Could Dion Dawkins be an "elite" Guard??

Special K

plenty of tackles have moved inside and improved their relative play level.

getting better at OT would improve more than just those positions, so i'm happy to do that.

i really hope brown was trash last season because of his messed up back.  if he can fix that and get back on track it would be a huge help for the line.

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Riverboat Ritchie said:

Josh has the stuff to be a decent TE. Lol. Start Barkley at QB and just throw slants to Josh. 

Good grief its fun to imagine.  Josh is a gosh damb wrecking ball lol his hs coaches should be ashamed for not giving him a few redzone snaps lol

What is with this obsession of moving every good tackle to guard?

Every time we get a good tackle in the building, the thought process goes “yes he’s good at tackle, but he’d be a GREAT guard” … we don’t know if he’d be good, we don’t know if he’d be willing to do it, and we DO know he’s an above average starter at one of the most important positions in the league.

Im gonna start calling this “drought mentality.”

Dont have “drought mentality.”

10 hours ago, Special K said:

In one of the million mock drafts out there, (don't remember which website or news outlet it was from) the Mock had the Bills selecting Broderick Jones T Georgia. The writer went on to say that if the Bills go this route and select a LT prospect in round 1, it would allow them to slide Dion Dawkins from LT to LG: "where he would go from being an above average tackle, to being an elite guard."

Does anyone agree with line of thinking, and more importantly, does anyone think this scenario could be on the Bills radar?

Thoughts?

I've heard this talked about on 1 Bills Live too & i think Dion is willing to do what ever the team needs him to do & if they can get a top LT in the draft that would definitely make this a possibility & it would be this way until Dion needs to be resigned so I'd be game for it especially if the LT was or had a elite ceiling .

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BeastMode54 said:

when he was drafted he was projected to be a top guard but Nix wanted him at tackle

You must be thinking of Cordy Glenn as Nix was not here when we got Dion (though reports did have Dawkins projecting as a good guard)

• Like (+1) 1

I think Dawkins in good where he is.   My question would Brown be better moved inside as he get burnt with the speed rush.   Would he be capable of moving inside and getting an upgrade in right tackle?   

52 minutes ago, T master said:

I've heard this talked about on 1 Bills Live too & i think Dion is willing to do whatever the team needs him to do & if they can get a top LT in the draft that would definitely make this a possibility & it would be this way until Dion needs to be resigned so I'd be game for it especially if the LT was or had a elite ceiling .

Next year Dion will be 30 and it is the last year of his contract.  His cost probably will be pushing $20M per year or more.

A decision will have to be made next year at OBD as to his future.  It may be a tough one.

IF and it's a big IF, Dion "at that time" says he would be willing to move to G for lower pay there is some merit to this idea.

I think it's a year too early to consider any of this, but fans have to realize that these contracts roll over pretty quickly and Beane

and company have to factor all this stuff in continuously.  FWIW, Milano, Taron Johnson and Morse (if he's still with the team) are all up

the same year.  I say the last part to offset the "cap always goes up" talk with the reality that the cost of keeping your own also increases.

36 minutes ago, Bray Wyatt said:

You must be thinking of Cordy Glenn as Nix was not here when we got Dion (though reports did have Dawkins projecting as a good guard)

yea you're right. I think I remember hearing Mel Kiper talk about how Dawkins projected as a good guard in the NFL

I'm not against the concept of Dawkins someday moving to guard, but it raises a few questions for me:

• Has Dawkins ever played guard in the NFL, college or high school?
  • Does Dawkins have interest or willingness to play guard?
  • If he moved to guard, who would replace him at LT?
  • If a drafted rookie was to take over at LT, does it make sense to put a rookie there now, with the Bills still in their "window" to win it all (which may be rapidly closing)
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.