Bills reportedly interested in Jamaal Williams

SCBills

6 hours ago, folz said:

I'd be fine running it back with Motor, Cook, and Hines. It's not like we are going to turn into a run team all of a sudden. We are still going to live or die by the pass. And at this point, there isn't a significantly better player out there than Devin in FA.

Why would we pay more for Sanders or Williams? 

Devin: 4 years, 3,151 yards and 16 TDs on 672 carries (4.7 yards/carry); 971 receiving yards, 4 receiving TDs

Sanders: 4 years, 3,708 yards and 20 TDs on 739 carries (5.0 yards/carry); 942 receiving yards, 3 receiving TDs

Williams: 6 years, 3652 yards and 30 TDs on 915 carries (4.0 yards/carry); 1,191 receiving yards, 8 receiving TDs

And before you get too excited about Williams' TD total: he had 17 of those TDs this past season. 15 of those 17 TDs came inside the 7-yard line, 12 of 17 came within the 3-yard line (the other two were 13 yards and 51 yards). He wasn't scoring homeruns for Detroit, they were giving him the ball at the three-yard line and he was punching it in.

Why should we overpay for either of those guys over keeping Devin? Sanders' stats are marginally better than Motor's, and Williams' stats are worse than Devin's overall. Now, if one of them comes significantly cheaper than Devin, I'm fine making the switch, but otherwise, no thanks.

The hope would be that Cook is ready to take the next step and takes over as the #1, Devin is #2, and get Hines more involved (3rd downs, certain packages, etc.). All three of these backs are good catching out of the backfield. I think Dorsey could get creative with these guys, using them more in the passing game (even splitting them out wide at times, etc.). If Cook turns out not to be ready, then Motor is the guy (that we know has a decent floor), with Hines helping more in the passing game.

If we bring in Sanders or Williams (at a decent contract) there will probably be a need to make them the #1 or at least make sure to get them their touches. Could this impede Cook's trajectory? Whereas Cook and Devin have known each other since they were kids, Devin is a team-first guy and good mentor. Devin knows our team and offense. That's a lot of pluses, imo, to Motor. And if he comes cheaper (not sure what each guy is expecting), seems a no-brainer to me.

Now if Barkley, Jacobs, or Pollard didn't re-sign with their teams, I'd be up for talking free agent running backs. But those guys would obviously be an upgrade. I don't see any upgrades with what is left in free agency.

P.S. And to add Zeke into the equation. Last 4 years:

Zeke (yds/carry; yds/rec)                  Devin (yds/carry; yds/rec)

2019                 4.5; 7.8                                                     5.1; 6.7

2020                 4.0; 6.5                                                    4.4; 7.1

2021                 4.2; 6.1                                                     4.6; 5.7

2022                 3.8; 5.4                                                    4.6; 7.4

Imagine Motor's TDs if they could hand it to him at the 3 and watch him score.  That's part of the point really.  

6 hours ago, folz said:

I'd be fine running it back with Motor, Cook, and Hines. It's not like we are going to turn into a run team all of a sudden. We are still going to live or die by the pass. And at this point, there isn't a significantly better player out there than Devin in FA.

Why would we pay more for Sanders or Williams? 

Devin: 4 years, 3,151 yards and 16 TDs on 672 carries (4.7 yards/carry); 971 receiving yards, 4 receiving TDs

Sanders: 4 years, 3,708 yards and 20 TDs on 739 carries (5.0 yards/carry); 942 receiving yards, 3 receiving TDs

Williams: 6 years, 3652 yards and 30 TDs on 915 carries (4.0 yards/carry); 1,191 receiving yards, 8 receiving TDs

And before you get too excited about Williams' TD total: he had 17 of those TDs this past season. 15 of those 17 TDs came inside the 7-yard line, 12 of 17 came within the 3-yard line (the other two were 13 yards and 51 yards). He wasn't scoring homeruns for Detroit, they were giving him the ball at the three-yard line and he was punching it in.

Why should we overpay for either of those guys over keeping Devin? Sanders' stats are marginally better than Motor's, and Williams' stats are worse than Devin's overall. Now, if one of them comes significantly cheaper than Devin, I'm fine making the switch, but otherwise, no thanks.

The hope would be that Cook is ready to take the next step and takes over as the #1, Devin is #2, and get Hines more involved (3rd downs, certain packages, etc.). All three of these backs are good catching out of the backfield. I think Dorsey could get creative with these guys, using them more in the passing game (even splitting them out wide at times, etc.). If Cook turns out not to be ready, then Motor is the guy (that we know has a decent floor), with Hines helping more in the passing game.

If we bring in Sanders or Williams (at a decent contract) there will probably be a need to make them the #1 or at least make sure to get them their touches. Could this impede Cook's trajectory? Whereas Cook and Devin have known each other since they were kids, Devin is a team-first guy and good mentor. Devin knows our team and offense. That's a lot of pluses, imo, to Motor. And if he comes cheaper (not sure what each guy is expecting), seems a no-brainer to me.

Now if Barkley, Jacobs, or Pollard didn't re-sign with their teams, I'd be up for talking free agent running backs. But those guys would obviously be an upgrade. I don't see any upgrades with what is left in free agency.

P.S. And to add Zeke into the equation. Last 4 years:

Zeke (yds/carry; yds/rec)                  Devin (yds/carry; yds/rec)

2019                 4.5; 7.8                                                     5.1; 6.7

2020                 4.0; 6.5                                                    4.4; 7.1

2021                 4.2; 6.1                                                     4.6; 5.7

2022                 3.8; 5.4                                                    4.6; 7.4

why is this a negative...How well did we run the ball inside the 10 yd line? I think each TD is worth 6 points regardless of how it's scored.

the answer at RB is,   a better friggen OLine.   any RB is hard pressed to get much going behind our usual OLines.   Devin routinely has to dodge guys 3 yards in the backfield.  its not because hes just sitting there waiting for them to tackle him.   has been an issue for awhile.   one of the biggest reason we cant close out games and get in so many shootouts.   even Josh running around is usually due to guys in the backfield immediately.

people looking for that magic RB thats going to cure all our running game problems.   he doesnt exist.   

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

On 3/11/2023 at 6:12 PM, SCBills said:

What is very hard to understand is why in the world would the Lions let him out of the building ? I know everyone thinks he may want to much money but looking at what he signed for with his new team that money wasn't generational money as they call it .

10 hours ago, JoPoy88 said:

good breakdown 👍. Honestly I don’t know what the answer is at RB. i am hoping it’s a combination of Cook and Hines so they can focus on WR and OL. 

Man, I completely agree. With your response and Folz post. I don’t feel comfortable saying our backs suck. They’ve shown flashes. Before we hang them, I think a review of the coaching room from the RB coaches up to the OC is in order. I believe these guys can play. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.