Could Dion Dawkins be an "elite" Guard??

Special K

12 hours ago, Special K said:

In one of the million mock drafts out there, (don't remember which website or news outlet it was from) the Mock had the Bills selecting Broderick Jones T Georgia. The writer went on to say that if the Bills go this route and select a LT prospect in round 1, it would allow them to slide Dion Dawkins from LT to LG: "where he would go from being an above average tackle, to being an elite guard."

Does anyone agree with line of thinking, and more importantly, does anyone think this scenario could be on the Bills radar?

Thoughts?

I do agree with that line of thinking. I think DD would be a monster at OG...

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, TheBeaneBandit said:

I don't think anyone is saying he HAS to move.....only if the chips fell a certain way then a shuffling would be on the table. 

Yea, if BPA in Rd 1 is an LT, you can take him and not worry about over-drafting an OG at that pick. Heck I wouldnt mind a good LT in Rd 2 either if there isnt a good one at # 27

• Like (+1) 1

No way an OT better than Dion falls to 27. Even if it happened, it's still a draft pick, and you can't bank on that player outperforming a very solid vet. I would much rather see them take a G at 27 - even if it's a T who is then converted to G.

He has really ALWAYS looked like a guard to me.

Just because a natural guard CAN play left tackle capably doesn't mean that he's not still a natural guard. Like Cordy Glenn before him, he is a natural guard that has the foot quickness and other necessary traits to be a good (not great) tackle.

While it's doubtful that the Bills could get a tackle prospect as late as they pick in round 1 that would be better than Dion at LT, if they COULD....this is a move that should be considered.

Edited by Logic
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, Logic said:

Just because a natural guard CAN play left tackle capably doesn't mean that he's not still a natural guard. Like Cordy Glenn before him, he is a natural guard that has the foot quickness and other necessary traits to be a good (not great) tackle.

While it's doubtful that the Bills could get a tackle prospect as late as they pick in round 1 that would be better than Dion at LT, if they COULD....this is a move that should be considered.

Peter Skoronoski is already just as good as Dawkins IMO. If he is there at 27, I’m taking him and asking Dawkins to help the team anyways possible. He’s still getting paid high money, so he’s not going to be asked to take a pay cut. We could use his talents elsewhere. 

3 minutes ago, Logic said:

Cordy Glenn Had a longer and better career at tackle Than guard 

a left tackle who is consistent and doesn’t miss games… Dawkins is absolutely in the top 12…. Is way more valuable than what he could be as a guard

He would be at Right tackle well before Guard

he isn’t quinton Nelson 

Edited by Buffalo716

16 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

Not really, everyone knows we need help at LG. Skoronoski is one of the best LT prospects in while. 

So lets take solid starting LT and move him to a new position and maybe we can draft a guy to fill the void?

How sure are you that the Bills could draft him?  He is a top 10 on some Big Boards and we draft at what 27.  What are you willing to give to move up?  

How sure are you that he will be better than Dion at OT?

And he is a quote about this guy

“He’s a Pro Bowler at guard but just an average tackle if a team keeps him there.” -- Executive for NFC team

Just now, Logic said:

You've said this a few times now. Your stance on this matter is clear.

Because I don’t know how anyone thinks he would go to guard before replacing the turnstile at RT

Brown would be Swing tackle way before Dawkins is just kicked inside 

28 minutes ago, Logic said:

Yes in the brief time that Dion Dawkins spent filling in for Richie Incognito at guard as a rookie he stood out.   He looked much better than Incognito.   And Incognito was still quite good at the time.   He's older now and hasn't taken care to have himself in the best of shape for many years(in addition to a near death experience with Covid) but I do suspect he'd still be an excellent guard.   He has the power, the feet and the low center of gravity that not all tackles have.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.