Bills will add at least 4 more Free Agents

khlax3

3 minutes ago, Ponch said:

So you go in and fire him for us … thank you 

Can’t fire him yet and hopefully won’t have to,but between blowing the cap on underachievers and putting undue pressure on himself to build a competitive SB worthy roster with limited cap space, he’s a year away from the hot seat. Ponch, instead of some backhanded sarcasm, give me some credible support for Beane’s performance.

• Dislike 1

3 hours ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Who are locks depends on whom they may draft, still sign as FA or UDFA.  I would not say that Doyle, Boettger or even Bates are lead-pipe cinches to make the team.

Bates is a lock unless they find a willing trade partner as his 2023 salary is fully guaranteed.  He's played all over, and i think he's likely our future center.  

Boettger - Easily replaced with no risk or dead cap.  From a guard depth position, you can do a lot worse.  He's been here for 5 years, started 17 games.  Considering how many random people played, i think he's pretty rock solid here if healthy.  Quessenberry, Van Roten, and Hart played about 900 snaps between the 3 (hart played some tackle eligible) and i'd put him as an upgrade over all 3 as a guard.

Doyle - Easily replaced with no risk or much of a dead cap number.  Current swing tackle, but i expect them to add a tackle in the draft which likely pushes Doyle to that fringe number 9  (basically now in competition with literally every other lineman).  If a new tackle supplants brown, then brown moves to primary swing tackle and tackle eligible.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, Eastport bills said:

Can’t fire him yet and hopefully won’t have to,but between blowing the cap on underachievers and putting undue pressure on himself to build a competitive SB worthy roster with limited cap space, he’s a year away from the hot seat. Ponch, instead of some backhanded sarcasm, give me some credible support for Beane’s performance.

I appreciate that Eastport. You got me on the sarcasm, and I apologize, that’s not very kind. But you ask for credible support of Beane’s performance? 🤔, well, I guess I would say, let’s start by examining what you do for a living, or what I do. If we were under the microscope evaluating our performances, like we do in professional sports how well would we do? Would we have a job next year? Or would we be on the hot seat? Would that be fair? I’m not sure how long you’ve been a Bills fan, but there were 17 years of a quagmire. What Mr Beane has done in the few years here’s been here is build this team into a perennial Super Bowl contender while he fights a tight salary cap, injuries, weather, owner and player health catastrophes etc, etc.. you know all the stuff you and I deal with with our jobs. I don’t know, do I wish they won the Super Bowl? Of course! Am I frustrated they haven’t, absolutely. Has Beane “been bad”? He has a fine line of filling spots while staying fiscally responsible. If you’ve ever been to an estate sale, the savvy buyers know to wait it out to get the bargains. The sale ain’t over yet and you have June 1st. cuts., the draft (with no idea who will fall to them). It’s just getting good. 7 Mary 3!

37 minutes ago, Ponch said:

I appreciate that Eastport. You got me on the sarcasm, and I apologize, that’s not very kind. But you ask for credible support of Beane’s performance? 🤔, well, I guess I would say, let’s start by examining what you do for a living, or what I do. If we were under the microscope evaluating our performances, like we do in professional sports how well would we do? Would we have a job next year? Or would we be on the hot seat? Would that be fair? I’m not sure how long you’ve been a Bills fan, but there were 17 years of a quagmire. What Mr Beane has done in the few years here’s been here is build this team into a perennial Super Bowl contender while he fights a tight salary cap, injuries, weather, owner and player health catastrophes etc, etc.. you know all the stuff you and I deal with with our jobs. I don’t know, do I wish they won the Super Bowl? Of course! Am I frustrated they haven’t, absolutely. Has Beane “been bad”? He has a fine line of filling spots while staying fiscally responsible. If you’ve ever been to an estate sale, the savvy buyers know to wait it out to get the bargains. The sale ain’t over yet and you have June 1st. cuts., the draft (with no idea who will fall to them). It’s just getting good. 7 Mary 3!

Can’t disagree with the passionate overview of challenges GMs face in constructing and maintaining a “perennial SB contender”. Where I disagree is your comparison to the oversight we have in our jobs. Being in charge of a Pro sports franchise brings the demand of approval by your customers. Good GMs absorb negativity routinely. I have always been self employed because if my business fails my family suffers and I am my toughest critic. In capitalism, your job is merit based and if you perform you’ll be fine. If you can’t handle harsh words you always have the option to leave for greener pastures. Beane knows football is a bottom line business. The team’s record and trajectory determine keeping your job. Winning divisions and winning early playoff games are great for a long suffering franchise  However when your acquisitions underachieve and you hamstring the franchise in a year when your losing productive starters, it’s concerning. We are chasing KC and Cinn.When do you as a member of a fan base stop accepting coming up short. We have arguably the best QB in football. Our division is adding on and getting better. Beane knows we are 0 for our existence winning SBs. I am the patriarch of 3 generations of devoted Bills fans. I want to experience my kids and grandkids seeing a championship. No more excuses.

On 3/19/2023 at 11:45 AM, Scott7975 said:

Does no one want Jordan Phillips back? I thought he played good when not injured. I haven’t seen his named mentioned at all. 

edit I see Firebaugh Kid mentioned him above. 

Played in 8 games.  Doesnt matter how good he is.  Never on the field.

• Agree 4

3 hours ago, Eastport bills said:

Can’t disagree with the passionate overview of challenges GMs face in constructing and maintaining a “perennial SB contender”. Where I disagree is your comparison to the oversight we have in our jobs. Being in charge of a Pro sports franchise brings the demand of approval by your customers. Good GMs absorb negativity routinely. I have always been self employed because if my business fails my family suffers and I am my toughest critic. In capitalism, your job is merit based and if you perform you’ll be fine. If you can’t handle harsh words you always have the option to leave for greener pastures. Beane knows football is a bottom line business. The team’s record and trajectory determine keeping your job. Winning divisions and winning early playoff games are great for a long suffering franchise  However when your acquisitions underachieve and you hamstring the franchise in a year when your losing productive starters, it’s concerning. We are chasing KC and Cinn.When do you as a member of a fan base stop accepting coming up short. We have arguably the best QB in football. Our division is adding on and getting better. Beane knows we are 0 for our existence winning SBs. I am the patriarch of 3 generations of devoted Bills fans. I want to experience my kids and grandkids seeing a championship. No more excuses.

Thank you for that. I understand where you're coming from better now. I too am self employed and I think you'd agree that to be successful in whatever you or I do doesn't mean you must be THE best at what you do? Often times if you GIVE your best, are honest and treat people as you'd want to be treated, you'll be successful and you can sleep at night. But that's not so in Pro Sports, is it? The patience wears thin pretty fast. Should Philly have kept Reid? Would they now be basking in 2 more Trophies if they did? Did they succeed by cutting their losses when they did? Or was it a failure because they let him go? Was Reid a failure all the years he ran Philadelphia's operation? Beane's done an exceptional job, he's made football fun again in Buffalo, the Bills are relevant, but he's not perfect, and yet, perfection is expected. 

4 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

people get injured sometimes. It’s the NFL. 

True, but he’s hurt way too much.  Some people are just injury prone. 

Also, we should probably draft a DT.  We have nobody under contract for next year.  

On 3/19/2023 at 9:52 AM, khlax3 said:

Currently the bills have between 9 and 11 open roster spots on their 53 man roster. With 6 draft picks this bills will add at least 4 more free agents who will make the 53. Here is the breakdown:

QB: No more additions (Allen and Allen)

RB: 1 more addition (cook, Hines Gilliam) we will add one more back and I think it will be in FA. I don’t think they would want to go into the season with just cook and Hines and a rookie. Fornette and Elliot make sense because they don’t count against comp. Damien Harris is another option

TE: 1 more addition (Knox, Morris) they will add a guy here a with a deep draft at the position I expect it will be in the draft rather than a FA

WR: 2 more additions (diggs, Davis, shakir, harty) I am thinking one FA and one in the draft. There are two options here go with a more expensive vet and then draft a WR late or draft receiver early and go with an older cheaper vet. My vote would be Jarvis Landry to solidify the slot with shakir and then draft a wr early on the outside)

OL: 2 more addition (Dawkins, McGovern, Morse, Bates, Brown) I would expect a FA tackle (Shell has beeen rumored) and draft a C/G prospect in mid rounds

DT: 1 more addition (Oliver, Settle, Jones). They could go with a guy like Bryant to fill out the roster but I think it will be a mid round draft pick

DE: 1 more addition (Miller, Groot, Epenesa, Basham) if the bills think Miller will be good to go to start season maybe they go with a late round pick or bring back lawson. My preference would be to grab an older vet on cheap 1 year deal (Ingram, clowned, Houston, someone that is still producing but not going to cost a lot)

LB: 1 more addition (Milano, Bernard, Dodson, matekovich, Spector) Wagner. Would solidify this group if not I expect an early draft pick

Secondary: 0-2 additions (poyer, Hyde, Hamlin, mayden, white, benford, Elam, Neal, lewis, Jackson) this position may not need anything but it depends what they want to do. Does mayden make the 53. They signed him for a 2 year deal so I think so. Is Hamlin back this season? Does benford move to saftey? Do they cut Neal? If they stay as is they are set. If Hamlin mayden or Neal are not available or don’t make team they need to backfill.

Based on needs I see the bills doing the following in the draft 

rounds 1-3: some combination of MLB, WR, TE

rounds 4-6: some combination of IOL, DT, DB

I think your roster spots are really good but I think the draft may go very unusually. I always thought it would be WR/MLB/OT round 1 but they may shock us and they may also trade back a few times and go bulk. I think they may really go for multiple DTs looking at the contract situations and ages on our interior DL. 

8 hours ago, Ponch said:

Thank you for that. I understand where you're coming from better now. I too am self employed and I think you'd agree that to be successful in whatever you or I do doesn't mean you must be THE best at what you do? Often times if you GIVE your best, are honest and treat people as you'd want to be treated, you'll be successful and you can sleep at night. But that's not so in Pro Sports, is it? The patience wears thin pretty fast. Should Philly have kept Reid? Would they now be basking in 2 more Trophies if they did? Did they succeed by cutting their losses when they did? Or was it a failure because they let him go? Was Reid a failure all the years he ran Philadelphia's operation? Beane's done an exceptional job, he's made football fun again in Buffalo, the Bills are relevant, but he's not perfect, and yet, perfection is expected. 

Well said, let’s hope for the best. He seems like a guy who’s easy to root for.

9 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

people get injured sometimes. It’s the NFL. 

He gets injured all the time. And then he tries to limp through the season, which is commendable, but he loses his effectiveness.

I’m deep diving here

Interesting under the radar edge guy, small school guy Oshane Ximines. Rookie year plays some DE, has 4.5 sacks as a rookie, second year he tears his rotator cuff and has surgery, it takes him awhile to get back. By then Pat Shurmur is fired, Joe Judge comes in. He get kind of lost in the shuffle. Daboll comes in and he moves to

OLB and has 2 sacks. Became a rotational piece. 

I feel like he has been a bit of a victim of circumstance, I’d love to see what he can do as a rotational DE to complement the rest of the guys we have, a younger Shaq replacement with upside. He is a free agent and it doesn’t look like he is getting much of a look. The Bills had him in for a private workout visit during the 2019 draft year. Excellent first step, violent hands, and great bend, natural pass rush traits.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I’m deep diving here

Interesting under the radar edge guy, small school guy Oshane Ximines. Rookie year plays some DE, has 4.5 sacks as a rookie, second year he tears his rotator cuff and has surgery, it takes him awhile to get back. By then Pat Shurmur is fired, Joe Judge comes in. He get kind of lost in the shuffle. Daboll comes in and he moves to

OLB and has 2 sacks. Became a rotational piece. 

I feel like he has been a bit of a victim of circumstance, I’d love to see what he can do as a rotational DE to complement the rest of the guys we have, a younger Shaq replacement with upside. He is a free agent and it doesn’t look like he is getting much of a look. The Bills had him in for a private workout visit during the 2019 draft year. Excellent first step, violent hands, and great bend, natural pass rush traits.

Sounds good. Nice research!! 

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.