Bills will add at least 4 more Free Agents

khlax3

1 minute ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

One of those two will be sitting the majority of the game. Getting some reps at nickel in OTAs and training camp is the time to see how they do. Both Elam and Jackson are far better than Neal or Lewis. Put your best guys on the field. Its not like they don't play some man to man sometimes and have to play close to the line as the offense may dictate even when they line up outside.

Don't disagree about putting best players on the field.  But they clearly like Neal/Cam at that backup nickle spot.

Bigger areas to work on improving than backup nickle at this point. 

6 hours ago, khlax3 said:

Currently the bills have between 9 and 11 open roster spots on their 53 man roster. With 6 draft picks this bills will add at least 4 more free agents who will make the 53. Here is the breakdown:

QB: No more additions (Allen and Allen)

RB: 1 more addition (cook, Hines Gilliam) we will add one more back and I think it will be in FA. I don’t think they would want to go into the season with just cook and Hines and a rookie. Fornette and Elliot make sense because they don’t count against comp. Damien Harris is another option

TE: 1 more addition (Knox, Morris) they will add a guy here a with a deep draft at the position I expect it will be in the draft rather than a FA

WR: 2 more additions (diggs, Davis, shakir, harty) I am thinking one FA and one in the draft. There are two options here go with a more expensive vet and then draft a WR late or draft receiver early and go with an older cheaper vet. My vote would be Jarvis Landry to solidify the slot with shakir and then draft a wr early on the outside)

OL: 2 more addition (Dawkins, McGovern, Morse, Bates, Brown) I would expect a FA tackle (Shell has beeen rumored) and draft a C/G prospect in mid rounds

DT: 1 more addition (Oliver, Settle, Jones). They could go with a guy like Bryant to fill out the roster but I think it will be a mid round draft pick

DE: 1 more addition (Miller, Groot, Epenesa, Basham) if the bills think Miller will be good to go to start season maybe they go with a late round pick or bring back lawson. My preference would be to grab an older vet on cheap 1 year deal (Ingram, clowned, Houston, someone that is still producing but not going to cost a lot)

LB: 1 more addition (Milano, Bernard, Dodson, matekovich, Spector) Wagner. Would solidify this group if not I expect an early draft pick

Secondary: 0-2 additions (poyer, Hyde, Hamlin, mayden, white, benford, Elam, Neal, lewis, Jackson) this position may not need anything but it depends what they want to do. Does mayden make the 53. They signed him for a 2 year deal so I think so. Is Hamlin back this season? Does benford move to saftey? Do they cut Neal? If they stay as is they are set. If Hamlin mayden or Neal are not available or don’t make team they need to backfill.

Based on needs I see the bills doing the following in the draft 

rounds 1-3: some combination of MLB, WR, TE

rounds 4-6: some combination of IOL, DT, DB

Thank you for putting a good bit of thought into this.  I understand what you're thinking about - how many of the Bills currently signed players are really solid to make the 53 man  roster? And where do they need to add?  I think you did a pretty good job of identifying that.

One thing to keep in mind is that the Bills aren't looking to fill a 53 man roster at present.  They're looking to fill a 90 man roster to go into training camp. 

So another way to look at it is that the Bills currently have 61 players under contract by my count (look at Spotrac and add up the ones that are lined out because their salaries are lower than the top 51.)  A couple of those were actually on the roster last year (Quintin Morris is an example.

So the Bills are actually looking to add 29 players between now and training camp.  In addition to 6 draft picks, they will likely add 6-10 undrafted rookies, and 13 or so FA.  And at the bottom of the roster, those guys will battle it out and a couple will make the 53, then another handful will make the practice squad.

For some of the needs you identify (such as a DE to stopgap Miller), the Bills may actually like someone they've already got signed such as Kendal Vickers, who played a couple games for the Raiders.  Same thing on OL.

I know I will be hella disappointed if you're correct and our "improvements" to OL consist of Connor McGovern, a 31 yr old "fringe" OT like Brandon Shell (is that who you mean?) and a Day 3 C/G prospect.  But that's not on you for possibly making an educated guess about what the Bills will do, it's on the Bills for undervaluing the OL.  Signing Fournette or Elliot would make no sense (IMHO) because if we don't have a solid run blocking OL they won't help us.

BTW currently Matt Barkely is on the roster giving us 3 QB.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The biggest issues going into the draft and then post-draft free agency IMHO are:

How to replace Edmunds ?

How to improve the Offensive Line - we have 2 NFL starter caliber players and 3 question marks.

Are Von, Micah, Tre White, going to be healthy game day 1?

Is Elam ready to start against the elite QB's & WR's he will face almost weekly ?

Our schedule has us facing 7 of the top 10 quarterbacks in the league [one plays for us]

Can we get some consistent production out of our #2 wide out and #3 slot receiver ?

Can we find an affordable 3rd down back who can get tough yards, so that JA17 isn't constantly having to?

Can we start making big plays on D and forcing turnovers - we were 3rd highest in the league in giveaways.

Can Josh clean up his turnovers, and stop taking so many risks with the ball?

I will be interesting to see this all play out.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Pasaluki said:

Nice post I like getting the rb and lb in FA. I really am praying the Bills go Oline or WR early in the draft. 

It's time to feed the offense even if the defense needs to go hungry.

It just makes no sense from a resource standpoint to bring in a veteran, free agent running back

Unless it’s like a duke Johnson type that you can pay like $1 million

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, akcash said:

Thanks for making the time to make this post. I feel like you say some good FAs would solidify this group. I think Beane is licking his chops on some of the damage he can do after the draft in FA.

Agreed.  I like and appreciate the OP’s comments, effort and thoughts.  I would add I think Beane will still resign many of our pending FA’s.  I don’t think many FAs are coming in from other organizations as we move forward.

8 hours ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Nice post.

I hope they resign Shaq Lawson - I thought he played quite well last season.

I think they HAVE to bring in a young safety candidate, probably in the draft.  Poyer and Hyde won't play much longer and would be nice to have a year or so with a young player learning from them - at least by watching how they study and play.

They HAVE to bring in a LB to at least challenge for the position that Edmunds vacated.  Maybe they believe in Terrel Bernard, but man he and Milano would have to be the smallest pair of LBs in the league.  I generally don't like to dump on a recent draft pick as a bust because who knows how they'll come along, but I think everyone was surprised that Bernard was picked in round 3 and his almost complete lack of playing time was not a strong indication that they like him.  

I'd love to see WR addressed, but I don't know that I'd pay OBJ much coming off knee surgery and at his age.  I can't see how they could possibly afford to trade for a vet who isn't on a rookie contract, so I think that leaves the draft for this position.  I don't think there are any clear upgrades over Gabe Davis available in the draft after say, round 1 - if there is even one there.  If Rashee Rice makes it to late 2nd, he might have a chance to challenge Davis or be his replacement in 24 if Davis leaves for a ton of $.

They might be able to find a pretty inexpensive RB in FA to pair with Cook.  I really like Singletary, but I think they are looking for a power guy to complement Cook.  

It would not shock me if they take 2 OL and a LB in the first 3 rounds.  Still, I won't be shocked if they dip into a strong CB class to give them flexibility to release Tre White in 2024 - if he doesn't regain his pre-injury form, he'll be pretty expensive relative to performance.  Best case, of course, is White returns to his pre-injury form and they'd be happy to keep paying him.

I meddled on Lawson all season. As guys wore down I liked him more. The guy played solid to his potential. Phillips did quite well injured.  No reason not to offer them. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, khlax3 said:

There are 9-11 spots available on the 53 man roster. With 6 draft picks that leaves at least 4 FA that will be brought in and will be on the team. I’m not taking Udfa or practice squad type FA that will round out the 90 Man roster

Some thoughts…

1.  Not all draft picks make the 53

2. Injuries happen

3.  Vets can get beat out

4. Some players excel and make the 53

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

It just makes no sense from a resource standpoint to bring in a veteran, free agent running back

Unless it’s like a duke Johnson type that you can pay like $1 million

Agreed

3 hours ago, Eastport bills said:

He signed a potential slot receiver with speed who is coming off a serious injury, and a guard. The positions that demand talented FA is ILB and a big bodied back who can get short yardage and pass protect. He whiffed on 3 backs who would have been perfect(Foreman, Williams and Perrine) and signed affordable deals.Beane freed plenty of cap space to get a couple of meaningful FA. Why is he waiting to get FA that won’t help? So far he’s been bad. Our fan base shouldn’t accept this.

I disagree with you priorities and apparently Beane does too.

43 minutes ago, boyst said:

I meddled on Lawson all season. As guys wore down I liked him more. The guy played solid to his potential. Phillips did quite well injured.  No reason not to offer them. 

Agreed, I would suggest having them both back.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Beck Water said:

Thank you for putting a good bit of thought into this.  I understand what you're thinking about - how many of the Bills currently signed players are really solid to make the 53 man  roster? And where do they need to add?  I think you did a pretty good job of identifying that.

One thing to keep in mind is that the Bills aren't looking to fill a 53 man roster at present.  They're looking to fill a 90 man roster to go into training camp. 

So another way to look at it is that the Bills currently have 61 players under contract by my count (look at Spotrac and add up the ones that are lined out because their salaries are lower than the top 51.)  A couple of those were actually on the roster last year (Quintin Morris is an example.

So the Bills are actually looking to add 29 players between now and training camp.  In addition to 6 draft picks, they will likely add 6-10 undrafted rookies, and 13 or so FA.  And at the bottom of the roster, those guys will battle it out and a couple will make the 53, then another handful will make the practice squad.

For some of the needs you identify (such as a DE to stopgap Miller), the Bills may actually like someone they've already got signed such as Kendal Vickers, who played a couple games for the Raiders.  Same thing on OL.

I know I will be hella disappointed if you're correct and our "improvements" to OL consist of Connor McGovern, a 31 yr old "fringe" OT like Brandon Shell (is that who you mean?) and a Day 3 C/G prospect.  But that's not on you for possibly making an educated guess about what the Bills will do, it's on the Bills for undervaluing the OL.  Signing Fournette or Elliot would make no sense (IMHO) because if we don't have a solid run blocking OL they won't help us.

Well said.

2 minutes ago, Motor26 said:

Phillips is always hurt. Need someone more reliable. 

I get it, but, he makes plays when he plays.  When he plays he is only a rotational player as is our entire Dline. So, it sort of works.  Lightning in a bottle IF he stays healthy for cheap.

I am good and get both sides to signing and not signing him.

46 minutes ago, boyst said:

Doesn't necessarily mean too much, but in his post-season presser Beane said something about we thought Lawson played well at the end of the year and we'll have to see what happens in FA.  About Phillips, he said "he needs to have surgery and he's going to have a long road back" or words to that effect.

My translation of Beane-speak is that is if Shaq doesn't have a huge market, Beane will offer him a vet minimum deal, maybe even a vet salary benefit deal, but that he will wait and see how Phillips recovery progresses from surgery before offering him.

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Beck Water said:

OP possibly assumes Barkley moves to practice squad, which doesnt exist,yet

They have needs agree but I dont think they have a lot of space....sure they can still create more if needed.

They need cap space for the rookies

They need cap space for the practice squad

They need about 5M for in season acquisitions

Right now they are projected 18M over for next year and that will get worse if they make any significant signings because they will need to push more money out to do that.

21 hours ago, DCbillsfan said:

Where do you think Benford is playing?  I have him at safety 3, behind Poyer and Hyde.  White, Elam, Johnson, Jackson, and Neal at corner.  4th safety between Lewis and Mayden.

I'd probably rather have Hamlin playing than either Lewis or Mayden. 

10 hours ago, Herb Nightly said:

Bills won't carry only 7 OL. More like 8 or 9.

Dawkins Brown Doyle

Morse McGovern Bates Boettger

There's some others on the roster, but i think those 7 are pretty much locks.  I'd like to see another tackle to push brown and Doyle.  And interior i think they need to add some youth.  

24 minutes ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

I'd probably rather have Hamlin playing than either Lewis or Mayden. 

Dawkins Brown Doyle

Morse McGovern Bates Boettger

There's some others on the roster, but i think those 7 are pretty much locks.  I'd like to see another tackle to push brown and Doyle.  And interior i think they need to add some youth.  

Who are locks depends on whom they may draft, still sign as FA or UDFA.  I would not say that Doyle, Boettger or even Bates are lead-pipe cinches to make the team.

19 hours ago, Eastport bills said:

He signed a potential slot receiver with speed who is coming off a serious injury, and a guard. The positions that demand talented FA is ILB and a big bodied back who can get short yardage and pass protect. He whiffed on 3 backs who would have been perfect(Foreman, Williams and Perrine) and signed affordable deals.Beane freed plenty of cap space to get a couple of meaningful FA. Why is he waiting to get FA that won’t help? So far he’s been bad. Our fan base shouldn’t accept this.

So you go in and fire him for us … thank you 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.