Simpson (prefer Campbell) great. With the extra pick they can maybe scoop Mims after the front runners have all gone in the first. I think Mims can bring lots to the table. Way more than Downs imo.

Of course it would be great if the Bills could sign a top shelf veteran. I don't know where Hop will land but Arizona is definitely moving him.

In my fantasy, Robinson slides to us.  Either get a 3rd from the Saints or a 3rd and late rd. from Philly. No to Cincy, or K.C.

13 minutes ago, nosejob said:

Well Jerry's in front of us and the 5 teams behind us could all stand to add inexpensive youth in the middle of their D's. No way he gets to 34.

The Steelers 2nd pick is 33.  

If I could trade down no more than 3 spots to the Saints or Philly, otherwise I'm pulling the trigger.

Yeah the Steelers want him bad so unless it's 28-32  we're stuck taking him @ 27.

1 hour ago, mjt328 said:

I would expect that if they take Campbell (or someone else, I don't know who), it's because they feel he's the best MLB in the draft.  I doubt one is selected before the pick.

16 minutes ago, Doc said:

I would expect that if they take Campbell (or someone else, I don't know who), it's because they feel he's the best MLB in the draft.  I doubt one is selected before the pick.

You may be right, but if I'm guessing it'll be like....4 maybe 5 QBs.....   4 to 5 DL.... 4 to 5 OTs ....2 to 3 CBs.... 1 or 2 S....2 TEs.   So looking at 18 to 22  pretty much locked in.

After that will be a free for all.  It would be hard to say a team in the bottom 5  is "reaching".

Edited by nosejob

5 minutes ago, nosejob said:

You may be right, but if I'm guessing it'll be like....4 maybe 5 QBs.....   4 to 5 DL.... 4 to 5 OTs ....2 to 3 CBs.... 1 or 2 S....2 TEs.   So looking at 18 to 22  pretty much locked in.

After that will be a free for all.  It would be hard to say a team in the bottom 5  is "reaching".

I've always wanted to see this master list that people go of off when they talk about "reaching."  You'd think there wouldn't be so many busts in the 1st round...

5 minutes ago, Doc said:

I've always wanted to see this master list that people go of off when they talk about "reaching."  You'd think there wouldn't be so many busts in the 1st round...

Not to mention, I believe there are 4 teams with 2 1st rounders.  BTW, reaching could be thought off when a team takes a player earlier than projected by the media.

Edited by nosejob

Again, there are zero teams ahead of us in the first round with MLB as a top need.

And in round 2, it's only Miami.

If we don't pick MLB in round 1 or in a trade down above Miami, there's a very good chance we miss out on a solid MLB that is ready to start right away.  It's too important of a position to just let it slide.

I like our starting RT right now way more than our big fat question mark at MLB.

The Bills need offensive help at 27 either a tackle that can solidify the O-line or a WR that can help take pressure off Diggs and give Josh more options. Campbell would be a great add at 59 but at 27 the Bills need to get Josh more help. 2 out of the top 3 picks including pick 27 should be on the offensive side of the ball.

On 3/30/2023 at 5:53 AM, MrEpsYtown said:

I think we will start seeing Campbell mocked more in the first round and it may change people's perspectives of his value. 

Like Luke Keuchy in 2012...early mock drafts had him early 2 late 1...then the process played out and he started to be in the top 15 discussions. 

See this is kinda the reason I'm wondering if Campbell will be the guy we target. McDermott was the Panthers DC when Kuechly was drafted and for his first 5 years in the league.

As for the desire for Sanders because of his pass rushing ability, was Kuechly a great pass rusher? Campbell seems like more of a true old school well-rounded MLB with good run stopping and coverage ability and great instincts. Sanders sounds more raw.

I just think as McDermott's 1st year calling the defense, he'd look at a Kuechly-like MLB with googly eyes.

We already have our pass rushing/blitzing LB in Milano.

5 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

See this is kinda the reason I'm wondering if Campbell will be the guy we target. McDermott was the Panthers DC when Kuechly was drafted and for his first 5 years in the league.

As for the desire for Sanders because of his pass rushing ability, was Kuechly a great pass rusher? Campbell seems like more of a true old school well-rounded MLB with good run stopping and coverage ability and great instincts. Sanders sounds more raw.

I just think as McDermott's 1st year calling the defense, he'd look at a Kuechly-like MLB with googly eyes.

He was hoping TE would be his super-sized/athletic Kuechly.  But that was never to be because of his lack of instincts.  Not exactly TE's fault because he was never a true MLB.  I can see MLB being the 1st pick but I don't know who he will select.  But I hope that he doesn't focus solely on Campbell because Kuechly's mentoring him and ignore reasons to select another player.

17 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

As Gregg Cosell says, Campbell is not the HOF Keuchly but he's probably 75% of Keuchly and that should translate into multiple pro bowls. 
Bills are drafting the Edmunds replacement this year imo. He's got to be one of the top 3 guys too because we need someone who can reliably start and contribute. The three we've got onboard now are all backups. Suggests maybe a trade down or a LB at 27. 

Edited by starrymessenger
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, starrymessenger said:

As Gregg Cosell says, Campbell is not the HOF Keuchly but he's probably 75% of Keuchly and that should translate into multiple pro bowls. 
Bills are drafting the Edmunds replacement this year imo. He's got to be one of the top 3 guys too because we need someone who can reliably start and contribute. The three we've got onboard now are all backups. Suggests maybe a trade down or a LB at 27. 

McD won't trade down if he's identified the MLB he wants (again, the Bills should have the first pick of one) and with the Steelers sitting there at 32 and ostensibly look for a MLB.

1 minute ago, Doc said:

McD won't trade down if he's identified the MLB he wants (again, the Bills should have the first pick of one) and with the Steelers sitting there at 32 and ostensibly look for a MLB.

Yeah that makes sense if he knows exactly who he wants, which is likely, so he pulls the trigger at 27. But I still wonder if all three of the front runners are on the Board at 27 whether he might trade back, especially if he knows who Pittsburg wants.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.